357 MAXI, LOOKING GOOD

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
I've been running a lot of rounds down the tube of my Ruger 357 Maxi, its the 10 1/2" version & since I put the Ultra Dot red dot scope on top its really proving to be a shooter.
A few weeks ago I posted a photo of a 5 shot group that measured 1 3/4" at 50 yds with it & since that time I've tried a number of loads trying to beat that group. My earlier load was the 205 gr LBT GC slug pushed by 18 grs of IMR 4227 & a CCI small rifle mag primer. I was really trying to get the velocity us 100 fps or so, I could gain the velocity with other powders but the accuracy wasn't there so today I went back to the original load & after missing the target with the first 3 shots (left) I got on the paper with the 4th shot, adjusted right & high for the 5th shot & then ran 5 more shots, all pretty much centered in the black with 4 shots in 1/2", this is going to be MY load, I'm through looking! :wink: I plan on giving this gun & scope combo a good workout this fall, if I miss a buck it won't be the guns fault. :roll: The final 5 shot group measured 1.258" at 50 yds, I'm ready.

100_2148.jpg

Dick

sixshot

Buckeye
Peacemaker, I ran that load through the clock at about 1440 fps.....I think, my notes are in my truck. I was beating that by 150 fps with H110 but the accuracy was almost triple. Also I'm sizing my cast slugs to .356" diameter, the cylinder throats are tight but the gun really shoots as you can see. This red dot & the no drill mount from Edge Custom is going to give some deer a real headache.......maybe heartache! :lol: I'll take it to Oklahoma with me & also use it on at least 1 deer in Montana.

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
As always,,, it's better to have the accuracy than the speed when things are "close." It looks like the Maxi is coming right along for this fall. I'll be looking for field reports,,! (I still haven't had the time to test out those 357 bullets yet,,,, but I did p/u some gas checks,,,!)

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Dick, whats the bore slug at ? If its .357" or .358", wouldn't it be better to open up the throats ? I know I had to open up all my Ruger .45 colt throats to about .453", and accuracy is great.

Also, why the red dot, over a regular scope ?

I know you're extremely experienced, just curious.

Thanks, Jeff

Nice grips on that hogleg, by the way !

sixshot

Buckeye
Jeff, I too have had to open the cylinder thoats on my 45's, I went to .4525" & it helped both of them. This gun & apparently others who have them are tight in the throats which is fine, I tried .356, .357 & .358 & the .356"s are very accurate as you can see. If it didn't shoot with any of these diameters I would slug the barrel but I think you have to start with cylinder throats.
I have a few scoped revolvers & they work fine, I just very seldom use a scoped gun but the 357 Maxi is one of the few revolver calibers thats truly a 200 yd deer gun with good bullets. I wanted to try one of the Ultra Dots because they are very fast, don't have to worry about eye relief, etc. I'm not done experimenting yet but so far things are going pretty good, I hope this LBT bullet holds up at distance, it should but I haven't shot much over 100 yds with this combo, thats about to change! :wink:
My old eyes aren't as good as some of you young roosters, I sometimes get in heavy timber or catch a buck in the sagebrush & have to let him walk because I can't see well enough with irons....and I hate letting a buck walk!

Dick

Lee Martin

Hunter
I like the grips....who did them?

BTW, all of my Maxs (Rugers & Sevilles) shoot best with 205 grain casts too. As for powders, I almost exclusively shoot H4227 & AA1680.