38-40

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunslinger_h

Blackhawk
Hi all. I am looking for some dies to reload the 38-40 and found some by RCBS. My problem is that they list two sets, one for cowboy action and one not. I would like to know what the difference is. I do not do any cowboy shooting, but am not adverse to using those dies if they are better than the regular one. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, Hank.

Rusty W

Single-Sixer
Just a guess on my part but I think the cowboy action dies are specific for lead bullets. I load 30/30 with jacketed and lead bullets and with the lead I need to flare the case mouth just a little to get the bullet started square & in order not to shave the lead. I use the universal tool from Lee for this. Jacketed bullets normally won't have the same issue. If you're going to reload lead bullets I'd get the cowboy action set, I bet it has a flaring/belling die.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

Both the 'regular' and the Cowboy dies made by RCBS have a die that bells the case mouth. RCBS claims the Cowboy dies are designed for lead bullets, it has to do with the size of the expander plug and the shape of the crimp. For what it's worth, I have been reloading 44-40, which is very similar to 38-40, for years with a standard plain vanilla set of RCBS dies, never saw the need for the extra money for the Cowboy dies.

kevin seyer

Single-Sixer
second driftwoods reply load 38-40 and 44-40, 32-20 all with stadard dies,only 1 word of advice dont nick the mouth when going into the die are will have a trashed case quick. Kevin