41 "Flat top"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

opos

Buckeye
Sorry to be a pest but I'm learning....I seem to be asking lots about flat top Ruger's lately but I am just a bit confused...the picture is of a "new and unfired" 1968 Ruger Blackhawk 41 mag, and it's listed as a "flat top" ....I just went through the "exercise" of understanding what a flat top is supposed to look like with a 44 magnum I am buying, and this gun appears to have the sight protecting rails and would therefore not be a flat top...the seller ...a dealer....is pretty specific that it's a "flat top"...I'm not going to quote anyone when I speak with him and also don't want to appear the fool if in fact this is a variation of a true flat top...any help or comments much appreciated...I think you have to click on the picture to make it bigger.
opos

oposbob
[/url][/img]

oposbob
[/url][/img]

oposbob
[/url][/img]

opos

Buckeye
gunhacker said:
If his shop has internet access, send him here: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-44Flattop.htm

Otherwise clink on that link and print it off yourself to take with you to the shop for a friendly "discussion". :wink:

I have one of the 44 special Lipsey flat tops (pic att'd) and I plan to just take it along with me..my area of concern was to make sure there was not any "variation" of the flat top...Seems Ruger has has a number of variations in some of their models from the beginning so didn't want to stir things up unless I was certain...I'd like to try and negotiate with him but I've always been a bit cautious about questioning a man when he has something for sale and is pretty "certain" of his facts....I've felt right along it was not a flat top but jsut wanted to get a little more secure in my thoughts...I'm not new to Rugers (I'm just a baby in the world of Ruger but have 15 of them at this time) but am new to the older ones and the differences in the earlier models..
Thanks for the inputs...

RugerHound

Hunter
If you look at your 1st image, you can see the protected-sight 'ears' begin about where the cylinder flutes begin.

Bottom line, if you can't put a straight edge (such as a business card) up against the sight and drag it side-to-side across the entire topstrap without interference or gaps, it ain't a flattop! ;)

THE .41 MAN

Single-Sixer
Nice old Ruger, but not a FT. I have a NM FT of each barrel length I got from Biebs I believe. I also have a couple .41Specials built on .357 FTs. Be nice and educate him.

opos

Buckeye
BlackEye said:
How much is he asking? The price is right could be a moot point where he can call it what he wishes.

Right now I don't know where he's going to land on asking price...just suffice for now that he's a couple of hundred above what I just gave for a 44 magnum super Blackhawk that was almost as nice (but missing the box..and I know the old boxes have value and had been fired maybe a total of 30 times or so..with a holster)...anyone want to chime in on what you think the 41 in question might be worth?

SAJohn

Hunter
Opos, This is what my non-prefix old model .41 magnum non-flattop looks like:
41MagA-1.jpg

Note that I have installed an old model super blackhawk hammer.

Here is my old model flattop .357:
357FlattopXR3-REDjpg.jpg

John

SAJohn

Hunter
p.s., That short barreled .41 magnum is my favorite woods packing pistol. Using a big for caliber 265 grain lead bullet, I load it with Unique to 1,100 fps and 700 ft-lbs for a tin can killer light recoil load that matches the power of the stoutest .357's. With a big fistful of H-110, my favorite T-Rex load goes 1300 fps and 1,000 ft-lbs of energy. That is safely top end and the recoil isn't as stingy and wrist braking as a full house .44 magnum.

There are many "knowledgable dealers" who will insist that any Old Model -- three-screw -- gun is a "flattop". It just ain't so, but it's usually not worth the hassle to disagree with 'em.

JMHO

:)