.380 plinking rounds

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toysoldier

Hunter
I bought a $99.95 Hatfield shotgun at Wal-Mart, and Short Lane sub-caliber inserts in .380 and .45acp. In the odds and ends of stuff I'd picked up over the years, I found a Hi-Vis rear sight that clamps onto the shotgun rib. It was made for a wider rib than on the Hatfield, but with some shims, I got it mounted. I wanted some lower-power plinking loads for the.380, so I got out my lead pot and cast some 83 grain .380 round balls, then swaged them down to .358". Looking through my reloading powders, I found some powder I'd scavenged from 6.5mm Swedish blanks. Online sources suggested it was similar to Unique, so I loaded 20 rounds with .3cc (2.7gr) using a Lee dipper. Performance at the range was pretty good, with 2.5" groups at 50 yards. Point of impact was 3" below factory .380 ammo. Pretty dirty, though.

mikld

Blackhawk
Glad you survived the questionable, unknown powder. Two things I would never do; first I would never use an unknown military surplus or pulled powder. Second, I would never use any "they said", unproven internet data.

buck460XVR

Bearcat
mikld said:
Glad you survived the questionable, unknown powder. Two things I would never do; first I would never use an unknown military surplus or pulled powder. Second, I would never use any "they said", unproven internet data.

^^^yep.

mikld

Blackhawk
I just reread my earlier post and I want to apologize if I came off as "Mr. Safety Reloading Monitor". I really have nuttin' much to say about how some one chooses to reload and my post was about my fears, what I would/wouldn't do, not a criticism of a brother reloaders experiments...

toysoldier

Hunter
Yes, I used an unknown powder. It came from a wooden-bullet rifle blank, so was almost certainly a fast-burning pistol powder. It was a tiny load, fired in a heavy sub-caliber adaptor in a modern 12ga shotgun. I figured the risk of a problem was very low. Actually, I was more concerned that the powder wouldn't burn at all.

Kenny B.

Bearcat
Just throwing something in the "for what it's worth," or, "just my opinion" category. I don't know if you own a .380 pistol. If you do, I find Alliant's Bullseye propellant a good choice. First, because I can get a lot of mileage out of a pound. Second, it gives what I call snappy recoil out of my pistol, which translates into reliable cycling of the action. I once tried a book spec starting load for Universal. It did not fully/reliably cycle the action of my pistol once out of five tries. However, if you were to use it in your sub-caliber tube only, it wouldn't be an issue. And, I'm sure anyone who hand-loads ammunition on a regular basis would advise, use only a reliable data source, i.e. up-to-date reloading manuals from Alliant, Speer, Sierra, Hodgdon, Hornady, etc. to manufacture your ammunition. Enjoy your new-found sport!

toysoldier

Hunter
I have more than one .380 pistol, which is why I bought the sub-caliber adaptor. I've used Bullseye to reload .380, .45acp, .38 special and .357. It works.

Skoopski

Single-Sixer
My favorite. 380 load is a 95gr with 3.0gr of HP-38. Cycles reliably but the brass falls right at my feet. Should work with your 83gr's as well.