.38 Spl. Police Service Six & 125 gr. jacketed bullets ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

IKE

Single-Sixer
Back in mid May I posted that I lucked into a 4" as new stainless PSS chambered in .38 Special.....I really like the gun.

I tried my normal loads with 125 gr. JSP and JHP bullets and since, from what I read years ago, .357's and .38's are regulated / designed around 158 gr. bullets it shoots aprox. (off bags) 3" low and 11/2" left at 10 yds. and almost 8" low and 6" left at 25 yds.

I was able to purchase at a really, really good price several thousand bulk 125gr Winch. and Rem. JSP's and JHP's a few years ago from a supplier that was closing the doors and I'd really like to use them up.

For woods carry and home protection I've a 4" stainless GP-100 and 4" and 6" stainless Security Sixes in .357 Mag. so what I'd like to do is work up a good plinking load (for 25 yds. and under) for the PSS and 125 gr. jacketed bullets that will hit where I aim.

For pistol powders I've got multiple pounds of W231 & HP38, 2400, H110 and Unique plus one full pound of Bullseye on hand.

I know plinking loads for the .38 Special usually involve 158 gr. lead HBWC or SWC bullets but I'd really like to use the 125 gr. jacketed bullets that I have so many of on hand.

Is it even possible to safely do what I'm wanting to do or am I just barking up the wrong tree ?

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I would certainly stay within the range of the published data. You really do not want to stick a bullet. Slower generally means it will hit higher. So I would start out at the minimum load of the HP38 for that bullet and see what it does. If that does not get you where you need to be then I think it is not possible to do what you want. Not sure how changing the load will make it shoot more to the right. And I would try it for elevation not shooting off the bags just to be sure what is happening.

Me, I load coated 125's with Trail Boss in my .357 and it hits about the same elevation as the 158 grain jacketed loads I use. I tried the 125 XP jacketed but in the .357 data all the loads for them are screamers. Since I am buying the bullets as I shoot them I mostly use the coated or plated in 125 grain.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Have you thought about taking a little off the top of the front sight to get those regular 158gr loads shooting where you want? That will help the 125gr plinking rounds.

I also think W231/HP-38 would be perfect for those 125gr bullets but please don't consider H-110 as that should not be reduced more than 5% from max. 2400 is also too slow a powder and not very good for plinking loads.

...and for left-right accuracy, perhaps a different finger position on the trigger might help.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I load 125's with HP 38 for .38 Specials. As far as shots to left, I would say it is way you are gripping Like shooting a bow Your grip can change where you hit.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Once upon a time , I played around with different weights and vels of .38spll ammo with fixed sights.

8in @ 25yds is larger than expected POI difference between 158gr & 125gr . Did the OP shoot both weight bullets , or only shoot the 125gr ?

Shoot some 158gr from rest/ braced at 25yds, check for POI . In my experience, Service Sixes would a hair high with std vel, and dead on with +P . But let's call it expectations of within an inch of POA at 25yds . Unless an actual bent bbl , look at hand/ stocks fit , how you are gripping ( grasping) , and technique generally .

Once all that addressed, there will still be a difference in POI . Two approaches:

1. Know the actual poi , and use Kentucky windage and/ or raise front sight in the notch.
2. File down the front sight .

Back in the tail end of the Revolver Era , the 110gr +P+ " Treasury Load " was the second most common issued Duty Load . LE Agencies would commonly have the Armorer file down the front sights on fixed sight revolvers.

IKE

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replies fellas.

I have not tried 158 gr. only 125's and for now I don't want to file on the front site unless it's a last resort.

I called Sierra yesterday and along with what I already knew about .38 and 357's being regulated for 158 gr bullets they also offered this.

"In a handgun barrel time will affect the POI. The lighter / faster bullet gets out of the barrel before the gun has had a chance to recoil much so a lighter bullet will strike lower. The heavier / slower bullet is leaving the barrel a little bit later so the gun has recoiled upward more so the bullet will strike the target higher"........makes sense (at least to me) when you stop and think about it.

They also suggested I play with loosening my grip which will also raise POI and as suggested above I will pay more attention to finger placement on the trigger which hopefully will help with the low left bullet impact.

Thanks again for your input.

It is hard for some to get past the fact that what was said about handguns and bullet weight, and speed vs POI. As it is very true and some will not believe it. I have no advice on help with what your seeing with your shooting. There could be a number of things involved without seeing how your holding the gun as to where your hand is on the back strap, as mentioned where your trigger finger is on the trigger, target type your shooting, your shot group size etc.
I will add when I was shooting and instructing 38s/357s from 2 yards to 25 at man size type targets they hit about in the same place. 125 gr mags, 148/158 38s. No one ever moved sights to shoot a 38 or 357. We never shoot off a rest, 50 shots normally hit in a 6 to 8 inch circle if the shooter is doing his job. I have never shot off a rest so, I cannot compare what that does, good or bad.