4" Redhawk 45 Colt Pic

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
Those Redhawks are awsome. I've wanted one of those for awhile. I may try to pick one up next year.

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
bronco45":1orazh06 said:
It's a 4" 44 Redhawk if that will do:

Ruger wood with Tyler T:

RugerRhawk44-1.jpg

I like the Tyler grip adapter and smaller grips(standard) on this one.
Steve

bronco45

Single-Sixer
It's wearing the Herrett Ropers anytime I shoot magnums with this gun. It's my primo woods gun, and I shoot it DA 95% of the time.

I figure if I have been locked onto by a bear or a wolf or a cougar, all which live within a mile or two of my house, then it will be double action up close and personal.

People forget that cougars and wolves, especially, are predators. Bears are more omnivirous (sp). The predators stalk more and attack from ambush.

Bears just attack, when threats are perceived.

Thanks for the nice comments. The Herretts make this gun rock steady in fast DA work for me.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
I notice a few of these the butt is rounded off instead of such a sharp point. Are those all custom jobs? It seems to be that the rounded off butt may be a little more to my liking. They all look sweet. I really want to pick one of these up in 2010.

David Sinko

Bearcat
I have never seen so many nice custom Redhawks in one place! Mine is an Alpine Conversion from Bowen, converted to six shot .45 Colt right before Ruger started offering them in that cartridge. It also has a spurless hammer, which Bowen said was the first time anybody had asked him to do that. Have any of you ever needed to have your custom Redhawks repaired? After 10 years of hard DA use, mine finally developed ignition problems and Ruger refuses to service custom Redhawks. Many important parts are very scarce (Ruger does not sell them to ANYBODY), and fixing mine proved to be a very difficult task even for Bowen. He has since told me that he had another Redhawk with similar problems come into his shop and he was unable to fix it, but that was about two years ago. I really like my Alpine Conversion but I shoot it very little these days and have become soured on Redhawks because of this experience.

Dave Sinko

David Sinko

Bearcat
Yeah, I know I'm photographically challenged, but I'm working on that.

Round butt conversions are not that difficult on the Redhawk since there is no strain screw that would need alteration, as with the S&Ws.

Removing the lettering (warning notice) from the barrel is something many gunsmiths will no longer do unless it is part of a package deal. But it can be done with a file without removing the barrel. I have seen one of these jobs and it was nicely done.

And I notice none of these custom guns has a trigger stop. Mine did and it worked fine at first, but Bowen removed the stop while making the repair. He said he had learned that it could affect the DA carry up and contribute to the problem of misfires during slow DA firing.

Dave Sinko

David Sinko

Bearcat
Oh, and Bountyhunter, how does your moonclip conversion perform? I have always been very reluctant to do this to a Ruger revolver, since Redhawk cylinders are very difficult to procure if the conversion goes wrong. Years ago I attempted this conversion with an S&W 25-7 .45 Colt and it proved disastrous. I was plagued with misfires when shooting DA using .45 ACP and accuracy was very bad with bullets often keyholing. I attributed all this to the sloppy chamber dimensions of that particular revolver. Some shooters report success but I have always been unwilling to take the chance. Bowen refuses to do the conversion, claiming that the ratchets need to be thinned too much.

Dave Sinko

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
David Sinko":20iydehc said:
Yeah, I know I'm photographically challenged, but I'm working on that.

Round butt conversions are not that difficult on the Redhawk since there is no strain screw that would need alteration, as with the S&Ws.

Removing the lettering (warning notice) from the barrel is something many gunsmiths will no longer do unless it is part of a package deal. But it can be done with a file without removing the barrel. I have seen one of these jobs and it was nicely done.

And I notice none of these custom guns has a trigger stop. Mine did and it worked fine at first, but Bowen removed the stop while making the repair. He said he had learned that it could affect the DA carry up and contribute to the problem of misfires during slow DA firing.

Dave Sinko
Dave, the strain screw on S&Ws is on the front of their grip frame, rounding is done on the back?
Steve

KurtC

Single-Sixer
Round butt conversions remove metal on the front grip strap as well as the rear. On S&W's, the strain screw has to be modified.

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
I disagree with that. Some custom gunsmith's may remove metal from the front of grip strap but, it really isn't nessisary. How on earth could metal be removed from this area to make it nessisay to change the strain screw on any frame of S&Ws(maybe just the lower cornet which wouldn't change the position of the screw)?
Steve

KurtC

Single-Sixer
If you want to use S&W factory or replacement round butt grips, you have to remove metal from the front, which will require deepening the countersink of the strain screw and shortening the stem.

Redhawks are a matter of preference, since all round butt grips are custom.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Bountyhunter":2ev9jg4i said:
Here's mine without Herret Ropers. :lol:

Picture039-2.jpg

Beautiful !! If you don't mind saying, exactly what blasting media did you use, and what bead blaster ?? Home quality, or industrial ? I've been thinking about doing some bead blasting as well.

Thanks

REV

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
I know this is an old, old thread, but this has some of the most beautiful guns in it. Every so often I just look through it and drool.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
Stunning. I love the way these 4 inch Redhawks look. One of these days I'm going to have to pick one up. I've been looking at them for over a year. I go back and forth on either 45 or 44.