40 year's later,Dad's Gun's back home......More Photos added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

After a long 40 some thing year's, the one of my dad's gun's has made it back home, although my dad and I have always loved old Ruger's and collected them most of our lives', my dad was a "closet collector" I still have 90% of his pile, but I have sold or up-graded as the saying go's.

Here's is what I'm sure is one of the gun's he once owned, I held this gun in my hand's back in 1979-80, Im 99.9% sure this is the same gun. I was in the U.S Army back then and did not pay much attention to the guns back then (at that age and on Leave, all I wanted was beer and woman...LOL) He told me he traded that gun away to some one in the North East, and I thought nothing more of it.

As fate would have it, I always wondered about that gun, well it popped up one day for sale from some one from the North East, I was to late to buy the gun, out of town, traveling, not sure, but it was sold before I could make a move on it. Then I seen on this Forum....I was thrilled just to see it again....I contacted to new owner and informed him of the history of that gun, he said that he would sell of or trade it away and give me first shot.....He was a man of his word. (I'll not tell you his name as I do not have permission, as of yet) and I thank you!

Here's some interesting questions I have about the gun? Dougan's newest book shows this gun (I think) and it has a Polished XR-3 frame with stag grip's on it and say's it has no marking or SER# on it....the one I now have has a O/M super brass frame dragoon grip frame with large super wood grip panel's. I have not had time to take it apart and see if there are any marking's of SER# on the inside of the gun, but there are none on the outside.

NOTE: Dougan's book list it as being from the W.B. Ruger collection, book state's the name on the top is R.H Sefried II, that is incorrect as well, his name was H.H Sefried II....(type-o?) who knows. show's the gun in a case....

Is there more then one gun? or was there change's made to the Sefried gun? It has bee way to long of time for me to re-call if or what grip fame was on the gun 40 year's ago.....I may have a photo of my dad holding this gun, it's more then likely in New York....Ill be there in Nov.....and Ill be looking for it.

Thanks for the help if you know any more about the gun....Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I believe from what I can see, that your gun and the one pictured in the book are two different guns. Possibly a proto-type???

The frame in the picture is different from your gun and the hammer is not the same, note the "notch" cut in the hammer. How about a picture of the other side?

Great Gun for sure.
Terry

SATCOM

Blackhawk
H H Sefried II assisted in the designing of the old Hawkeye and was lead engineer on the Ruger rotary magazine for the 10-22. He worked for several gun manufactures. His name on many many patents. He had a small workshop where worked on guns.

The location of Harry's gun in the box with stag grips is known, not by me but a well respected gentleman known in the Ruger collecting arena. Scott's gun was only known by him and father until it showed up on GunBroker being sold by a gun store in the north east. A RF member not knowing exactly what it was posted the link on the RF. Yes, I'm the guy that beat Scott to buy it.

If you were to look at pg. 289 of Mr. Dougan's latest book there is is a design drawing that Harry made showing the dragoon frame variable length barrel. It is exactly like "second gun" now back home.

I have been looking for a long time for an S (second) gun in the old models. Well Scott got his gun, I got a LWAC second, and RR got a gun. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: three happy guys. I have been buying guns from Scott for a long time and enjoyed getting his gun home.

SATCOM

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Has some Ruger internals and sounds like an OM when cocking the hammer. The wide trigger, brass grip frame, hammer strut and spring, trigger return, front sight, hammer, and grips are all Ruger.

SATCOM

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
SATCOM said:
Has some Ruger internals and sounds like an OM when cocking the hammer. The wide trigger, brass grip frame, hammer strut and spring, trigger return, front sight, hammer, and grips are all Ruger.

SATCOM

How is the round loaded?

Forgive the questions, I have never seen one..although I recognize the common Ruger parts...and have a stash of them and a machine/fab shop..sometimes I dream I will have time to build something cool..when I retire.

radicalrod

Hunter
Well like all BLACK POWDER ya pour it in the barrel and ram a ball down.....

The other one says it came with a piece of dowel rod to use as the RAM ROD....RR

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
radicalrod said:

The other one says it came with a piece of dowel rod to use as the RAM ROD....RR

:oops: Like when I was a young'n looking at a Playboy...wasn't reading the words, was look'n at the Pictures... :mrgreen:

Thanks RR for pointing out there were words to be read...along with looking at the Beauties.

radicalrod

Hunter
NitroAcres said:
radicalrod said:

:oops: Like when I was a young'n looking at a Playboy...wasn't reading the words, was look'n at the Pictures... :mrgreen:

Thanks RR for pointing out there were words to be read...along with looking at the Beauties.

Glad I could be of service.....PS I still just look at the pics :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: RR

radicalrod

Hunter
I have been looking for a long time for an S (second) gun in the old models. Well Scott got his gun, I got a LWAC second, and RR got a gun. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: three happy guys. I have been buying guns from Scott for a long time and enjoyed getting his gun home.

SATCOM[/quote]

Satcom, my BKH41B finally arrive VIA Dog Sled Priority mail today.....

The S gun is on the way to AK.....RR

gunman42782

Hunter
Truly awesome find! Amazing that you got it back after all those years. Congratulations.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
The deal is finally complete as LWSC (but looks like tricolor) with "S" after the end of serial # arrived.

Tip,

Very nice of you to say that.

SATCOM

radicalrod

Hunter
Tip said:
Neat BP gun, and a great story!
Congratulations, Scott!
Very well played, SATCOM! You are a "class act."

Gosh I feel left out :roll: :roll: :roll: I greased the wheels that made this deal work :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You guys must have been working on this deal for awhile as I know Scott has been trying to get an S gun from me for quite some time....I usually am a buyer not a seller of S marked guns :lol: :lol: :lol: I am glad it worked for everyone too.....

TIP, just messing with you.....RR

radicalrod

Hunter
SATCOM said:
The deal is finally complete as LWSC (but looks like tricolor) with "S" after the end of serial # arrived.

SATCOM

Well ya know now you need one with the S stamped on the bottom.....it never ends....RR

Here is a messed up Bear cat....D/S.....

Latest posts