327 to 32 Conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tomf52

Bearcat
Has anyone ever sent a three inch SP 101 327 Federal back to RUGER FOR A 32 h&r cylinder and a four inch barrel? Will they do this? This is the configuration I was originally looking for but couldn't find after two years so I bought the three inch.

G2

Hunter
IIRC, Ruger never made a 4" 32 H&R Mag.
32 H&R Mag is no longer offered in any Ruger platform and I doubt it ever will.
The 327 Mag is the "replacement" chambering for the 32 H&R.
Now we single action enthusiast's are just waiting for them to offer something.
Ruger is not a custom shop and very rarely do anything but put guns back into offered platforms.
IMO 3" or 4" its only a inch.
The 4" .22 full lug or half lug is a desirable and sought after. IMO the full lug is just too much steel for .22 cal.

I think this answers your questions.

tomf52

Bearcat
Ruger did make a 4" 32 Mag, very limited production. This brain fart of mine would have been an expensive remake I'm sure but what the h----. The 4 " barrel would give a longer sight radius for paper punching, which is mostly what my shooting consists of. I do have however, a 3" Model 60 Smith in .357 that shoots every bit as good as my other 4" guns. Maybe this one will be OK too.

G2

Hunter
Well, my, my, my I stand corrected, however I did IIRC, just incorrectly so. :roll:
Please daddy don't beat me! :shock:

I think you better jump on 2 dogs gun. there you have it! and you couldn't get one from a nicer guy.

Well since I have never even seen a picture of one do they come fixed sight or that ugly adj. sight?

One thing amout this forum, stick around and you learn something.

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
tomf52, not to confuse things, but just out of curiosity, if Ruger will do the conversion for you, why do you want a 4" barrel AND a .32 H&R cylinder? You can shoot .32 H&Rs in a .327 Federal cylinder can't you? I don't have one, but I always thought it was just like shooting .38 Special ammo in a .357 Magnum revolver, or .44 Special ammo in a .44 Magnum revolver. Am I all wet? :?:

tomf52

Bearcat
I have this thing about shooting shorter cases in the longer chambers. In my .357's I load even wadcutter target loads in the .357 cases. Don't fire 38 Spec in those guns. Just a quuirk of mine. Don't like cleaning the carbon rings out of the chambers or the increase of leading, and yes I have seen a difference when using shorter cases with the leading in cyl throats. The 4" barrel was my first choice bbut now here one is. Always the way.

tomf52

Bearcat
What was very interesting to me was in the owner's manual for the SP101, a generic manual for all calibers, Ruger advised against shootiing .22 shorts in the .22 LR chambers, claining that a burn ring could develop. There was , however, no such warning for using 32 S&W,Longs, and H&R Mags in the 327 chambers. Go figure? Also, I have ample 32 H&R brass but no 327 brass and it is at the moment nonexistent.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
tomf52":1amtx4g4 said:
What was very interesting to me was in the owner's manual for the SP101, a generic manual for all calibers, Ruger advised against shootiing .22 shorts in the .22 LR chambers, claining that a burn ring could develop. There was , however, no such warning for using 32 S&W,Longs, and H&R Mags in the 327 chambers. Go figure? Also, I have ample 32 H&R brass but no 327 brass and it is at the moment nonexistent.

I didn't see that warning for my SRH .454 either. Got tired of rotorooting the cylinder after shooting .45 Colts, so now I load everything for it in .454 cases. I so seldom shoot a .357 out of my GP-100 I really haven't paid any attention to it. I'll go check now and see how a .357 slides in...

Back - they went in snick-snick-snick 6 times. No problem. With my .454 I couldn't chamber the rounds.

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
tomf52":29qma7ek said:
I have this thing about shooting shorter cases in the longer chambers. In my .357's I load even wadcutter target loads in the .357 cases. Don't fire 38 Spec in those guns. Just a quuirk of mine. Don't like cleaning the carbon rings out of the chambers or the increase of leading, and yes I have seen a difference when using shorter cases with the leading in cyl throats. The 4" barrel was my first choice bbut now here one is. Always the way.

