357 Max sticky pawl

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h193/Joe_S_photos/0A0A4BAF-EFD9-4232-B37D-1BA91A98AE09_zps4eyywzzz.png

Took my 10.5" Max over to my buddy Tek4260's house today to let him shoot a long handgun because it has been so long since he has. I had to keep a close eye on him because i was afraid he would sneak into his back room and cut it to 4.5", but he didn't. I mentioned to him a ding on one of the chamber mouths and he said it would be an easy fix with a polishing wheel and a Dremel. This ding was apparently done at the factory (it was blued over) and made extracting a fired cartridge next to impossible from that chamber.

I made him go into his work room ahead of me and throw out all his saws because i know how good he is at cutting barrels and it probably would be easy to talk me into it, what with the threaded front sight and all.

Anyway we got in there and popped the cylinder out and he barely kissed the chamber mouth with the stone and fixed the problem right off. He sure is smart.

I mentioned to him the cylinder gets downright impossible to turn sometimes and he messed with it til it happened. He showed me a rough spot on the pawl but told me to strip the gun down when i got home because it was probably in bad need of a detail cleaning. He also gave me a stainless pawl to try out just in case. I ended up using it because the blued one in the gun was a little rough.

So i did when i got home and boy was he right!!

This was the first thing i saw on the hammer. YUCK!!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h193/Joe_S_photos/A11EA0D8-557F-4A11-A444-8D96D0A258D7_zpsnlfxcmpa.png

Sure enough the entire inside of the gun was like that. All the springs were so gummed up it's a wonder the thing even worked at all.

Dont believe a dirty gun can't cause damage. It was so bad metal was rubbing where it shouldnt and had created a bright spot around the ratchet on the cylinder. If i had kept going there is no telling what could have happened.

After i got it cleaned up I did a little lubing per David Bradshaw's posts and also tried this trigger spring mod i saw him mention.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h193/Joe_S_photos/F7E7D52B-A859-4E4D-A295-E9E341EB7127_zpskqwkujt5.png

The gun is MUCH smoother now. Cant wait to shoot it!!

okie44

Single-Sixer
Don't let him see this pic! I have a reputation to uphold! :mrgreen: Don't let him near it with a hacksaw, I have a spare short barrel if you need one! Kinda Cute :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
image_zps2b3b3f38.jpg

Joe S.

Hunter
Neat.

There is a smith and wesson in 357/44 caliber at a local shop.

Never known anyone who use it. How you like it?

Bucks Owin

Hunter
tek4260 said:
Okie, he is on the downhill slide headed my way :)

He already let me cut one of his..... won't be long now..

Ol' pard, NO pistola is liable to be "long now" around you and your pesky saw! :lol:

Stay away you barrel demon, stay away! :mrgreen:

PS: Yep Joe, ol' tek is a right fine gun mechanic alright. Ought to hang out a shingle... :wink: