.38 special in .357...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Is there any significant problem with shooting wither PC or plated bullets from .38 special cases in a .357 mag gun? Excessively hard to clean cylinders? Accuracy?

Chief 101

Hunter
Its done all the time, I do it and up till now I haven't seen any downside to using 38sp in a 357 Mag revolver.

rangerbob

Buckeye
LE has been shooting 38's in 357's since the 357 appeared in 1935. When I was in the LSP academy in 1974, all we shot was 38 wadcutters in our, then new, M66's. A through cleaning will cure any problems created by the use of 38 Specials. Bob!! 8)

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
I ended up with a real nice Dan Wesson due to the last person shooting only 38spl and not cleaning the chambers.
Dang thing would not chamber 357, the seller did not disclose this to me. Apparently the reason for the low price.
After a good chamber brushing, zero problems.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The one warning is don't let carbon build up in the chambers and then use 357 magnum ammo as cartridges will not seat correctly and may be hard to extract. In some cases high pressure can be generated because the mouth of the brass can not open like it should to let the bullet leave the case.

mikld

Blackhawk
I've been shooting Specials in Magnum revolvers since I first got a 44 Magnum in '88 and a 357 Magnum in '90. The key for me is I clean my guns soon after shooting; often the same day or on occasion, the next. I used to start each shooting session with a box of 38 Specials in my 357, then switch to Magnums. No problems with chambering...

Snake45

Hawkeye
loaded round said:
Just the residue ring you get from the 38's in the .357 chamber. Hoppes and a good brass brush takes care of the problem very quickly. :)
Even better, a .40 or .41 brush, or a way-used ("used up") .44 or .45 brush! :wink:

Rclark

Hunter
Of course you can always download your .357 cartridges to .38 special power levels and eliminate any build up. That's how I do it. Same with .44Mag.

As to the question though. Not a problem. shoot away... Just do diligence when cleaning. And accuracy will depend on the gun (and the shooter of course... takes both :) ). Just try, see, adjust as needed.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I've done the .38 Spl in .357 Mag thing (and .44 Spl in .44 Mag) for a fair number of years. The advice the fellows have given about cleaning the chambers is all I've ever needed. If I start with .38s and then go to .357s, I'll hit the chambers with a quick brushing before the switch.

Much of the buildup from .38s kinda depends on the load: some are dirty, some quite clean. So that may affect how often the chambers should be attended to. As might the condition of the chambers themselves: my GP has reasonably burnished chambers, from the factory, and needs less attention. My Bisley's chambers look like they were cut with a rock--that part of the factory must not know what burnishing tools are--and collect gunk much more quickly. A buddy's S&W 686 has chambers that look like they're close to a mirror finish, and he doesn't even bother with a brush when swapping calibers. A patch and some solvent's all that gun requires. So a little experimentation may be in order for a particular gun.

Rick C

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
Rclark said:
Of course you can always download your .357 cartridges to .38 special power levels and eliminate any build up. That's how I do it. Same with .44Mag.

As to the question though. Not a problem. shoot away... Just do diligence when cleaning. And accuracy will depend on the gun. Just try, see, adjust as needed.

I went to this solution a long time ago.

I do as snake mentioned and added a cordless drill to the rod during for the over sized chamber brush cleaning because it as a lot faster. In the old days I used lewis lead remover cleaning screens on the cleaning rod. Not sure if there even still available.

mikld

Blackhawk
Yep, "down loading" worked quite well for me too. I didn't have much 44 Special brass way back when so I just used 44 Special load data in Magnum brass (didn't stick any bullets in barrels). Just remember that the 44 Special listed velocities will be higher than the same load in 44 Magnum brass, same with 38 Special loads in 357 brass. My time reloading the 44 Magnum has provided quite a bit of fun and experimenting; I've reloaded and shot most combinations of bullets and loads I could think of from 123 gr. balls over a dusting of Bullseye to 300 gr WFN T-Rex Killers over a near max charge of WC829. The 44 Magnums and 357 Magnums are probably the most versatile calibers around...

Latest posts