38 Short Colt load data

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I use an 8 shot revolver for action pistol,and the Short Colts reload the gun really quickly (in full moon clips), but none of the loads I've tried have been as accurate as the same power equivalent in 38 special cases.
Does anyone have a good recipe for accurate Short Colt loads to be used in a 357?
I have 125,147,and 160 grain bullets.

You're creating an extremely long 'jump' from cartridge mouth to forcing cone which you will most likely never overcome accuracy wise. The bullet has more opportunity to mis-align or cant as it travels before reaching the barrel.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
In the abstract , what Mobuck said .

But you specified for " Action Shooting " which ( to generalize ) typically involves shooting quickly at relatively close , relatively large targets .

The relevant question is ; can you develop loads sufficiently accurate enough for that purpose ? The answer is maybe .

Experement with different bullets , sizing diameters , and powders , and see what works least worst . Then decide your personal trade offs of accuracy vs reloading speed .

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
In the abstract , what Mobuck said .

But you specified for " Action Shooting " which ( to generalize ) typically involves shooting quickly at relatively close , relatively large targets .

The relevant question is ; can you develop loads sufficiently accurate enough for that purpose ? The answer is maybe .

Experement with different bullets , sizing diameters , and powders , and see what works least worst . Then decide your personal trade offs of accuracy vs reloading speed .
"No target is so large or so close that it can't be missed"
The difference between an "A"; zone hit and a "C" zone hit is tiny,tiny,tiny.
More precise ammo adds points!