41 Cal Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

opos

Buckeye
I tried this before but must have missed something...I have a friend that is in touch with someone with a 41 Blackhawk...he said "A friend at work has a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Mag.; xlnt condition, pre-warning label on barrel. " I'm not familiar with the "pre warning" label and what it means...is that before the safety was changed on the Blackhawk or what..any help appreciated. I'm looking for a S/A Ruger and understand the Blackhawk is a dandy...I'm a bit concerned about ammo costs for the 41 and also availability...I have a GP100 in 357 and am in the market for a big S/A.
Thanks

flhr62

Single-Sixer
The warning is on the barrel. It is after the introduction of the transfer bar, or safety as you call it Someone will be along soon to give the exact date I'm sure.

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Here is the warning on the barrel on my .44 Mag 50th anniversary. Doesn't make it sure any better or worse.

Picture290-2.jpg

opos

Buckeye
Ok, so now I need to ask (I'm a bit uninformed on the Blackhawk series)...I had heard that Ruger offered a no cost "upgrade" to add the transfer bar for safety..is this correct, is it still offered, and if so does it change value to add it or just leave it alone? I'm assuming the "old style" is the one that can fire if the hammer is accidently hit while the firing pin is over a live round...so "carry 5" on the originals and "carry 6" is fine in the revised or new model...correct? Thanks

TDF

Single-Sixer
The New Models came out in 1973 the barrel warnings showed up in 1978.

(If my memory doesn't fail me)

TDF

jforwel

Bearcat
You're correct opos, but it's possible to be pre warning label but still be a new model which has the transfer bar and allows the carry of six rounds. Prior to 1973 old models had three screws instead of two pins in the frame.

If it is an old model and you want it upgraded you should remove the old model inner parts so that you can keep them with the gun should you ever decide to sell it, that will retain value. I have no experience myself but have heard that even though Ruger says they will return original parts some people say they have not gotten theirs back with the converted gun.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Yea, I sent in a bearcat that had a problem and they did the conversion and I didn't get the parts back. Not a big deal to me as my 'cat was not collector grade by any measure and I waned teh safety conversion as this will be used to teach my kids to shoot a handgun when they are ready.

As for the 41 ammo issue, I suggest that you give that careful consideration if you do not reload as finding factory 41 ammo is a bit of a challange, your options will be limited, and it is more expensive. If you are not looking to hunt with the gun, a good 357 allow you to shoot 357 as well as 38s and you can get that ammo anywhere and it will be cheaper too!

Buy a 357/9mm convertable blackhawk and you can shoot 9mm too but note that 9mm accuracy doesn't tend to be as good as 38 or 357 as the 9mm bullets are a little smaller in diameter.

Good luck and while I have not shot a single 41 Mag yet, I do have about four of them in my collection (sad state of things huh).

Latest posts