.38 Super loads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
I'm new to handloading but I want to add that I will have a 35 year old handloading vet "mentoring" me at the beginning. I wanted to make up some hi end published loads with heavier grains. I was reading somewhere that I should be looking for stronger brass for hi end Super loads. Can you tell me what "types" of brass I should be looking for? Anyone have some favorite loads using Federal small pistol primers?

Thanks

Enigma

Hunter
I believe that a lot of IPSC shooters use Starline brass for the .38 Super. I don't load for it, although I did accumulate a set of dies somewhere down the trail.

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
WESHOOT2":elwj7g9p said:
Winchester or Remington nickeled cases.

FOLLOW PUBLISHED DATA; what data do you have?

Here's one source but I have found others. If you look at what I am linking to, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I realize the .38 Super is kind of a strange animal to get started loading with but all I can tell you is ever since I first shot an old Colt .38 Super, probably 25 years ago, I have been in love with it. And it appears to sure have some interesting capabilities to get this up well above 9mm! :D

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/defau ... er&Source=

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I also like the 38 Super very much, loaded and shot a bunch. Whereas I used Win & Rem cases for many years, I am switching to the rim-less case from Starline called the 38 Super Comp for more reliable feeding in double stack mags.

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
Cherokee":1y6tbk5t said:
I also like the 38 Super very much, loaded and shot a bunch. Whereas I used Win & Rem cases for many years, I am switching to the rim-less case from Starline called the 38 Super Comp for more reliable feeding in double stack mags.

Cherokee. I have heard about the Super comp. I have both a Tanfoglio in double stack and a 1911 in single. Would the rim-less case work in the single stack as well, or just in the Tanfoglio?

dougader

Hunter
They should work in both. I load 9x23 Winchester and when I find used 38 Super brass I load them up as low pressure plinking ammo.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I load the 38 Super Comp from Starline for USPSA as well. I recently switched to Winchester AutoComp from AA No.9 with Montana Gold 121 grain IFPs.

I'm running a competition STI open gun with a very dynamic compensator, I won't share the loads because they are safe only in my gun. Accuracy and functioning are excellent with these loads.

Snake45

Hawkeye
A few years ago Patrick Sweeney wrote an excellent article on reloading .38 Super in one of the gun rags. He posts at the EOTAC forum sometimes; you might want to register there and post a question for him about it. Noted gunwriter and handloader Charlie Petty also posts there frequently. Great resources, both of them.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
BeagleDog - The 38 Super Comp works fine in my single stack 1911. Some folks have found it necessary to tweak the extractor but I had no problem. My problem was the standard case in double stacks which is solved by the super comp case.

DGW1949

Hunter
In it's original form, the .38 Super used a crimped bullet and headspaced off the rim, not the case mouth. About a gazillion guns and/or barrels were manufactured according to that. I suspect that many still are, if not most.
That might be something you'd want to know for sure concerning whichever gun you intend to load for.....and particularly if you intend on using any sort of redesigned brass.

Just my 02.

DGW

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
DGW - good point. My barrels all headspace on the case mouth. I have read most guns are now chambered that way but there are exceptions I'm sure, and there are many older ones chambered to use the rim.