375 Ruger survival.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
I saw something very positive just the other day. For me this came as a surprise though. I visited a gunsmith I know and he was busy building a custom rifle for a client. The rifle is chambered for the 375 Ruger as requested by the client. For me this means that the cartridge definitely had some good and positive exposure. It would be great if the 375 Ruger can become popular among African hunters.

Pieter.

Sugar River

Buckeye
It has become very popular in Alaska, with ammo available widely up there.

Anecdotally. I hear the 375 Ruger is slowly but surely working its way into African hunting camps as well.

Pete

Koveras

Bearcat
I noticed that Savage recently introduced a couple of new variants of the 116 family in 375 Ruger. The 116 Alaskan Brush Hunter looks interesting. Hopefully this means the 375 is catching on.

mattsbox99

Hunter
The local guy has a 416 Alaskan, I think its too much thump for me though! Its used but hasn't been fired, the original owner bought it from this shop and two boxes of ammo, apparently he decided he didn't need them.

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
Got an ss/lam Alaskan, but sadly haven't shot it yet. Is the general consensus still to bed the action, or have the stock splitting issues been resolved?

Titleist

Bearcat
txpitdog said:
Got an ss/lam Alaskan, but sadly haven't shot it yet. Is the general consensus still to bed the action, or have the stock splitting issues been resolved?

I had a walnut stock split on my African. The split was caused by the wood compressing in the recoil lug mortise, which allowed the tang to act like a wedge. I would bed the recoil lug to give the tang a very small amount of room, although a laminated stock may be tough enough to take the pressure.