357 maximum blew up

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I bought some factory maximum ammo at a gun store that was severely over pressure specs. Now, I have a stuck brass case in my DW 40 cylinder. I tried punching it out and after much effort, I succeeded in pushing the last 1/4″ of the brass out. It tore the brass wall apart at that point. I wouldn't have believed that was possible. Now, there is no bottom to the brass case. It looks like a liner to the cylinder.
Can I use a tap and die set to pull it out? It seems like it would eat into the soft brass and get a little at a time. Or does it need a .357 reamer at the blacksmith?

Followup:
OK, guys, several weeks and several different techniques and the stuck case is out. I finally worked with an old gunsmith who soaked it in kroil and then made a punch that was curved like the inside of the cylinder hole. He was barely able to tap a little on the end of the case each hit. A small amount of the case would bend and then snap off and fall through. After hundreds of taps, bends, and snaps; the case was out. It was blown so hard against the walls that there were lines on the brass case from the manufacturing lines on the cylinder walls.
Discovered the following:
each of the cylinder holes are tapered toward the chamber. Shells will not push in from that end.
hole 1 - .3825 - .381 taper
hole 2 - .380 - .380
.381 - .381
hole 3 - .381+ - .381
hole 4 - .382 - .381 taper
.381 - .381
hole 5 - .382 - .381 taper
hole 6 - .394 - .393 bulge and taper
The cylinder rubs on the top strap when hole 6 is at the top. It is possible to manually push past it, but a hammer pull will not do it.

The Dan Wesson may be stronger than the Tank (Ruger Blackhawk). My Ruger blew completely apart with the topstrap breaking away at the back sight (which disappeared). The case in the Ruger was ruptured all along the side from one end to the other; which is what blew the topstrap off. The Dan Wesson 40 only bulged the cylinder with the same ammo.

The way it happened:
After shooting one round in my brand new to me DW 40, I could not turn the cylinder. I didn't think too much about it. I thought it was another high primer, which I have gotten several of and reported on this forum. I didn't notice anything different in the shot. I put the DW down with my tools for later maintenance and kept shooting.

It was several hours later when I picked up the Ruger Max and shot one round. It exploded. There was no doubt that the ammo was the problem. I first looked and thought Oh my Gawd, that dreaded flame cutting on the topstrap. Nope it broke on the other end. So much for topstrap flame cutting problems. I got a sickening feeling in my stomach and walked over to the Dan Wesson 40. I still had to look for a problem, but after trying to turn the cylinder, I knew it was there. Same bad ammo, two guns gone. One blew apart and one just bulged.

This is now beyond my skills and experience. The DW barrel looks fine. The frame looks fine. That is using eyeballs and no measuring tools. I think I need an excellent gunsmith who has seen some blown revolvers and can say whether it's worth attempting. I could just resell the parts minus the cylinder with a full story of events. I might get back half my cash. I just really hate to see a beautiful old Dan Wesson 40 SuperMag go to the dumpster. The frame is in my favorite finish, bubba plum purple. I got one shot before I killed her. No matter what happened, I still feel like crap.

Now, on to a big issue - The ammo.
I really try to be a good team member, but in this instance I have been walking a fine line.

I spoke with the owner of the ammo company on the phone and he immediately admitted that it was the ammo. He said they had problems with the maximum ammo before this. He told me to replace the two sixguns and send him the invoices which he would pay. He never asked for a sample round. He never asked for pics. He never asked if anyone was hurt. He never asked where I bought the ammo. He knew it was his mistakes that caused the accident.

He was not happy about me asking for two guns. I told him the story and asked him what I did wrong. He said you did nothing wrong, we know it's the ammo.

Two weeks later, I remembered he had not asked for my address so I emailed him my address. I wrote what a pleasure it was dealing with an owner who stood up and did the right thing. I was effusive in my praise. I told him I was willing to take what I had into the guns, and not their replacement value. I had searched for months and got two sweet deals. I figured the Ruger Max was $1000 replacement and the Dan Wesson 40 was $1200. Instead, I offered to resolve the entire matter permanently for $1500.

