41 mag = buy or not

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I have the opportunity to purchase a used Ruger 41 mag, new model, 4 5/8" barrel; looks to be in good shape - holster wear at the muzzle, slight turn ring, no rust, clean, no box or papers; I would use it as a shooter. Asking price is $350; initial conversation is that they may come off this price about 10%.

Background - I have just purchased a 44 mag this year and have bought all the items to start reloading. I understand that the availability of 41 mag ammo is such that handloading would be required as well; so I would just need the dies. With the shortage of primers and other components; the 41 mag would probably sit in the safe for a while until components get more readily available, and I am focusing on getting better with 44 mag.
Should I buy it, is it at a decent ballpark price? What say you my fellow Ruger friends?

Rex Driver

Bearcat
I have two 41 mag new modle blackhawks 4 5/8 and I love them. You are right about reloading for them and to get started it is not cheap like the 38 spl.
I got lucky and found a set of three carbide lee 41mag dies at all places, Gander Mt. for about $29 and have been able to get large pistol primers for a while now as I use them to reload for my bisley in 45 colt. The most expensive and hard to find item was the brass which I had to purchase by the 100, ouch. I bought 500 cases for about $27 per hundred. By all means get the 41 mag, I know I am looking for another, either vaquero or blackhawk in that caliber. Looking for a 6 1/2 inch blackhawk in 41 mag at this time.

sebtool

Blackhawk
Sounds like a pretty fair deal. Especially if you can get him down a little. I wouldn't sell my 6" for that!

If you keep an eye out on the various forums you can pick up some pretty good deals on brass and dies. I got an assortment on here just after I joined a few months back, and believe I have an extra .41 mag die set out of the deal. But it would be hard to beat $29 for a carbide set, that's for sure!

Sometimes even 'feebay' comes up with something useable - I have a saved search on there that I need to renew. the main problem there is that they've got sellers believing that they have to accept paypal only, and that's a major scam, not to mention a conflict of interest.

The good thing about loading the .41 is that it seems to digest a wide range of powders pretty well. As I recall, I settled on 2400 for most of mine.(It's been awhile - been working waaaay too much...) I'm sure there are others on here with alot more experience to help you head in the right direction as well.

A couple hundred brass and some cast bullets, and you'd be ready to go! Just wipe her down good before you put her in the safe, and she'll be rarin' to go when you pull her out!

And pretty soon you'll be asking yourself why you were even messin' with that .44.... :)

I feel its a bit too high, as well as too close to what you have going ( or are trying too...) with the.44 mag.... unless "someday" you want to fill ALL of the niches, in the caliber world ( as some say ,buy them all...) but me being more realistic ( pragmatic) to me, its either one or the other,to many others out there along the spectrum of calibers....now the the time to "move" is when the 'item' is an absolute deal ( borderline steal) and you'd be foolish to pass it up, as I often say , makes for good tradebait down the road........
bottom line, I'd stick with the .44 mag, and its 'offshoot' the 'special" makes more sense, is more practical...........
either way, its up to YOU , and for YOU to do and enjoy..........

22-rimfire

Bearcat
I feel that it may be just a tad high. But if you want one, I wouldn't let $25 stand in my way. I bought a new one two years ago for $340 at Sportsman's Warehouse. I know there have been price increases since, however, but I suspect the gun is priced for about what they paid for it new not that this should kill a sale.

I have purchased 41 mag dies on Ebay for $25. Just keep your eyes open.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I have a .41 mag and like shooting it.

I was given an extra set of dies and a whole lot of bullets and would make you a good deal on the dies and about as many bullets as you might want.

Post or send me an email or PM or something if you want to price the dies and some bullets.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Thanks for all of your input. I went back and handled it again today and decided to pass on it. The more I thought about it, the more I began to feeling like rugerguy's comments agreed with what gave me pause to start with. Also, I have my heart set on buying a Bisley SBH Hunter next so that I can have a scoped 44 to pair with the 5.5" SBH that I currently have.
I just do not think I want to add another caliber to my reloading mix until I get the 44 experimentations out of my system.

I do appreciate all of the responses from you, it helps to get differing points of view.

Chuckbuster

Single-Sixer
I sort of agree with much of what has been said above but just had to throw in my vote for the .41 MAG

DSC00036.jpg

Kevin

Chuckbuster

Single-Sixer
The .41 Mag Blackhawk was the firearm of choice for the day. Was hunting with my Dad (80 years old) in his woods in Indiana, opening day this year. Buck came in about 5 minutes before 1 in the afternoon. We were gong to break for lunch at 1!!!

Load was a 245 gr Hard Cast Gas Checked. Sort of a "keith" style that my Brother in Law made the mold for me then cast the bullets. 20.5gr of H110. One shot, about 35 yards, just behind the shoulder, took out the front of the lungs. He ran about 60 yards and dropped dead. What they say about cast bullets is true, you can "eat right up to the hole".

By the way, the stock panels are Zebrawood from 41 Magnum.

Here is another pic with Dad.
Thanx
Kevin
ShadyCoveBuck2009.jpg