4" Red Hawk???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chuck

Blackhawk
In stainless, what would I have to pay fer a used one???
I have been looking at S&W Mountain gun's but the price is way to high.

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
I paid $500 for mine, it was only a couple of months old and it was like new having fired only 50 rounds. It also came with 2 boxes of Ammo and all the paperwork etc. I thought it was a pretty good deal, given how much they were selling for new at the time including sales tax etc.

I've haven't seen many 4 inch ones for sale since I bought mine, but as they only came out in 2008 I guess they are still fairly rare on the used market. There is a 45 Colt for sale for $675 locally which seems excessive but Gunbroker has one for similar money. The vast majority of Redhawks I've seen have been longer barrel models, but plenty of people seem to be asking as much as $650.00 for stainless.

IMO $550 would be a decent deal for an as new one.

Although I do own S&W revolvers, with the great double action trigger the 4" Redhawk seems to come with from the factory and it's inherent strength, I wouldn't rush to pay a lot of money for a S&W Mountain Gun. I started looking at those before I bought my Redhawk and have never once regretted my decision to go with the Ruger.

chuck

Blackhawk
Thanks a lot guy's
S&W are not worth what their selling fer nowadays
As far as GB goes I always can beet their prices by at least $150.00

chuck

Blackhawk
I'm out of money right now, just doing my home work, last week I bought 2 used rifles so no more fer awhile or my Mrs will cut off some of my body parts :(

revhigh

Hawkeye
chuck":3r7ddbw3 said:
S&W are not worth what their selling fer nowadays

They never have been, Chuck ... ever ... not even close.

REV

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
Rev you're a brave man to say so, be careful someone doesn't forward your name to the S&W forum :)

I would have to agree with you based on my limited experience, my S&W revolvers are nice but nothing that special when you consider the premium price new. I got mine on a pretty good used deal so I didn't really pay much of a premium on price, if at all. While the quality etc. is good, I have yet to find anything that makes them any better than my Redhawk. The S&W models compared to their Ruger equivalents are lighter, but then they aren't as strong, so it's horses for courses. I guess I like the Rugers for the same reason I drive a 3/4 ton truck instead of a 1/2 ton, I like a little extra in hand just in case - and the stronger truck lasts longer because it doesn't get pushed to it's limits.

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
I allmost hate to say it but S&W just use to make to good of a gun, when we were riding dirt in the badlands of south dakota the guys with the smiths wer lucky if they could get thier actions to work if we chanced on a mangy old coyote or something but our rugers were allways readdy to go.I do not like having to pay to get a nice action job on my rugers but they still come in 100's of bucks below smiths. Mike.

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
OK. I chime in on this one.... I've got both. The 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt is built like a tank and it has a poor trigger when you compare it to my 625-6 in the came caliber. I agree the Smiths are over priced but if you look long and hard enough you will get one for a decent price.

I'm going to have to do something with the trigger in the RH which will cost me some more $$$ but it will be worth it in the long run. Also it is a simple fact the RH trigger just plan sucks in SA mode mode when compared to a S&W even after it is worked over. So when you put the two head to head tjhe $$$ are about the same.

It depends on how much you want to hot rod the loads. If you are lookiing for a gun to shoot the heavy loads go with the RH. The S&W will digest 1100 - 1200 FPS heavy bullets a long time before anything goes wrong.