THE RESPONSE I GOT BACK WAS ALL IN CAPS. So, yes, now he was angry. He wrote, "I hate paying for other people's stupidity". He wrote he would pay me when he had "EXTRA MONEY" in his account. Don't bother him. I wondered who this guy really was.

I have since found his writings on Indiana Gun Owners Organization ingo.com. He is one angry, aggressive, belligerent guy. He has more than a few other people very upset with him.

I am a small business man myself. I would hate for someone to malign me unfairly. I think this guy and his staff just made a mistake. It happens. His company appears to be medium successful and sells nationally. I believe he does all the reloads for the big police departments in Indiana. His responses to customers have been very aggressive, blaming them each time.

I took the ammo back to the gun store that sold it to me.
They said they had not been contacted about bad ammo. They are tracing where they got it now. The gun store has called the manufacturer twice to get a refund themselves on the ammo and see why he hasn't issued a recall on that bad ammo.

I have not said anything before this about him or his company, although many of you here and other forums have asked. I have tried to calm down and let go of the paranoia of shooting that inevitably follows an event when you could have been killed or wounded. I am 70 miles from a city out in the desert canyons camping solo for weeks at a time. My family has now had their intervention and asked me to stop shooting those high pressure rounds like the 357 max and the 44 mag. They also don't want me in the backcountry alone anymore. That aint happening. It's just one more piece of fallout from a dangerous hobby that I don't need.

So am I just a big Cry Baby trying to gouge a vendor? Or should I hand this to an attorney and try to find out if he is engaged in dangerous, negligent business practices. Saying his company name on a forum is sure to get him pizzed off again. Even if he somehow gets "EXTRA MONEY" in his account, I don't think I will ever see it. He has absolutely refused to even talk about an estimated date for payment.

Attorney retainer is $5000 and is not retrievable in the suit. If someone gets killed from this ammo, and I have done nothing, I will feel like scum the rest of my life. SO

PRECISION CARTRIDGE out of Indiana. I see lots of people selling their ammo. I read good reviews as well as bad. There are other stories of blown up guns. I had to guarantee the owner I will not be using his ammo ever again for him to talk to me. I have asked lots of folks now about Precision Cartridge and several have said they know the company name and have shot lots of their ammo.

Whew, enuf!
trying to do the right thing,
Prescut

toroflow

Single-Sixer
I for one appreciate you naming the company, as I now know I will never buy from them. Luckily I reload everything I shoot, but will keep this name in mind to warn off others who may inquire with me where to buy ammo. This whole affair stinks to high heaven, and that Precision owner should back his play like a man. $1500 is peanuts to settle for, and he should've jumped at the chance, but NO, he had to be an A-HOLE about it. Now I'm peesd off!!!

Is Precision Cartridge a relatively small ammo company? I haven't seen any of their stuff in the gun store. I'd find a lawyer. Sort of strange he admitted it was his ammo's fault so easily. Wasn't it sort of suspicious you had to guarantee not to use his ammo again just to get him to talk to you? That is very odd. Verbal or in writing?

But a couple questions, why go to the trouble and expense of getting the stuck brass out of a ruined chamber of the DW cylinder? I would think leaving it in the chamber would be some physical proof of bad ammo.

And I guess after the first revolver you didn't expect the ammo right away? Is that why you shot it in the second ammo? Being the Blackhawk that time? Is that what happened?

Would you post some pictures?

Coogs

Maximum
Prescut, glad you are OK!!!! Keep everything well documented. Hope you make out. I would pursue this till the ends of the earth. Curious as to what the load was. Did you pull one and weigh the charge? If you do, let's us know. Once again, glad you did not get hurt! Coggs.

contender

Ruger Guru
I would strongly suggest you contact the district attorney. It may be criminal intent if he knows he has a dangerous & defective product, and does nothing.
Or,, you can get an attorney, file suit for damages,,, get some of the remaining ammo tested at an independent pressure testing lab, etc. Your expenses & losses can be recovered,,, including attorney fees, if he is adjudicated negligent. But, more likely,, he'll settle the case before a trial,,, as most attorneys work toward that end if at all possible.

Why do all this?

