.41 Magnum Flat Top

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I just took delivery on a Flat Top .41 Magnum BH. Overall impressions are: good but not great blueing, similar to the Lipsey's .44 Spl's. Slight cylinder turn mark on two of the bolt cuts, I assume from the test firing. Sample spent cartridge dated, 10-20-09, Serial # 87-80426. Only one problem with the gun that's apparent without shooting...it's missing one screw on the bottom of the trigger guard...the off side (opposite to the loading gate).

A call to Ruger's customer service put me #5 in line to the NH factory; the wait was less than 5 minutes and the agent was knowledgeable and dropped two of them in the mail. I couldn't be happier with his attitude regarding my problem.

I wonder about quality control...but stuff happens occasionally, even I screw up from time to time.

I'm not in a hurry to shoot this one...may even leave it as a safe queen due to the off caliber and flat top configuration. I've got a NM BH for shooting but this one does have a steel frame and hangs better in my hand. We'll see...

Regards, Rodfac

P2021006.jpg

P2021008.jpg

P2021007.jpg

Three44s

Single-Sixer
Me too! Having it as a safe queen ...... I just could not stand it!

Congrats on your new revolver. I handled one briefly in a local gunshop and had to hot foot it outa there ....... as it was calling me LOUDLY!!

Three 44s

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
I picked up one of these beauties at a local gun show about a week and a half ago. It was in better shape then yours. I will be taking it to the range today and giving it a work out.

I loaded up some Laser Cast 215 gr SWC with some Unique and WC820. I will be looking for a good mid-range load. I also have some jacketed bullets, XTP and soft points. I will be loading them up on Thursday.

This is the thing I like best about a new gun and caliber. I like to do the testing.

chet15

Hawkeye
hutchman":fj017nby said:
Great looking NM Flattop! You gotta really wonder how they missed the screw though........

We got one in brand new that was missing three grip frame screws. The only two that were in it were the two behind the trigger guard. Wonder how that one went through the 6 proofload test without the cyl.frame and barrel slapping the shooter in the forehead?
Heard of another .41 flattop getting out without an ejector housing. How'd that one get test fired?
This weekend heard of a brand New Single-Six that was taken out of the box also without an ejector housing.
And saw a brand new Super Redhawk without a rear sight.
Now here's the real kicker...a guy this weekend told me about a brand new Super Redhawk he received in .454 Casull. Took it out to shoot a few rounds and there were comments all-round about how much flame was coming out of the barrel. A little closer examination revealed that the gun did indeed have a .454 cylinder, but the barrel was for their .480!!! Now what are the odds that this particular situation could be flipped-flopped...a .480 cylinder with a .454 barrel? Well...apparently 50/50?? That doesn't bode well for Ruger's legal team.
For maybe just a few $ more, and few better-trained employees, Ruger would be saving themselves a big future embarassment. I'm not usually a pessimist, but its going to happen.
Chet15

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Heck...counting the number of screws in the frame and ensuring the ejector rod housing has been installed are no brainers...what's the problem?

Ruger has done a good job of upgrading their manufacturing tolerances at least in the six examples I've been using for the past year, they do need to address these most obvious lapses however. In other words, put the "K" back in quality control!

Rodfac

Digger

Bearcat
Nice looking piece. Can't say that I've experienced any significant quality control issues with Ruger, but I am glad they made things right so readily.

jengel

Bearcat
I'm surprised to see one of them used for sale. I still have a new one sitting here on the shelf. I have thought long and hard on buying it but I already have two Ruger .41 guns.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Just an update...got my screws from Ruger in the mail yesterday...about 3 days enroute. The necessary one fits and the gun is back in the safe...at least for the time being. Good customer service from Ruger.
Rodfac

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I have no "safe queens". I figure that one of the "perks" of owning an extra desirable arm is to actually SHOOT IT! If I'm the first to do it, (after proofing at factory that is) then great! No sleep lost...

Rodfac

Blackhawk
We pretty much think alike on that count, Bucks. Rodfac

I'm weakening but haven't given in...son #2 is in Afganistan and it'll probably be his on return...maybe he'd like to be the one to do the honors. It's one of the fun things in shooting to find out just how good the new blued steel beauty really is...like opening the Christmas packages.

Rod

w18764560

Bearcat
AMEN...specially the 41mag...
GOD bless the kids who are in harms way..wishin' I was younger so I could be doin' my part to rid the world of tyranny!

w18764560

Bearcat
Hey ah...ifin' ya don't want it 'cause itsa missin' some parts ere...I'd be awillin ta take her off yer 'ands...pardner...ya know, ah...ease yer pain!
Hee Hee