38 WadCutters in OM ...vs...NM

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I took my OM 357 4 and 5/8" alloy frame. AND my 5 1/2 new model, steel gripframe flattop out. Both were plenty accurate with 357's. I shot a box full without problems.

Then I opened a box of 148 grain wadcutters, with HS-6. The New Model was dead eye accurate.

The old model was the complete opposite. Why???

As I said, with the 357's both were pleasantly accurate. But the OM was wildly off with the wadcutters. It was very strange.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Kevin, how did you crimp them? I had a similar thing happen with 148 gr WCs being pushed by a light load of Unique. After I crimped them better, I got cleaner burning and much better accuracy. There may be other problems, but I'd start with the simple stuff. It may take a little range time to work thru...

Rick C

contender

Ruger Guru
Here comes the fun.
Both in discussion AND about the guns.

While both guns may appear to be similar,,, there are differences.
First off,,, totally different ammo. Never expect the same results with differing ammo. Some guns can handle almost any ammo it's fed, & others,, are as picky as a sunday school teacher.
And apparently your wadcutter ammo was reloaded,, as you mentioned HS-6. LOTS of variables with that as well,, including the post above.
What about how "clean" the bore was? Often,, a bore can appear clean, yet have a layer of lead lining the barrel or even a layer of copper from jacketed ammo.
What distance were you shooting? Wadcutters are great for shorter distances,, but at about 50 yds they can & most often will get all off track. Sometimes,, the distance is greater, & sometimes less. Each gun & load can show this trait.
And even the "loose nut behind the trigger." Sometimes,, it can easily be the shooter.

The only way to figure it out will be by a LOT of testing.
Start with the simplest first. Clean the heck out of the bore & only try the wadcutters first. AND shoot at no more than 25 yds.
From there play with the ammo a bit. Change the manufacturer of the bullets. Try different powders. As noted,, LOTS of variables in the ammo area.

I'll let others chime in now,,,!

mikld

Blackhawk
Same 148 WC ammo in both guns? If the wadcutters are lead, then my first check would be to slug the barrels and measure the cylinder throats on both guns. Magnum loads will obturate the bullets more than light target wadcutter rounds and the wadcutters may not be a good fit for the Old Model. I measure the cylinder throats to make sure they are larger than the groove diameter and size all my cast lead bullets to the same diameter as the cylinder throats. Leading is almost non existent and I get good accuracy with this method...

Hey thanks!

Both the 357 and 38 WC are reloads. Both are powder coated bullets. For the 357, I was using 2400 powder. The 38 DEWC is crimped. The 357's are round nose.

I'll give it another try tomorrow and see. I'm not upset. It might be just the OM like 357's better. Which is fine.

The New Model is a 357/9mm convertible. I'd say it was equally accurate among all three calibers, but probably shot the best with the wadcutters and the worst with 9mm. But all in all, not much different really.

Paul B

Hunter
mikld said:
Same 148 WC ammo in both guns? If the wadcutters are lead, then my first check would be to slug the barrels and measure the cylinder throats on both guns. Magnum loads will obturate the bullets more than light target wadcutter rounds and the wadcutters may not be a good fit for the Old Model. I measure the cylinder throats to make sure they are larger than the groove diameter and size all my cast lead bullets to the same diameter as the cylinder throats. Leading is almost non existent and I get good accuracy with this method...

I concur. This works for me as well
Paul b.

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,, choose a different powder. Try a faster powder,, such as a light charge of Bullseye,, or Unique for the wadcutters.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
A lot of good, experience here. This bunch of shooters can figure any problems with Rugers. I've been reloading and shooting Rugers over 45 yrs. I learn something each time I log in. Thanks to all! Especially Tyrone,,,, "Contender" always has level headed advice. This forum is better because of you! Thanks.

daveg.inkc said:
A lot of good, experience here. This bunch of shooters can figure any problems with Rugers. I've been reloading and shooting Rugers over 45 yrs. I learn something each time I log in. Thanks to all! Especially Tyrone,,,, "Contender" always has level headed advice. This forum is better because of you! Thanks.

Very Well Said. And +1 on the "thanks."