Anytime a gun accident is proven to be negligent,,, it gives the anti-gunners more info to fight us. But the real reason is in your own words; " If someone gets killed from this ammo, and I have done nothing, I will feel like scum the rest of my life."
To prevent someone else from being injured or killed.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Toroflow,
I was hoping you would see this and respond. It is 100 miles from your neck of the woods where I bought it, Parker, AZ. Nice little family gun shop. They are trying to help.

Thanks for your appreciation and understanding of what it took to name the vendor. I don't like seeing the net as an offensive tool. Too many unreasonable haters out there.

I hope we get another chance to shoot together.
Does this make you nervous shooting with me? It makes me nervous shooting with me.

After it happened, I had to take a break and do all the deep breathing techniques I knew. I was shook and shaking. I was about to leave and go home, but I thought I might not come back. I needed to face my fears. So after awhile, I picked up another sixgun, loaded up some of my reloads, and tried to do some shooting. My trigger finger was gone, I haven't jerked a trigger like that in 50 years. A couple of days later, I was shooting again with some calm and control. But it wasn't free.

Kevin,
I believe they are medium to large company. I see ads, I see Facebook, I've talked to folks who recognize the name. The never shooting his ammo again is his standard demand I have seen on other complaints. It got him into trouble on INGO.com. I had to follow up in writing.
I have lots of proof of bad ammo. I believe the entire lot of 6 boxes I got are all bad. I pulled bullets and weighed. they were the same. The Ruger is in pieces with the split blownup case still in the chamber.
I'm not sure what you mean by "expect". Like I said, the first gun was a Dan Wesson SuperMag and only bulged. You could not see the bulge. I thought it was a high primer, I reported on this forum last month several primers doing just like that. I brought the guns home to free the cylinder. It was only several hours later when the Ruger blew that I tried to turn the DW cylinder and then could see a slight bulge hanging on the topstrap. The gun shop I returned to, didn't see it at all until I pointed it out. They then said the gun was toast. So that made two parties that could not tell it was damaged. and Yes, it pissed me off to no end that I somehow didn't catch it. Was this stupid or negligent? In hindsight, I still don't think so.

Coogs,
Thanks bud. You're one of the ones I was hoping would see this. I know your love for the Maximum.

Mobuck,
I am now trying myself to get the distributors and sellers to pull the ammo. I have asked and have no knowledge of the vendor ever trying to recall it. This future danger is what finally caused me to tell this story.

Dan,
I am known for being tenacious. I tend to lock onto something and not let go until satisfaction is reached. I am already calculating the cost way past $5000 attorney retainer and the two guns at $1500. It can cost a lot of money to do the right thing, if and when you can figure out what that is.

Prescut

Precision32

Blackhawk
I'd contact ATF. The ammo maker has to carry insurance to get their FFL to build ammo. They don't require it for nothing.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Hey Contender,
Another of my maximum compatriots. I did consider the County Attorney route. The issues are that this vendor is X law enforcement and sells to the local law enforcement. They have written glowing reviews. Working with the Justice System for 40 years, I believe the wagons would begin to circle. It also would light the owner's short fuse like a Rocket. This would be a direct frontal assault on his business. I have seen his nasty personal attacks and they make me more than a little nervous. I just want to see him pull the ammo. If he could show me he did that, I would forget the money. I have tried hard to not malign him or his company. I have tried to use language that is descriptive without being worthless name calling.
You wrote, it gives the anti-gunners more info to fight us. I couldn't agree more. It was my sentence about me being scum that you quoted, that involuntarily shoved me biting, scratching, and clawing into this post.

Prescut

and Mhblah, Yes, Contender said it right.

Prescut: sorry, I didn't mean "expect" I mean to say suspect. As in you didn't suspect the ammo right away as the reason the first gun had the bulged cylinder

Edited:
And thanks for the additional information. I understand now what happened. I hope you do get reimbursed for the two guns and more importantly get the ammo manufacturer to pull all the bad ammo and fix the problem from their end. Please let us know what happens.

