41 Flattop observation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Picked up a new 41 mag Flattop last week and upon examination it appears the cylinder was reblued after fitting. Has anyone else noticed this? It also has the last 3 digits of the SN scribed on the cylinder before being reblued. I thought Ruger only did this on convertibles or when the gun was shipped back for work.

flatgate

Hawkeye
It may be a Quality Control measure. Perhaps the cylinder was marred and the QC person said "REBLUE the Cylinder"......

JMHO,

flatgate

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Yes, that end is blued over as well as the 6 "teeth" on the other end. It has the last 3 digits of the SN scribed that is blued over also.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Stuff happens. Until humans are flawless :roll: it's always possible something happened between finishing and packaging. Better to have it reblued than have it ship with a scratch.

Beaver Creek

Single-Sixer
JCW64, Mine is exactly as you describe, no evidence at all that any fitting was done after bluing except one light file stroke on the end of the gas ring. I'd rather think that Ruger's work process has changed, at least temporarily, to fit everything before bluing. Maybe others will chime in to contradict or support this theory.

lovesrugers

Bearcat
Hmm, I wonder maybe just maybe as an extra precaution they mark the 41 cylinders so that they don't accidentally install a 44 mag cylinder into a 41 mag gun? Of course this only applies to the current large frame flattop guns.

Jerry

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
JCW64, My .41 FT is also the same as yours. Perhaps Ruger did change their sequence, and blue after fitting now ? Good observation on your part !

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
My 41 FT has a "naked" gas ring end and "naked" teeth too. Etched numbers on cylinder and grip frame are blued over though.

Best fit Ruger I've seen lately. Almost zero endshake, tight b/c gap, minimal rotational cylinder movement with hammer down, NONE when cocked, and base pin/cylinder fit couldn't be tighter. Probably jinxed it now; probably won't shoot worth a lick.

Awesome finish too. All mating surfaces between cylinder frame and grip frame are flush and near invisible. Action smooth/trigger decent right out of the box. Contrary to all "the sky is falling" stories out there.

Latest posts