357 new vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

the fatman

Single-Sixer
Have heard the warning about what 45 colt loads to use. Was wondering if there was any problems using the warmer reloads or buffalo bore type ammo in the 357 mag new vaquero.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Buy anything that says it's 357 Mag and shoot your heart out. Well unless it's from some guy at a gun show selling reloads.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
The NewVaq357 cylinder is beefier than a GP100 or S&W 686 - fatter across and thicker walls in every direction. And the action parts are tougher than either. So for damnsure it can take stronger loads than those.

The only possible hinks are:

* Base pin jump under heavy recoil. I recommend a stronger cross-pin latch spring, included free with basic $20 spring kits. That's what I did. A Belt Mountain locking base pin is an even stronger solution.

* Keep an eye on the ejector rod screw. Best bet, take it off and reinstall with BLUE locktite (not red!). At a minimum, at the first sign of looseness tighten it up.

I've owned a NewVaq357 since mid-2005 and love it. See also:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=73691

I've shot nasty monsterloads in it with no problems.

gobe

Bearcat
Some moons ago I was asking about the limitations placed on new Vaquero .45LC (Do not use "Ruger Only" loads) and if that applied to any of the other new Vaquero calibers. Jeff, from Gunblast said it only applied to the .45LC and that the .357 Magnum would digest anything on the market that you wanted to feed it. Basically, the limitations on the .45LC was because of the thinner cylinder walls on the new Vaquero.

Somebody (and I can't find it now) posted some pictures of the 'new' vs Original Vaquero cylinders side-by-side and it was really apparent what they were talking about in wall thickness on the .45LC. Plenty of 'meat' on the 'new' Vaquero .357 Mag., but pretty thin walls on the .45LC. FWIW.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Right. Which is why, in 45LC, the NewVaq has a pressure limit of around 20,000psi (some sources claim 22,000 tops) while in 357 it can easily handle 43k psi loads.

Or in terms of bullet energy, the NewVaq45LC tops out at around 550ft/lbs energy, the 357 version can hit 800+. The Colt SAA in 357 has long been understood to have more raw power on tap in 357 than in any other caliber, and the NewVaq just continues that trend.

gobe

Bearcat
Jim ..... That is good to hear. Just another logical reason for getting a new Vaquero .357 Mag.! Part of my question to Jeff Quinn was the difference in "punch" between the .357 Mag and .45 LC. Your statement, "Or in terms of bullet energy, the NewVaq45LC tops out at around 550ft/lbs energy, the 357 version can hit 800+. The Colt SAA in 357 has long been understood to have more raw power on tap in 357 than in any other caliber, and the NewVaq just continues that trend." My buddy in Tennessee has an original Vaquero in .45 LC and I love it.

However, I have a SP-101 in .357 Mag, so it would be logical to get a New Vaquero in .357 to eliminate having another caliber of ammo to stock. I also have a S&W 442 in .38 Spl that is my "always carry" CCW. Nice to be able to head to the range with .38 Spl. +P and be able to shoot it in all three irons, yet be able to power-up the 101 and Vaquero to the 'hot' .357 Mag loads. From a 'logical' standpoint, in my case, the .357 Mag New Vaquero is it, but I still have this 'emotional' standpoint tugging at me .... .45LC. Part of the dilema is that I spent many years in the New Mexico/Arizona/Nevada area and the old .45 Colt was 'IT". Aaahh ... just to be rich!

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
The downside to the 357 is that to get real power out of it, and stopping power against man or beast that matches or exceeds the best 45LC fodder (compatible with the NewVaq45), you have to go seriously supersonic. That means big noise...BIG big noise, esp. indoors. But even outdoors shooting full-house 357 without ear protection is not something you want to do again if you ever do it once.

The "subsonic big-bores" (mainly 45LC, 45ACP, 44Spl and 44-40) can all deliver solid power without breaking the sound barrier. That means they're overall more pleasant to shoot when compared to the hottest 357s.

They're also more expensive to feed though, whether you're dealing with store-bought ammo or handloading.

I'm on a pretty tight budget. The 357 can do anything I need it to do in the lower 48 states, street or woods.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
I cast my own Lee flat nose 158gr. in .357 and load them to about 1000fps and shoot them a lot. You can go much higher but that big flat nose going 1000fps will do serious damage. For in the house loads I use 125gr hp's to cut down on possible penetration through walls. Woods walkin I use the big flat nose. I use the 4" Security Six now but had a 3" SP101. I'm going back to .38/.357 for casting and loading in my handguns, much more simple and less expensive. I also cast for my Krag and the 336 Marlin.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

The Colt Single Action Army was chambered for 357 Magnum way back in the 1930s, shortly after the round was first developed. Just like the modern New Vaquero, there was plenty of meat in the cylinder to take full power factory 357 Magnum loads. No problem with the new comer either.