38-40 Vaquero Questions ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

32magfan

Blackhawk
A buddy of mine recently acquired a Winchester 92 in 38-40. :D He is interested in finding a revolver to be a companion for this neat rifle. Colts are nice but a little too pricey. :shock:

I know some Vaqueros were made in 38-40 and even convertibles with 40 S&W (and 10mm Buckeye). I would appreciate any and all information about barrel lengths that were made, how many produced, etc. He is mostly interested in a case-colored or blued gun. He saw a stainless Vaquero on GunBroker and wasn't excited. :?

I need some of that RF knowledge and information. Please help me and my buddy out here.

Thanks,

32Magfan

Aggie01

Blackhawk
My sketchy memory tells me all the 38-40 Vaqueros were stainless.

My suggestion is rather than spend years looking, spend a year waiting on exactly what you want:

Buy a .357 anny flattop or new vaquero (depending on the sights you want) and send it off to be converted.

SUre, It'll rival the price of a Colt, but it'll be tough enough to do anything he wants with it. ( have a .41 Mag midframe that ran me about $1K all told - base gun, conversion and shipping included)

A 38-40 in a midframe would be a little less bulky than the buckeyes or Vaqueros, too.

CraigC

Hawkeye
The Buckeyes are great guns in their own right but I really think a classic levergun calls for something a little more traditional like a Colt SAA or replica. What I've got in mind to pair up with my Uberti 1873 sporting rifle .38WCF is a USFA standard SAA model that usually runs about $750. It's roughly $400 less than a comparable Colt and a better gun anyway. The .38-40 is a great cartridge and 180's will run 1200fps out of a sixgun without exceeding standard pressures.

Olsherm

Blackhawk
I have a new vaquero converted from .357 with 4 5/8 barrel by David Clements to 38/40. Has case hardened frame and hammer by Turnbull I believe.Chamfered cylinder,action job,fancy walnut grips with ivory stars inlaid by Bob Leskovic. Wish I could send pictures. I gotta learn how to do that soon. Words don't mean much without a picture.Do they? I haven't shot it much yet. Beautiful thingy. I think I have more money in it than I have in my truck.??????????But I like it. I get it out and play with it in the living room while I am watching MR DILLON.Wife comes along and asked me if I am helping Marshall Dillon out.Smart alec woman. I told her he would not have made in the last shoot out if I had not been there.

A

Anonymous

I happen to have a Buckeye Special 38/40--10MM convertible and it is a brute for strength.

I have data showing the 200 gr. Hornady bullet at 1400 fps.

Now that particular load is pretty hot and I didn't shoot a lot of them, but the 50 or so that I did fire presented no problems on extraction or showed any sign of excessive pressure.

The best load for deer hunting is 18/2400/200 Hornady for just under 1300 fps. I needed to buy a Lee factory crimp die to keep the bullets from migrating out of the mouth of the cases.

The 10MM is also viable as a deer cartridge in this gun as the 200 Hornady can be driven to velocities of 1250 fps and the case is stronger than the 38/40 case and handles pressure better.

It is very close to a .41 Mg. in power.

Hillbilly Jim

Bearcat
I dont think the Buckeye special with the 10 mm cly is a Vaquero. I think Blackhawk. And the only 38-40's I have seen in the Vaquero line have been the issue with the 40S@W cly. [500 or so of each of two barrel lengths]
Just my thinking.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
The Buckeye convertible is on a New Model Blackhawk frame, 6.5" barrel. I second the suggestion to acquire a USFA in 38 WCF. I have one and is one of the best shooters I have, considering the sights and all.