41 magnum bisley to SBH grip frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chilcotin

Bearcat
Need opinions and advise:
I have been looking for a 41 magnum with 7 1/2 inch barrel to hunt for some time and finally found one in bisley and was able to trade for it. This is my first bisley but after reading posts on here was eager to get it. I worked up some strong loads for it and it is very accurate 1 1/2 inch group at 35 yrds. Just 1 problem I have very large hands and with trying a leather glove, it is really unconfortable on middle finger with results a very sore knuckle. I have hunted with a SBH 44 mag for over 40 years without a problem and sore fingers. So my question is how hard is it to put a SBH grip frame on a New Model Blackhawk Bisley and how much should I expect to spend on this. I forgot to say the 41 mag bisley has a fluted cylinder so I plan on keeping the bisley grip frame and what ever I need to replace to make gun back to original configeration when I want. Any advise or suggestion anyone can provide, or any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
Some of the custom revolver 'smiths sometimes alter the Bisley grip frame by taking some metal off,where the middle finger sits.This creates some more space so your finger doesn't get rapped by the trigger guard.If that would create enough space for you,that would be a relatively simple fix,along with altering the grips to match the new grip frame profile.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Simple change. Can either go the "in the white" route which would require fitting to your cylinder frame and finishing or keep an eye out for a take-off that'll more than likely be darn close enough, especially for a using gun.
If you go the first route, consider John Gallagher for the work. He's done a few for me (BH to Bisley) and does fantastic work for a very good price.
Keep in mind if you change to a non-Bisley grip frame, you'll need to change the hammer as well or else re-radius your Bisley hammer. SBH hammers easy enough to get ahold of though.

contender

Ruger Guru
If you prefer the SBH grip frame, then by all means, get one & swap them out. The screw holes all line up. As you've mentioned, keep all the original hardware & you can restore it to it's original condition. It's an easy swap!

roylt

Hunter
Very easy swap. $ 200 ish for parts plus labor.

With that said, if you don't like the bisley, you could sell it and buy a new 41 for cheap. I think there was a 41 in the classifieds not too long ago.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
BlkHawk73 said:
Simple change. Can either go the "in the white" route which would require fitting to your cylinder frame and finishing or keep an eye out for a take-off that'll more than likely be darn close enough, especially for a using gun.
If you go the first route, consider John Gallagher for the work. He's done a few for me (BH to Bisley) and does fantastic work for a very good price.
Keep in mind if you change to a non-Bisley grip frame, you'll need to change the hammer as well or else re-radius your Bisley hammer. SBH hammers easy enough to get ahold of though.
Gripframe, hammer and trigger. The Bisley trigger can be made to work but it has to be ground down or the slot in the gripframe lengthened. To keep all parts stock, replace the trigger also. :D

Latest posts