338 RCM Stock and Sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WiFowler

Bearcat
Purchased a Hawkeye 338 RCM a few months ago for a trip to Alaska. Great rifle and great cartridge.

For the most part the trip to Alaska was a success. I say this only because the Hawkeye didn't make it back in one piece! On departure from our hunting area the pilot banked hard and the load in the back of the aircraft (Cessna 206) shifted hard. Hard enough to cause the rear doors to open! Of the gear that took a trip back to earth was my Hawkeye.

Pilot turned back and landed and we retrieved our fallen gear - Hawkeye included. The fall from the aircraft broke the stock (wood) at the wrist.

Upon returning home, I took the gun into my local 'smith and had it checked from 'stem to stern'. Other than the broken stock, everything appears fine.

Here's my dilemma . . . both the 'smith and I have called Ruger (NH Service Center) and asked to purchase a replacement wood stock, explaining the circumstances. And both of us have been told to send the gun in as the stock is a 'factory fit' part, not because of the fall. Why is it that for the Hawkeye I have to send it in? I've ordered replacement stocks for other M77s in the past without any issue or having to send the gun back. I'd consider an aftermarket composite, but no one seems to be offering one. The Bell & Carlson I looked at for a MK II S/A was no where near close to being correctly inletted for the Hawkeye.

My other question is, can the rear sight from either the 375 Alaskan or African be installed on the 338 RCM without additional drilling and tapping? I've looked at the 375 Ruger sights and much prefer them to the RCM sights.

Canazes9

Bearcat
There is no difference in inletting between a Hawkeye and a MKII that I'm aware of. The RCM probably has a differeent barrel profile than standard, but that's easily fixed w/ a little elbow grease, sandpaper and some deep dish sockets.

Below is a Hawkeye stainless in 338 federal that I fit to a standard MKII ultralight stock purchased from Brownells. Took a few hours of sanding w/ various grits of sandpaper wrapped around various deep dish sockets to retrofit the standard Hawkeye action to the MkII ultralight stock. It was a little tedious, but not difficult at all. The only changes to the inletting were the barrel channel. Refinished w/ tung oil to seal everything back up when done.

M771.jpg

BTU
David

Canazes9

Bearcat
I think so. Like I said, I did it w/ a standard Hawkeye, not an RCM. One of the "claims to fame" for the RCM cartridges is that any standard short action can be converted to an RCM - it's not supposed to be a different Magnum action. The only wild card is the different barrel contour.

I've got a Ruger Hawkeye plastic stock sitting in my closet at home ( came w/ my Hawkeye). It's yours for the cost of shipping if you want to play w/ it and make sure you can make your RCM fit before you buy a stock from Brownells. Pm your shipping information if you are interested.

David

CP

Bearcat
Not so… You will find that the magazine box on RCMs and Mark lls in WSMs and RSUMs are wider than those found in other short action Ruger rifles. Moreover, the rail cut outs and width are also different. If you buy an after-market SA Ruger Stock, you will have to relieve the magazine box area for a proper fit. If a little additional weight is not an issue, you may want to try this:
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/JRS-RUGER ... 00-053.htm

CP.