357 flattop to 44 special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

happydog

Bearcat
howdy all. I have a very used 357 flattop that I would like to convert to 44 Special. Only real problem with it is the hammer notches caught hell when a previous owner fanned the gun a few thousand times :evil: !! Anyway, hammer is shot !! A good buddy has a set of old model 357 parts left over from a factory conversion to the "safe" action. Question. Will the hammer and parts from an old model fit my flattop ?? This is a good friend, how much should I pay for the parts (hammer, cylinder pin, trigger, springs, etc.) ???? Thanks for your help here :D !!!!! happydog

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
To answer your question,, "maybe" but probably. If I were sending it to a gunsmith to have a conversion done,, I'd let him check all of it with a new hammer. (And have him check everything else too!)

happydog

Bearcat
good advise, contender. I'll send the whole package, new parts and all, in for consideration. Anybody help me out with a price on the parts ?? thanks.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, those of us who need a set of original OM parts to convert one back from that gritty conversion action,, will pay around $125 or so for a good set.

happydog

Bearcat
thanks contender. As I stated, my flattop hammer is in tough shape, I REALLY hope the old model parts will fit. You have been most helpful !!!

contender

Ruger Guru
I second the above info from these posters. It might cost you less thana set of parts just to get him to "work over" the gun. Besides, those original parts are already matched to the gun somewhat.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I know Im in the minority here, but you could buy a New Model
.44 Spcl. for less than what the coversion would cost, and
you could keep the Old Model FT. Kinda like two for one :wink: .
JM$0.02 I hate to see even a shooter FT lost.
Terry
PS- Welcome to the Forum!!!!

oldies

Single-Sixer
Might want to check the cylinder too. If the gun wasn't tuned for
fanning, there's a good chance that the locks have been damaged
as well.

oldies

CraigC

Hawkeye
T.A. WORKMAN":2mhs1c2l said:
I hate to see even a shooter FT lost.
Having an artisan convert an abused beater flat-top to .44Spl along with a complete rebuild and refinish makes it "lost"??? I will never understand this logic.

If what a feller wants is a custom Old Model .44Spl, a factory New Model will NEVER suffice. I know I wouldn't trade my former beater, flat-top .44Spl for three or four new factory guns.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
CraigC":1u4fwvac said:
T.A. WORKMAN":1u4fwvac said:
I hate to see even a shooter FT lost.
Having an artisan convert an abused beater flat-top to .44Spl along with a complete rebuild and refinish makes it "lost"??? I will never understand this logic.

If what a feller wants is a custom Old Model .44Spl, a factory New Model will NEVER suffice. I know I wouldn't trade my former beater, flat-top .44Spl for three or four new factory guns.

I too admire the outstanding work these men do, they are truly works of Art, and I fully understand the pros and cons of the conversion. I just state my opinion and you replied with yours! I however DO understand your logic! :wink:

CraigC

Hawkeye
T.A. WORKMAN":3d7t8ypv said:
I however DO understand your logic!
I understand the purist or collector who does not want a nice example modified in any way. I don't agree but I understand.

What I don't understand is the idea that a beat-up and abused sixgun with broken hammer notches from fanning and other associated signs of abuse is somehow a worthy existence but having the sixgun brought back to life, rebuilt, refinished and converted to a more useful chambering is somehow "lost". As if equal to melting it down. As if these guns are too sacred to be reworked by a skilled gunsmith but not too sacred to be abused by its dummy owner.

happydog

Bearcat
I do have a number of very beautiful and collectable rugers and would not destroy a valuable example. Believe me, the 357 I want to convert has little if any collector interest. The hammer is a mess, the cylinder bolt noches will need some work and maybe the trigger worked on as well. The finish is much used but not abused. I think my ruger is perfect for such a conversion and yes a new 44 flat top could be had, but it ain't got three screws and it don't go click-clack-ca-click !! :D It will be loved and cherished after it's "operation" !!! happydog

This started as an old model 357 flat top that had the hammer notches broken, finish worn and internals well used. John Gallaghaer made it into a 44 Special and it has become one of my most favorite revolvers. Go for it!
Spence-6Guns018.jpg