4/08 SR9 Recall

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DPris

Buckeye
Product safety recall from Ruger, some samples "can" fire if dropped with safety off on a loaded chamber.
New trigger group is in the works to correct the problem.
Denis

eerw

Bearcat
here is the release:

Ruger® Issues Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice of SR9™ Pistol
April 9, 2008
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE:RGR), announces that it has determined that Ruger SR9 pistols manufactured between October 2007 and April 2008 can, under certain conditions, fire if dropped with their manual safeties in the "off" or "fire" position and a round in the chamber. The pistols will not fire if the manual safety is in the "on" or "safe" position.

As a responsible manufacturer, we want to make our customers aware of this safety concern as soon as possible. Ruger is finalizing the design of a new trigger group which prevents firing when dropped and will retrofit at no charge all Ruger SR9 pistols with serial number prefix "330" (330-xxxxx).

SR9 owners can obtain information or register for the recall by:
• Visiting the Ruger website at: www.ruger.com/SR9Recall/
• E-mail: [email protected]
• Fax: 928-541-8873
• Calling the Ruger SR9 Recall Hotline at 800-784-3701 between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. EDT.

When Ruger is ready to retrofit a consumer's pistol, Ruger will send a shipping box, label and instructions for the FREE return of the SR9 pistol to our factory in Prescott, Arizona. Work will be completed promptly at no charge to the consumer and the pistol will be returned at Ruger expense. All owners will receive a FREE SR9 magazine as a "thank you" for their patience and cooperation.

All owners of Ruger SR9 pistols are urged not to use their pistol until it has been retrofitted with these new factory parts. If owners must use their SR9 pistol, the manual safety should be kept in the "on" or "safe" position except when actually firing.

http://www.ruger.com/SR9Recall/

mekender

Single-Sixer
clayflingythingy":c2otphv3 said:
Illustrates why you never, ever, buy a first model year gun.

toyota just recalled over 400,000 vehicles... of model types that have been selling for years and years... its not a "first model" problem only... it happens... all products will eventually have problems, some more widespread than others... the key is how the company that makes the product handles the issue when it crops up...

Al James

Hunter
Neat. I just sent mine back yesterday for some QC issues. Do you think they will retrofit it when they have it or when they are ready as stated in the recall?

mekender

Single-Sixer
my guess is that they will not fix it yet... they most likely dont have the trigger groups in stock to do it which is why they are saying that they will start recalling em in may

Al James

Hunter
I just emailed them and told them to keep the gun until they can perform the recall and then send it back to me. I cant see them shipping my unsafe gun back to me anyways. So Im guessing that I'll be without my SR9 for a while. Classic, I didnt even fire it before I sent it in. WEEE :!:

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
DPris and eerw... thanks for the heads up!!!

clayflingythingy":2504n9im said:
Dude, give us a break... and give credit to Ruger for announcing a recall.

Any product can develop a problem at ANY time. To top it off, you get a FREE magazine as their thank you for any inconvience. Pretty good customer service, if you ask me and all from a company that DOES NOT offer a written warranty on their products....

jocko

Bearcat
AZ Outlaws":k0p0p3jj said:
DPris and eerw... thanks for the heads up!!!

clayflingythingy":k0p0p3jj said:
Dude, give us a break... and give credit to Ruger for announcing a recall.

Any product can develop a problem at ANY time. To top it off, you get a FREE magazine as their thank you for any inconvience. Pretty good customer service, if you ask me and all from a company that DOES NOT offer a written warranty on their products....

the kt fanbois are having a field day with the Ruger recall. Kt never has had a recall and god only know how many they should have had but they just let the buyer beware. I give Credit to Ruger, there is a "houston, we have a problem," and they are stepping up and taking care of it. sad that it hapapend but Ruger is not putting their heads in the sand like kt has done for years and is still doing..

oldcop

Bearcat
I checked and found that mine is affected by the recall. I will admit that I considered not sending it back, but Ruger is giving everyone a free magazine if they do, so I guess I will.

Probably for the best anyway.

jocko

Bearcat
Al James":21j7pnh0 said:
Neat. I just sent mine back yesterday for some QC issues. Do you think they will retrofit it when they have it or when they are ready as stated in the recall?

My bet is that they will retrofit it with the new stuff, if you SR9 falls in that category. Just makes sense to do it all at once...Keep us informed.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Son of a.... I am swearing so much the dog is hiding. I sent my Ruger off to springer percision. He did a wonderful trigger job. I paid nearly 200 bucks with the shipping. Now this. I got to have it done. I will not have a weapon with a known safety issue to much liabilty. The only good thing is I have a new trigger group that has not been worked on. So I can install that so Ruger won't charge me to fix an "altered" trigger group. The only hope is the new trigger will be better. I will also complain about the barrel peening that my pistol has developed.

Al James

Hunter
Jocko, I would think they would also but the thing that makes me wonder is the Mid-May timeline that they mention in the recall. I emailed Joe Cramer and I'll let everybody know what they end up doing. Joy :?

Whirlwind06

Bearcat
So much for 5 years of design. Or whatever they said when they released it.
Maybe they should have copied another companies design like the they did with the LCP.

seagull

Bearcat
Denis,

Thanks for the "heads up". I notified Ruger through their web site and got a confirmation e-mail almost immediatly. The e-mail stated they estimated the gun would be returned in one week. :roll:

Joe

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
Whirlwind06":1t5fzr6e said:
So much for 5 years of design. Or whatever they said when they released it.
Maybe they should have copied another companies design like the they did with the LCP.
Is that all you have to offer to this topic??? :roll: :x :roll:

seagull

Bearcat
I still do not have my LCP. This recall makes me think that waiting may not be a bad thing. I was able to handle an LCP today (it was already sold) and I looked for the ejection marks that you so well described. Yes, it showed the same wear that was evident in your photos. Keep up the good work.

Joe