380acp plinking loads???????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

10MMGary

Single-Sixer
I just received all of my components for hand loading 380 acp. I purchased 500 93gr LRN and 500 95gr Rainier TMJ projectiles. I have Win231, Power Pistol, HP38 and VV 310 / 320 / 330 powders, I will be using Win small pistol primers and various once fired cases.

The lovely Wife and I recently both purchased 380 pocket pistols for BUGs and I want to load up some good plinking loads that will do nothing more than cycle the guns reliably and hit six inch paper plates at 7 yards. We will also be firing a few hundred rounds of various factory fodder to determine our defensive load and to see the accuracy and if they function reliably

FWIW hers is a Ruger LCP and mine is a NAA Guardian, if anyone happens to hand load for either of these all the better. I have been hand loading for multiple calibers going on 20 +/- years, but never for the 380 that I can recall. Any and all tips warnings or advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary

mactex

Bearcat
I don't do anything special for the .380 other than the normal precautions that you should use for all the calibers. I guess my only warning would be that with such a small cartridge case be a bit more careful about powder measurements and bullet seating.

I've been using Power Pistol for several years now and go with the starting load for 95 grain FMJ. It has worked quite well and makes my Bersa .380 one of the more accurate guns I use at the range.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Power pistol is an outstanding auto powder for anything .40 and below.

REV

10MMGary

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been loading 380 for the last few hours. Will hit the range tomorrow and see what I made.

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
Great timing on this thread .. I'm in the same boat .. just got an LCP
and dies to roll some up and wanted to do the same .. cycle the thing
a bunch and check out a new caliber. I have never loaded for a "Bottom
Feeder" before but have noticed a lot more difference in load data when
cross checking different sources... ie. one source starts at 3.2g of W231
and another ends there. I assume its due to the very short case and
seating depth or OAL. I plan to start low and chrono all loads. Looking
forward to your results.

FrontSite