.357 Blackhwawk VS. GP100 accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

blkhwk741

Bearcat
Hello Everyone,

I am curious if a GP100 6' barrel would have the equivalent target accuracy of a Blackhawk 6.5" barrel.

I currently own a 1960 .357 Flattop, which is a wonderful revolver but my aged eyes will not allow me to utilize the iron sights anymore. I only target shoot indoors up to 25 yards. I am considering selling the Flattop and purchasing a GP100, then installing a Weigand optic mount on the GP. I have utilized the Weigand with an optic on an early RST6 and early Super Single Six and they are a joy to shoot. Weigand does not make a mount for the Flattop model.

Will GP100 6' barrel have the equivalent target accuracy of a Blackhawk 6.5" barrel?

Thanks,
Chris
Ruger%201960%20Flattop_zpszuvubsud.jpg
[/url][/img]

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I own more than one of both guns and have shot both the Gp's and BH's in those barrel lengths a lot. I find both equally accurate. What ever style fits your hand and feels best to you will be the most accurate for you. I doubt any difference between the two could even be found if fired from a machine rest assuming both guns were built to spec and one of them did not have a problem.
I have a red dot on one of my 6" GP's and it shoots like a rifle. Six shot ragged hole groups at 25 yd. is not uncommon. All my BH's are iron sighted so ,like you, my 69 year old eyes prevent any bragging groups most days.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Blkhwk742.... barrel accuracy comes down to individual barrel. In practical terms, some folk shoot a DA better than a single action; while others shoot better with a single action. Accuracy from the most uniform revolver barrel will be ruined by a lousy forcing cone (as well as a few other factors). Your question on "barrel accuracy" always comes down to tolerances and uniformity of the individual barrel.

INTRINSIC ACCURACY of the instrument comes down to the gun. PRACTICAL ACCURACY represents what the shooter is able to do with it.
David Bradshaw

blkhwk741

Bearcat
Thank you, Chuck and David. I had assumed that a GP100 would be a fine substitute for the Blackhawk, but it is assuring to get a confirmation from those with practical experience.

I have a scope mounted on my GP and it is very accurate even out to 100 yards. It's just so stinking heavy. It's the 6in version. A better option I just thought of is a 4in with one of those small red dots. Hmm. Just think twice before selling the flat top!

Blueduck

Bearcat
Can't speak for 357 Blackhawks as I don't own one, but can say my 5" GP-100 is without a doubt my most accurate revolver.

Back in the days when I read more gun magazines, it was actually pretty consistent to see review results showing the GP100 having better average accuracy than errr... other comparable brands :wink:

Blueduck

Bearcat
BTW on selling one to buy another, I've kind of made peace with that.

In a perfect world I could keep everything, but not being independently wealthy, not going to happen. I used to look back in regret to all the pistols I let slip from my grasp, but if not for the selling and trading, I would never have even had most the ones I enjoy most now, or missed later. I look at them like dogs, instead of being sad they are gone, I recall how much I enjoyed them while I had them :)

s4s4u

Hunter
The shooter will have more of an effect on accuracy than the guns, unless one of them is defective in some way.

blkhwk741

Bearcat
Bisleyfan41: Thanks. The Blackhawk is a looker. I like your suggestion, but unfortunately my mortgage company will not allow me to skip a payment to spend on a GP.

Kevin: I too am considering the 4" GP to be a better alternative for indoor target shooting.

Blueduck: I agree wholeheartedly with your style of ownership. I too have owned myriad handguns over the years and every one that was sold or traded resulted a new firearm to enjoy. I just keep rotating the stock.

S4s4u: I agree about the shooter having the most affect on accuracy. Every firearm I have owned has been more accurate than my ability. The enjoyment for me is in trying to come as close as possible to matching the ability/accuracy of the firearm.

I believe it is time for the Flattop to move on. If I could convert to something similar as this, but it is really not feasible. (And please, limit your offers to kick me in the groin for abuse I heaped on this once handsome Single Six, it can be returned to its former derivation!)
1965%20Super%20Single%20Six_zpsewdx5wfo.jpg
[/url][/img]

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have had both and still have 2 GP100 6" models. I had the Blackhawks to go with my lever actions, great set up but as mention earlier I could not hit the broad side of a barn with the Blackhawks so I sold them for the GP100's. The GP100 I can hit anything that I am aiming at.
Good Luck on the decision but for me I will never own another Blackhawk. I Had two and could not hit with either. Give me the GP or a Redhawk and dead on.

Rclark

Hunter
They do say Single Actions are a bit harder to 'learn' to shoot right. I seem to do all right though with mine once I found loads they like (but that's with any revolver/pistol/rifle). Have no problem shooting my dads GP100 or SP101 either ... Comes down to the individual in my mind.

jpdeacon

Bearcat
Have both and each is very accurate. Have had the Blackhawk for 40+ years and still shoots like a champ. Have only had the GP100 for 2+ years and it shoots like a champ. Shoot mostly reloads and both guns eat my reloads without a hiccup. If at all possible hang on to the Blackhawk, its a shooter.

Glassfixer

Bearcat
I favor the GP100 due to the faster load and unloading. But the four clicks while cocking the three screw Blackhawk is like music. These are reasons to have both in my opinion.

dakota1911

Buckeye
With me the Blackhawk I bought in 76 is a little better than the GP-100 I bought in the 80s, but not much. This is shooting them over bags on the same day with the same ammo.