357 Blackhawk to 38-40 Conversion w/ Herter's Barrel? *Pics*

Help Support Ruger Forum:

waarp8nt

Bearcat
attachment.php
attachment.php

I have always been a gun guy since way back when I was a little tike. My uncle told me about having a Ruger Blackhawk 357 converted to a 38-40. At that age...it was a gun so I was interested, but really had no clue what he was talking about. My uncle passed a little over a year ago and I am in the process of getting his "custom" Blackhawk from the estate by agreement with my aunt. I should be getting it Friday the 11th, so no pictures yet as private sales in IL require 3 day wait.

The barrel was made in West Germany...my guess is the conversion was done let 70's or early 80's. Any earlier than that and I doubt I would remember, but its possible he told the story not in real time, but past tense. Also, from a quick internet search it appears Herter's went out of business in 1981.

My questions for you fine folks is as follows; was this a common conversion starting with a Ruger Blackhawk 357 to convert to 38-40 using a Herter's barrel in .401? Value...does such a conversion hurt or help the value? I won't sell because of the family history, just curious the current value.

Any and all information, questions, comments and/or smart remarks appreciated!

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Value depends on the quality of the work. Using a Herters Powermag barrel would be no different than starting with a raw barrel blank depending on the work done and the level of craftsmanship and the accuracy of the chamber work.
Pictures???

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yeah, what Chuck said.

It's a great cartridge and very few Rugers made for it from the factory. But we need to see it. Large frame or mid size?

A nice job and not a lot of wear would probably sell for $500 + or -.

I had to make mine with a custom barrel blank on a new model large frame Blackhawk. I've dressed it in steel grip frame with steel ejector housing and Super Blackhawk low, wide hammer:

orig.jpg

win1894s

Blackhawk
that's my plan. but I havnt decided on frame size.just got barrel from sac Johnson. going to try to put all together my self including rechamber the cylinders

win1894s

Blackhawk
I'm thinking new vaq in 357. that way I can chamber it 10mm.IF MY uberti 38/40 cylinders fit ill buy one from gun parts corp.don't want to change out my old vaqueros

waarp8nt

Bearcat
After the required 3 day wait on private sales. The pictures have been uploaded for your viewing pleasure!