JStacy

Blackhawk
Prescut you have no reason to feel sorry or ashamed for going after the ammo manufacturer. He destroyed your guns with his bad ammo. Ruger Max frames are extremely strong and it took a significant over load, probably a double charge, to blow one up. The first thing , and not quite so expensive, this is to have an attorney write the guy a letter and tell him if he does not resolve your claims in , say 30 days, you will file legal proceedings against him and file a complaint with the ATF . If he does not respond to that have a lawyer go for actual damages X3 for known neglent acts with no known attempts to correct it. You can also file a complaint with the consumer product safety division and they will fine him big time. The guy will probably declare bankruptcy immediately so you will have to go after his liability insurance carrier. Good luck you are in the right go after the guy and report him to the local LOE's if he threatens you.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
uh oh! I bought so e of this ammo a while back, 2 or 4 boxes I believe. Haven't shot any and now I'm not sure I dare to.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, so this guy has local LEO friends & such,, so a trip to the County DA isn't likely to get you anywhere. Then a trip to a different jurisdiction of attorneys will yield better results.
And as noted,, a follow up with the ATF, will be going over the local LEO's heads, and as such, may yield better results as well.
As you well know,,, the Ruger Maxi's are OFTEN used in custom builds by custom gunsmiths due to their size AND strength. David responded in the other thread, and he could also be a possible "expert witness" for you,,, even if by deposition only.
As a Maxi owner,,, I'd be pretty upset myself. But it's the very negative publicity that the gun community could receive if nothing was done & someone was injured or killed due to this ammo that bothers me the most.

I know of a case where a gun shop was basically "selling" CCW certification. The State requires an 8 hour course, and a demonstration of ability. This shop was letting folks sit through the few videos required by the state, NOT giving any instructor led class time, and were given a box of ammo & told to "Go shoot this & bring in your target." Total time a "student" spent was usually less than 3 hours. Luckily, they got reported, and lost the ability to teach CCW. However,,, if a single person who took their class was involved in a shooting,,, and was "in the wrong" and it was discovered they took this bogus class, the anti-gunners would have a field day.
Sometimes,, doing the right thing, trying to prevent injuries or death to innocent people may not be easy, nor cheap. But it is the right thing to do.

Keep us posted,,, we want to know where this goes!

It's incidents like this that make me have a really bad feeling about several of the relatively new ammo makers that seem to be pushing the envelope on all their products. Several offer up stuff they call +P or +P+ for cartridges for which there is no such SAAMI rating. I'll occasionally load a "warm" recipe, but only from a respected source and never exceeding SAAMI specifications.

JMHO

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Blkhawk73,

Please don't test it!
I hate to hear you have some of that ammo, but I'm really hoping you can share some info with us. I would never suggest you shoot it before contacting the vendor with the lot number off the box. Perhaps it was just a bad lot and they may know which ones.

Also, is it possible to pull a couple of bullets and weigh the powder? How about a picture of the powder. I still have no idea what the problem was. Wrong powder, mixed powder, or too much of the right stuff. It requires a bullet puller and a scale.

If you send me a round, I will gladly do it myself.

thanks and please be safe,
Prescut

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Me bad! I checked and mine's made by Jamison not Precision. My mistake. I'd only planned on trying the two SRM's to say I'd tried 'em as this ammo was for the H&R and the Competitor. I know the Competitor would hold together.

jsh

Single-Sixer
First off I am very glad to hear YOU are ok. I have read and heard about this type of thing happening before, by other small manufacturers.
However, folks should take heed that if ANYTHING looks out of order to STOP right then and there. When things seem wrong, they usually are.

IMHO I would be putting some of that ammo through some type of pressure test. Sticky extraction, flat primers, hard bolt lift etc have all been proven that they are not a reliable, repeatable source of info. When that occurs most loads are wayyyy over anything reasonable. And, I am one that crowds some cartridges pretty hard.
A chronograph tells you a LOT you just have to understand what it is telling you.
Jeff

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Simple small claims in your home county. You'll win with his admission and your witness, and he'll spend double that in travel n time away. No one was damaged beyond your property, and unless you're ready to fund a product design lawsuit and counter suit! (That might take on its own life) I'd not start calling the feds just yet... :shock:

Thanks for the detail and facts!