357 magnum rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bwct

Bearcat
My .357 reloading is consumed by a Ruger 77/357, Marlin 1894, and S&W model 65. I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite; although the Ruger has received more modifications.

morbid0000

Bearcat
I am also spending quite a bit of reloading on a 77357, and I like the rifle enough to be ATTEMPTING to make a custome wood stock for it. Don't get excited, its take me a year or more to finish.

Usually I'm pushing a 158gn plated bullet with 16gr of H110 at targets 75 yards away with good results. What are you loading?

eveled

Hawkeye
If carrying the same cartridge for sidearm and shoulder gun is convenient, shouldn't they fire the same rounds?
I was thinking the same thing. If you have to have different rounds for the rifle, were is the advantage of it being the same cartridge as the revolver? Especially if it is a compromise in any way.

Might as well go with a rifle cartridge.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
I was thinking the same thing. If you have to have different rounds for the rifle, were is the advantage of it being the same cartridge as the revolver? Especially if it is a compromise in any way.

Might as well go with a rifle cartridge

Any 357 mag load will be substantially improved by firing through a rifle. You do not have to load specifically for the rifle. The same ammo can be effectively run in both however if you want to maximize a load for the rifle there is no drawback to that. My 357 rifle loads out perform 223 and 300blk inside 135 yards.

bwct

Bearcat
I am also spending quite a bit of reloading on a 77357, and I like the rifle enough to be ATTEMPTING to make a custome wood stock for it. Don't get excited, its take me a year or more to finish.

Usually I'm pushing a 158gn plated bullet with 16gr of H110 at targets 75 yards away with good results. What are you loading?
I have loaded some with H110, but have also used Unique, 2400, and W231. Unfortunately I haven't had enough range time to report any specific success with a particular load. Your load sounds interesting and I'll try it at the first opportunity. I do recommend a wood stock. The wood stock makes for a much nicer looking rifle.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
What do those loads tailored for the rifle feel like to hour hands and your ears when fired from the revolver? I know they will fire, but isn't muzzle flash pretty intense?