4" Ruger Redhawk for Hunting

Help Support Ruger Forum:

thirdgen17

Bearcat
I was wondering if anyone here has used the 4" Redhawk for inside 50 yards whitetail or hog hunting?

batmann

Single-Sixer
A 4" is legal in Indiana, provided it meets caliber requirements. Some states require longer barrlel lenghts. You will want to check with you local DNR for a copy of your state laws.

Hobie

Single-Sixer
I've used the 4" S&W M29. I don't see how there'd be a practical difference. If legal, go for it.

I got the 4" Redhawk but haven't shot it yet.

thirdgen17

Bearcat
That is a cool thread. I guess I should have done a search first, but thanks to all who replied. Tennessee and Texas both allow 4" handguns. I have a 4" 357 that I have harvested a deer with but I didn't know how the 44 would shoot thru a 4".

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
The .44 will do great.I have also hunted quite a bit with a 4" S+W Mountain gun,mostly using 240 gr soft points or hollow points to take antelope,mule deer,whitetails and bear.

Even with soft points,the majority of hits blew out the other side.These shots were from 30 to 75 yds.

There was one mule deer buck that I liver shot and when following it up,made a desperation shot at 150 yds as it was going over the next hill,and dropped it.

That was when my eyes were a lot better and I would never have taken a shot like that but the deer was already hit.

These days,I will shoot out to 100 yds if everything is perfect-a very steady rest,a calm,broadside animal and I have to feel "on".When I set up to watch a trail,I like to setup 40-50 yds.

The 4" .44 Mags are definitely up to the task.Just use a good bullet,and shoot within a range you are confident in.The gun is up to the task.

Latest posts