357 max

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bearcreek

Bearcat
hi, just started reloading for the 357 max, i have only tried 1 powder so far (imr 1680) found that 25 gr. with a 180 gr. xtp gives me 1 1/2'' at 50 yds. so i was wondering before i go out and buy different powers to try, what are your experiences with powers like, imr 4227, h110, 2400, or any others....? any input would be greatly apreciated. thanks.

sixshot

Buckeye
bearcreek, I've used all the powders you mention except for 1680 & I've heard its very good in the 357 maxie. I ue either 4227 or 2400 but if you are getting 1 1/2" groups at 50 yds I wouldn't change anything. My only concern would be that 180 gr XTP with 25 grs of 1680 might be going a fair amount faster than its designed for. I could be wrong but I would think you might over expand on short range shots on deer size game, just a thought. I only use cast slugs but nothing wrong with jacketed slugs for sure, as long as the bullet is up to the velocity. You'll like your maxie!

Dick

mattsbox99

Hunter
What gun are you loading for? If its a T/C, I would be using a spitzer pointed bullet, they have much better ballistic coefficient.

bearcreek

Bearcat
i am using a t/c (10'' barrel) getting a little over 1625 fps.i was just wondering how the outher powers do?

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I have a couple of different 357 maxi's. Two different T/C bbls,, and one Ruger. I have pretty much found that the 4227 power is sweet for me,, and yes,, I've tried a bunch of others.
PS; I have tried some of the spire pt bullets in my Contenders and they haven't shown me any accuracy increase over the flat nosed bullets. I actually found that accuracy suffered with them,, enough to call T/C & discuss the rifling twist,, and then Hornady to discuss the balance point of their spire pt bullets to see if that was the cause of the inaccuracy. If you are getting good accuracy with the 180's stick with it.

tc scout

Bearcat
Haven't been on the forum in some time.
I use H110 in my Contender, have tried all the others, none are as accurate in my 15" barrel Contender.
Also as "contender" stated, I did not have good results either with 180 gr.
SSP. Maybe because it is .358. Only shoot 180 XTP's now.
Mine shoots cloverleafs at 50 yds, 1 1/2 inch at 100 yds off a rest.