.357 Six Series- Classic Duty Guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stantheman86

Buckeye
P6200001.JPG

A "Classic" from each branch of the Six family tree.......a Service, Security and a Speed 8)

P62000021.JPG

The Machine Heavy Barrel .357 Service Six, look like it was Ruger's attempt to make a barrel profile similiar to the S&W 10-13 series. I have not seen another one like it. It's an old cop gun, bumped, bruised and worn which is how I like them :eek: This one is from 1974 IIRC.

P6200003.JPG

A really well used Security Six, I changed out the pawl, trigger and added a spurless hammer that can still be cocked. Also added a vintage Bullseye spring kit that works well, really slicks this gun up. A well used set of factory slim grips that match the condition of the gun finishes it off. I don't like the look of newer grips on a gun with worn blue, doesn't seem "right" plus I don't have to worry about dinging the grips up, it's already been done. Also added a T-Grip that I got in the days before they cost $200 on Ebay 8) The gun is thrashed looking, seems like it saw 30 years in the holster, but it's still tight and a good shooter. I use it for CC occasionally.

P6200004.JPG

A .357 Speed Six, the first Six I ever got, found it a few years back in my local gun shop. I added the Tyler grip and shoe, to add some "vintage" gear on it. It's probably seen a million rounds and has not been treated kindly by the last owner, who was a local LEO. It's well broken in and it's deadly in DA and SA, but it really shines in SA since I added a GP100 mainspring for fast lock time but left the old style trigger spring in. I got the idea to make it primarily an SA shooter, from talking to an old retired cop two years ago at the shooting range. I was talking about the DA pulls on my revolvers. He said back in the 70's they just fired Single Action for qualifying, so no one worried much about DA pulls in his small dept. He wasn't much of a "gun guy" but he said officers got a $20 bonus for shooting expert so some guys had their wheelguns altered for hair triggers in SA. On top of that, he said outside of yearly qualifying he hardly fired a round exept maybe some plinking.

gunman42782

Hunter
I always loved the Six series guns. Just bought a Service Six in .38 and have shot the heck out of it. Love it. The Ex wife has my Security Six (I guess she still does, who knows?) Have never owned a Speed Six, but sure would like to. Nice collection!!!

americal

Hunter
I like the old school look 8) the 1st. gun is my favorite--the trigger shoe is on upside down I do believe --switch it & you can tell :)

stantheman86

Buckeye
Thanks 8)

The trigger shoe looks wierd because Tyler actually made these for the Colt 1917, but they also fit all the Ruger DA's, but it's not a perfect fit.The notch is on top, it has to be on in just the right way or it won't work. I have put quite a few rounds through the Speed Six and the shoe hasn't budged, so I figured I'd leave it on there. I took it off a while back but the trigger has "divots" from the set screws so I put it back on. It does make the DA and SA pull feel lighter.

I prefer the fixed sight Service and Speed Sixes a lot more, this one Security Six the only one I have, but I have nearly a dozen of the Service Sixes.

Some say the Ruger Sixes aren't "vintage" enough to be "vintage cool" yet, but I think these are plenty vintage eno cool for me :) These all probably have 20+ years of service use behind them, and are all ready for at least 20 more!

I've got plenty of the "newer" heavy barrel, scalloped recoil shield Sixes, most of them .38 Special Service Sixes but I'm always looking for the light barrel, early models.

stantheman86

Buckeye
I have always had a soft spot for the hard used ex-duty guns, particularly the Rugers of course 8)

These guns, especially the Security Six, have seen hard use but are still tight. The Speed Six looks like it has seen the most Magnums, given the flame cutting and play in the cylinder, but I doubt I'll see the day it wears out. I like to think of the Speed Six as a gun that looks like a small town Deputy Sheriff that thought of himself as a "gunslinger" would have carried back in the 70's and 80's. :lol: I even have a vintage duty rig for it, a River Belt with dual dump pouches,with an older holster with the hammer strap, that leaves the trigger exposed, so the trigger shoe can fit.

I think at some point I would like to put a set of well used, older Herrett's on the Security Six, to give it a little more "vintage" feel to it. This gun came from Georgia, from a large gun shop that sells a lot of local trade in stuff, and this was from a bunch of rough looking Sec. Sixes that were traded in by a local PD....... fresh from the South and it had the rust in the action to prove it, so it's definetely a retired duty gun of a Deep South LEO.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
A buddy of mine had a speed/security six [I don't know the diffrence]it was buled and had a 6" bbl on it with a Millet vent rib target rib on it .The front and rear sight were all one peice and it looked really cool with that vent rib ,and I think it was a .357 ,but I'm not sure .One thing I do know that gun was ACCURATE and more often than not I could hit soda cans at 50 yards off the bags with it .He traded it for something at a gun show ,part of a payment for a rare M1 Garand a Singer or something like that .But by the time he got home he regreted trading that gun ,so he went back to buy the gun back ,but it was already gone .
Someone had gone through that gun ,the trigger was SMOOTH and broke like a glass rod and it was light in D.A. too.
I wish I'd had the money for that gun cause I really liked it .
Lou

stantheman86

Buckeye
The Sixes and GP100's are capable of exceptional accuracy.

Some of mine have had no work done on them besides running 1,000's of rounds through them and they are as slick as any S&W.