41 mag Bisley ? OK ,, the enablers win,,,AGAIN

Help Support Ruger Forum:

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Sorry , I guess I never really paid attention.
Friend has a new model 41 Bisley he wants to move out and asked me about it.
Roll engraved un fluted and adj. sights , I believe 7 1/2" but may be wrong. Blue with a very nice with a touch of purple to the frame.
Caught me off guard . Seems I know little about them .
I know they are not rare but are they unusual ?
Standard Blackhawk /Bisley pricing for the same condition ?
Thanks for any opinions.

NikA

Buckeye
If it's a stainless Hunter with the scope ring cutouts, this was a fairly recent run (maybe distributor exclusive?) and I don't think they were all that popular as CDNN was closing them out for quite a while. Normal pricing for a BH Hunter, I'd say.

Onty

Single-Sixer
IMHO 41 Magnum Bisley is a shooter´s gun. If you want to shoot on the range, you will love it. I enjoyed it more than any other revolver. With 210-220 grain bullet, at 1100-1200 fps you will have lot of fun, especially if you shoot half scale silhouettes. This revolver has a perfect balance of weight and power, and with noted loads, you can shoot all day long, you hands wouldn't tingle. I tried the same with 44 Magnum, using 240-250 grain at 1100-1200 fps, my hands will let me know it's enough after less than 100 rounds. Yes, some folks could take more, but not too many.

BTW, I had also Bisley 357 magnum, sold it soon. Too much weight for this round. On top of that, I found I am pushing full throttle; not good for brass, and with prolonged shooting forcing cone erosion will show up, especially when using double base powders.

Noted 41 Magnum Bisley is STRONG revolver, and has the same frame as NM BLACKHAWK in 357 Magnum and 45 LC, and NM SUPER BLACKHAWK 44 Magnum.

I had an original .357 Bisley that I bought used in Idaho back sometime in the early 1980s. Kinda hated it until I got to NYS and started hunting from a tree stand. The thing weighed almost as much as a rifle (which was why I hated to pack it a long Idaho way), but sitting up in an NYS tree stand, it was rock steady and a real deer rifle at close range. Killed five bucks with it before falling in love with a used blue half-lug GP-100 and using it for the rest of the 19 years I hunted deer there. Still have it.

Never had a .41 Bisley, but it seems like it would extend the range of the Bisley for deer over the .357 quite a bit.

Needsmostuff:
I've got that model you describe, the blued Bisley in 41. It's a great gun, accurate and easy to load for.

I bought some 210 bullets, but they are actually closer to 215. I don't know what factory ammo costs for the 41 mag. I've never bought any. I imagine right now it's expensive and hard to find.

But I paid around $600 for my Blackhawk about 4 years ago if that helps. You don't mention how much your friend wants to sell his revolver.

I don't think they are rare, but at the same time I don't see them for sale very often. I think Ruger made the same gun in 357 and 45 as well.

contender

Ruger Guru
I had an old man once tell me this;
"A man who owns & understands a .41 magnum revolver is an educated man, listen to him!"

G2

Hunter
I have the 5.5" Stainless Bisley "AccuSport" version.
Bought it on a whim when they first came out, it has become my favorite revolver.
I don't shoot factory ammo, in favor of handloading, from mild plinking rounds to heavy hitters, it's just a pleasure to shoot.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Thanks to all for the thoughts. I have been a 41 mager for years so I understand the obsession.
What I was looking more for was opinions if the blue 7 1/2" Bisley was a scarce thingey or common and I just have not seen them.

G2

Hunter
needsmostuff said:
What I was looking more for was opinions if the blue 7 1/2" Bisley was a scarce thingey or common and I just have not seen them.

Yes you are, looks like we all got excited to share our love for the .41.

There not rare or limited in production numbers (ie ~100-200) The fluted cylinder was first out as WBR didn't care for the roll-mark and wanted to get the guns out.
Thus the fluted cylinder is the "scarce" one.

Like all of the calibers produced, the .41 always seems to be the "lowest" numbers produced. Demand vs Supply

When these do come up for sale, My experience is there can be some real good buys, My thinking is the seller doesn't really know what they have or appreciate the fine attributes of the .41 magnum.

Seeing a fair to higher price... Seller knows. :wink:

smith1961

Blackhawk
The blue Bisley .41's are masterpieces. I had the 1987 "somewhat rare" fluted and unfired, in box & shipper. Recently sold it to one of our friends on the forum up in Alaska. He will shoot it and use it God bless him. I have a .41 Liberty BH and a .41 Flattop both 4& 5/8ths. I have made it my life's mission to TRY to get somebody to do a .41 Vaquero, but I'm pretty sure I ticked off Jason @ Lipsey's
In any event the .41 Bisley with that 7.5" barrel will be a joy for anyone.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
There aren't that many of them around, maybe 2000 or so for the fluted, 3000ish for the roll marked. Can't remember RENEs numbers off the top of my head. Either way, they aren't common or commonly found. 44 and 45 Bisleys are bringing big bucks now and they were mass produced compared to the 41s.

I've seen some slip by on auction sites for 500 or so. Hell, I bought a roll marked one from John Gallagher with one of his action jobs for $400. And others bring 750-800 in good condition with their box and papers. Fluted usually bring more, roll marked usually less. Theres a guy on a local forum selling a fluted one with box, papers, etc and he's asking 795.

Every one I've shot, quite a few, have been extremely accurate.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I was gonna post a pic of mine that I dearly love, but then I noticed the OP was asking about a blued, 7 1/2" bbl..... What the hell, here's mine:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks for the thanks..... it took me 43 years to finally warm up to a New Model :)

J.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Enablers win again.
Guess I can't blame ya'll too much , more of a perfect storm.
I shared your info with the fella and he headed off to a gunshow.
It seems all the .41 lovers were absent that day but the sniveling lowballers were out in force.
According to the many that looked at it was too long or too short, too heavy, had the wrong grip frame and non-factory grips. The beautiful plum colored frame (does not show in the kind of dark pictures ) was "funny colored" , obviously a re-blue and there was no box.
Obviously not worth more than $300 to $325,,,,,, some even less. Wisely he brought it home .
He said if he was gonna sell it to anyone for 300 it would be me. So I gave him $425 and I'm not even looking for a 41 mag hunting gun and in fact ALL of my 41s have been on the back burners for quite a while.
In fact the horn grips are shrunk and do fit poorly but that's an easy fix as the condition is almost unfired. I had NO choice , I had to give it a home.

So back in the deep dark stash corner of the safe it goes ,,,, Till I have a NEED.

414492790.jpg

414492791.jpg

So,,,,,, To them that know.
Serial # 47-077xx seems to come up as a 1986 but listed as a Blackhawk on the Ruger listing.
Were the counted in the standard BlackhawK totals ?

Don Lovel

Hunter
My favorite home gunsmith project I ever did was taking a 4 5/8" pawn shop rescue 41 mag and putting a Bisley grip frame and hammer on it. Made a great carry gun and with the 175gr Winchester Silvertip ammo was pretty good all around for personal defense, my girls could handle the recoil of that load easy and that pistol was their first centerfire magnum pistol experience.