.40 S&W Vaqueros?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
OK...if anybody got one, would definitely like to hear about it! If Davidson's really did get a few, I would think these would be cleanup guns (Ruger must have found a few cylinders laying around). Super rarity would be an understatement and I'd like to have one!!
Would go great with our "D" gun!
Chet15

tmgreene

Bearcat
I just bought one of the 40S&W marked on the frame. I saw a few sold in the last month I need to call ruger and find out more about production #s . It is unfired. any info on this gun would be helpful. I know a bunch were made for the San Diego Sheriff dept

gak

Buckeye
I'm sure it's the original/large frame Vaquero. I believe the only "discreet" .40 S&Ws were the special/limited San Diego guns. Then there were the .38-40/.40 S&W convertible Vaqueros--also a limited run. The only ones I've ever seen were 5.5" stainless. Anything with a 10mm I think would have been one of the "Buckeye" special .38-40 Blackhawk convertibles--correct me there--but of course the 10mm cylinder could very likely be fit to a "40" Vaquero as well. Same frame so don't know why not, though you'd want to have a pro smith fit and time it.

I think the .38-40/40/10 convertible is a no brainer for the midframe FT/New Vaquero, though some have speculated whether there's enough space for the .38-40 (and .44-40) rims--as the overall case (spec) is wider than .44 Specials or .45 Colts--for Ruger's comfort level, from the perspective of a manufacturer's standards vs the dimensional differences with ammo out there (but custom smiths I believe have done it, who can build to a different target/objective) If not, a special run of strictly 10mm/.40 would be nice also.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
tmgreene":2anlcm2a said:
I just bought one of the 40S&W marked on the frame. I saw a few sold in the last month I need to call ruger and find out more about production #s . It is unfired. any info on this gun would be helpful. I know a bunch were made for the San Diego Sheriff dept

Ruger won't give out production numbers. best bet is for everyone to collectively keep an eye out for them and give the info to Chad so the RENE can talley and project the #'s.

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set

CraigC

Hawkeye
gak":17bd1wie said:
I think the .38-40/40/10 convertible is a no brainer for the midframe FT/New Vaquero...
I agree! I'd love to have a new flat-top or New Vaquero in .38-40, the autojammer cylinder can languish in my parts box until I decide to rechamber it to .401PowerMag. Make mine a blued 7½" please. ;)

nn

Single-Sixer
not currently a valid item number in our system.

Latest posts