.357 GP100: 4 or 6 inch

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GhosT

Blackhawk
LVshooter said...

"I want to get a GP100 to shoot .357's with most of the time, at the range, as well as having a good home defense revolver.

Besides the obvious portability advantage of the 4 inch barrel, what else should I consider to make a good decision."

I own a GP100 stainless 6" .
Traded in a stainless Colt Python to get it.

Sounds nutz...ugghhh.short details.
Biggest reasons, had to send the Python back a few times to COLT to fix timing issues after heavy loads.
Second reason....That Pythons stainless steel rusted like a blued gun left in water.
Not saying all COLTS DO, but mine did.

Maybe I got lucky, but my 6" GP100 I traded it in for...just as accurrate, after adjusted to the trigger pull!
This gun I Will never sell or trade away!

For target shooting the 6" rocks.
For home defense,more speed on the bullet, less recoil.

If you wanna wear it as a concealed carry gun, the 4" might be easier...SLIGHTLY...

But the general framework doesn't shrink.....Both versions bulky.
Hence, my owning a SP101 too :wink:

Those that mentioned SECURITY SIX's...
I SOO WISH RUGER WOULD BRING THEM BACK.
Even though, the lighter weight equals more "kick"!

rich642z

Single-Sixer
Well,I have to say is this,I would sell all my S&Ws and Glocksin 9mms just to have ALL RUGER REVOLVERS AND PISTOLS. just my opinion. rich642z

DogBone

Bearcat
Hard to beat a 4" GP100.

Big enough for the mountains, small enough for the street.

My 4" GP100 and 2.25" SP101:
GP100-1.jpg

TreeDoc

Bearcat
As many have said, the 5 inch is very nice. I just found one last week and let me tell you it is one sweet shooter. I like it better than the 6 and it balances better for me than the 4.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
The 5" is a Davidsons exclusive, and they show them in stock. Nice compromise.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=1740&index=1&mfg=Ruger&mdl=GP100&cat=1&type=Revolver&cal=All&fin=All&sit=All&pid=&inv=

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Hi,

For me it was hard to decide whether to get a GP100 4 inch or a Security/Service Six. So I bought both!. As far as barrel length the 4 inch barrel is the best all around option. The 6 inch is great but I feel the 6 inch is more for the range and a dedicated hunting revolver. And as far as the strength of the Security/Service Six, I also have three S&W K frame magnums. There is no question my Service is much stronger for shooting 357s.

Good luck,
Howard
GP100ServiceSix.jpg

Snobal

Bearcat
I had both a 6" and a 4" GP100. Both are great guns. The 4" shot better for me one-handed, and the 6" shoots better for me two-handed. Both shot great 25 yard groups. The 4" was my favorite "all-around" revolver.

Then I found a used 3" SP101 which does everything the 4" GP100 did, only in a smaller, easier to carry package. My favorite "all-around" revolver is now the 3" SP101 (so I traded the 4" GP100 for another gun that I couldn't live without :wink: ).

In our local Bullseye matches, sometimes I shoot the 6" GP100, sometimes (just for fun) I shoot the SP101.

My suggestion is to get the 6" GP100 for a "do everything" gun, then get a SP101 for an easy-to-carry, pocket-size fun gun. :D

JMHO - YRMV