4 5/8 VS 5 1/5 Super Black Hawk Stainless .44 MAG

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
I am in a dilemma lol. I am looking at the Stainless Super Black hawk for carry in the woods. So I was wondering is the 5.5 that much better than a 4 5/8 th's barrel length for the .44 Mag.

122L.jpg

120L.jpg

Thank You so much for any thoughts. :)

RVN11B40

Single-Sixer
Which one sits better in your hand?

Which one aligns quicker on target?

As far as carrying, from my perspective, there isn't that much difference.

I've carried both and enjoyed them equally.

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
Well Both have the same grip so I am not sure about your question as far as sits in the hand.

I do plan to replace the grips however no matter which one I get.

Just wondering if one is more accurate than the other? That is if the almost 1 in in barrel length really matters.

The plan is to use such a Pistol for close work say 25 yards or less.

Thank You

blkhawk

Bearcat
There probably won't be much of a difference out to 25 yards between the two. Theoretically the 5.5" would hold a slight edge just because of the longer sight plane but probably not enough to be concerned about. Going by the included pictures, I'd have a hard time picking one over the other as well. I like the non fluted cylinder in the 4 5/8" one but I also like the barrel at least a wee bit longer than the ejector rod housing as well. So picking between the two, I don't know.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I don't think there is any significant difference. I have the 5.5". I would pick the one that looks the best to you.

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
blkhawk":g11u3mbd said:
I like the non fluted cylinder in the 4 5/8" one but I also like the barrel at least a wee bit longer than the ejector rod housing as well. So picking between the two, I don't know.

That is the same thinking I have lol. Maybe I can send it into Ruger and either trade the fluted cylinder for the none fluted or have them put a non fluted cylinder in it?

That is a thought :)

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I had a 5.5in model...seemed to balace better to me..and the little extra barrel length is better for the 44 mag. for Vel.

if your planning on shootin 44 Spl. r reduced 44 Mag. then barrel length is not quie as important...you need to handle 'em

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
Buckeye I am SOLD lol. I will go with the 5.5 Model and may do as said while it is still new in the box and send it into Ruger for a non fluted cylinder to be fit.

I do shoot some reduced .44 Mag Loads but I would also like it to handle the 300+Gr Bullets as well.

There is a local Gun show this weekend and a person had a NIB 4 5/8 version Stainless new in the box for $519.oo out the door. But not a single 5.5 version to be found. So I will have to order that one but it is the same price. :)

And just so others know lol. I do like Blue but I can not have them. Well I can have them but I can not handle them lol. Something about my system and blued guns do not get along well. If I handle a blued gun they will Rust in very short order. And since this is for a hunting carry gun I really do not wish to carry a smelly oil rag with me to keep it wiped down in the field.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
you might want to do a bit of research about having the non-fluted cylinder fitted.

not sure where you're located, buy I have sent a gun or two back to Ruger. With insurance, next day (this is required on handguns), you're talking about ~$75, one way.

second, I'm not sure that ruger will install the non-fluted cylinder in a model that is originally made with a fluted cylinder..........This is not to say that you can't find a smith to install a non-fluted cylinder for you.

Finally, If Ruger will do the cylinder swap for you, there's the cost of that.

There is no practical difference in strength between a fluted and non-fluted cylinder.

Just a few points to consider. Hope that helps.

~c.r.

Knuckles

Buckeye
The 5 1/2" kicks just as hard as the 4 5/8"... go with the short one, it balances nicely in the hand and rides comfortable in the holster. :)

1blkhwk

Bearcat
This one filled the bill perfectly for me. I use it for walking in the woods here in SC. Mid range 44 mags are easy to shoot and point shooting works pretty well.

edit: I'm going to have member 41 mag make me up a set of extended grips for it. :)

coloradofarmboy

Bearcat
JesterGrin_1":17ufaxve said:
I am in a dilemma lol. I am looking at the Stainless Super Black hawk for carry in the woods. So I was wondering is the 5.5 that much better than a 4 5/8 th's barrel length for the .44 Mag.
Thank You so much for any thoughts. :)

Everybody has their preferences. I prefer 5.5 for balance and the way it looks... but each to his/her own.

I've owned and shot both. There's not much difference in the way they shoot. The shorter barrel is a little handier to carry, but the fluted cylinder looks much better, in my opinion.

So...Haven't helped you much. Get the one your gut tells you to. :D

WAYNO.

Knuckles

Buckeye
I also think the non-fluted cyl. model says "Hey!... I'm a Super Blackhawk"... I say, if you're gonna have a SBH, then buy golly make it look like one as much as possible. :mrgreen:

Rainman

Blackhawk
I picked up a 5.5" blue 44 mag SBH at a gunshow yesterday for $350 OTD. Except for a very light turn ring, it was almost 100% and included the box, lock and all papers.

Shot it today and it's a handful with 240 XTP Hornadys and H110 powder. Not near as pleasant as my 7.5" Bisley 45 Blackhawk but it's a keeper at that price.

I don't think you will be sorry with the fluted 5.5"

Dan

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
COR":9fmfs87d said:
I like the 5 1/2" personally...
2bd25eca.jpg

That looks Dang Nice. But how did you get up the GUTS to have it bead blasted? lol.

And well I am stuck now to get the 5.5 model or wait another month and hope the dealer still has some of the 4 5/8 models.

But I think that you are right the 5.5 should hold better along with being able to handle a bit hotter of a load.

Thank You everyone for your thoughts.

anthonyone

Bearcat
I have them in the 45/8 , 5 1'2 and 7 1/2 .I carry and use the 4 5/8 alot more then the othet 2 .