38 spl DEWC chrono test

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ron IL

Bearcat
Recently I saw on a forum the discussion about where to crimp a 38 spl DEWC (double ended wad cutter). I emailed a bullet company and they said it didn't matter. You could crimp it on the end or in the first groove. They didn't think it affected anything. So I decided to find out. I used a Ruger GP100 4" for the test. I reamed the cylinder holes to be sure they were the same. Cases tumbled in corn cob media and used all GFL cases. Each load was weighed on my Dillon balance beam scale. I used 148 grain DEWC coated bullets from Mastercast Bullets, which is a local company. I used a Lee Classic 4 hole turret with the 4 die carbide die set. Nothing changed in the die setting except where the bullet was crimped. Each test consisted of 12 rounds each. It is a short test but was for my information only. But I thought I would share what I found out. I used 231 powder. I did not weigh each bullet or check case lengths of empty brass. If I were doing competition I would do those things. This is just range pickup brass and loaded for plinking.

First test was 3.8 grains of 231 in both crimps.

Bullet crimped at groove: Hi 838 fps, Low 773 fps. Difference of 65 fps Ave 809.4 fps

Bullet crimped on end: Hi 887 fps, Low 862 fps. Difference of 25 fps Ave 874 fps.

It seems from this short test that the crimp on end was more consistant. May have to do more on this.

Second test I added some extra powder to the groove crimp round to get the fps up to the end crimped one.

Bullet crimped at groove 4.1 grains of 231. Hi 890 fps Low 856 fps. Difference of 34 fps. Ave 874.75 fps

Bullet crimped on end 3.8 grains of 231 Hi 896 fps Low 856 fps Difference of 40 fps. Ave 874.66 fps

This shows there is a difference on where you crimp because of the space inside of the case. I don't have any way to see what pressure is doing and your gun may like them crimped longer or short for accuracy. But you can adjust the speed with powder.

mikld

Blackhawk
Thanks for the report. I appreciate real life reports from a real reloader. :D

Which bullet? I seem to remember different crimp grove locations on some designs (my Lyman mold has a groove about 1/8" from the end of the shoulder.). In my "testing" the amount of crimp also affected velocity and consistency slightly. I once tested seating depth with DEWC in 357 brass from flush to as long as the cylinder would allow. Before I got a chrony so I have no velocity figures but I did shoot quite a few for accuracy testing. Not enough difference for me to really matter...

Ron IL

Bearcat
I am not sure what mold they use there. I use Mastercast, Missouri, and Acme. Mastercast is local about 15 miles away if I can catch them there. Missouri I can buy at a local store if they have them. The 38 I use and the 9mm I use are gone pretty quick and they don't restock for 2 or 3 months. If I mail order I get Acme. I like their bullet really well and price is good and shipping about the cheapest going. You have to figure in shipping on the cost. Some will show bullets pretty cheap and then slam you on shipping. I just found a new one I ordered from that will blow them all out of the water if the bullets are good. Mine should be here Friday and will test them. The Missouri bullet locally is really high. I pay for 500 9mm 115 gr with tax $54. Acme was about $42 shipped for 500. They come in a really nice wooden box and the coating is really nice. I can get about 1500 for just over what the Missouri cost for 1000. This new one I found is TEK coated and is $49 shipped for 914 bullets. If they turn out good I will be a big buyer there.

Latest posts