Thanks for the reply tomf52. :) Yeah, I'm the same way. And as a dedicated handloader, I've never understood the reasoning behind using .38 Special cases in a .357 Magnum revolver, or .44 Special cases in a .44 Magnum revolver - except in the occational, but rare times I've loaded used abnormally long, heavy bullets and was faced with COALs too long for the revolver's cylinders. At those times I've had to use the shorter cases. Either that, or crimp over the bullet's front driving bands if I was intent on using magnum length cases.
Anyway, thanks. I was just curious. I guess you don't like cleaning those carbon rings out of your revolver's chambers any more than I do. :)

tomf52

Bearcat
Sharp Sooter - I guess I'm going to have to modify my behavioral thinking with this 327 Fed as the brass is just not aaround and I don't really want to get involved with adjusting or adding a die set. I'm really into a Marlin Cowboy 32 and thought a companion handgun would be nice to have. I don't know why as I just paper punch anyway. Maybe just an excuse to buy another gun. I shoot only lead, except for the new gun break in peeriod and all loads arre very mild. Cases last me forever. 32 H&R it is going to be for the SP101.

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
I also have one in the 4" . I wondered if I could get the .327 cylinder
for mine ? I have been told you can use 32 mag dies for loading the
.327 I do not like shooting shorter cases in longer chambers either.

FrontSite

SP1014.jpg

dougader

Hunter
I have never had a problem with shooting shorter cases in 357 or 454 revolvers. But I only shoot light target loads in the shorter caes. I don't know if that makes a diference. And I clean my guns well - not huge amounts of elbow grease, either - just a thorough cleaning.

I shoot wadcutters and light swc's in 38 Special cases and 250 grain hardcast rnfp in 45 Colt cases. Never a problem with having longer 357 cases or 454 cases chamber fully afterwards.

TDF

Single-Sixer
For what it's worth, 32 S&W loads out of my 32 H&R mag Single Six is the most accurate revolver pistol/load combination I have ever shot. I've never had any problems with the shorter cases in cylinders meant for longer cartridges either.

YMMV,
TDF

2 dogs

Buckeye
I load 327's with my Dillon 32 dies. If nobody buys my 4 inch 32 SP101 I will definitely have it rechambered to 327. There is certainly enough cylinder there. It would be a superior trail gun if you ask me.

jpickar

Blackhawk
I don't understand the thinking on this not shooting 22 shorts in a 22LR or 38's in a 357. Years ago, like pre WWII, rifles that the steel was not that great shooting 22 shorts would put a burn ring in the chamber. But since then I have not heard of a problem with that.

I have a Ruger blackhawk in 357 and have hardly shot any 357's in it in 30's years. 99% of my shooting is plinking and I shoot 38's. The only reason I shoot 357's is to see where they are hitting before I go in the woods. No burn rings in my chambers either.

I want to know why do you shoot 357's if your not defending yourself from a 4 legged critter? I just never thought of it any other way I guess.

Thanks, John

APEXDUCK

Single-Sixer
If your really against shooting 32 H&R Mags and 32 S&W out of your 327, why not send your gun back to Ruger and have them fit a second 327 cylinder for you? Make that one a dedicated 32mag cylinder. I really see no problem with shooting 32S&W or 32 H&R Mags out of a 327 cylinder. Might require a bit more cleaning but should not harm the gun in any way.

APEXDUCK

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
Back when I started in law enfocement, almost every department used .38 specials for qualification. While I almost never carried a .357 on duty, prefering .44 Specials, .45 Colts, and .45 ACPs, I did shoot either a S&W M28 and/or a M19 in order to use the free ammo.

.38 special wadcutters were very dirty and would lead up the cylinder a bit. However, it took a lot of them to make my revolvers unable to chamber .357 cartridges. It didn't take that much cleaning to delead the chambers.

I did find that my 6" M28 wasn't all that fond of .38 wadcutters, much prefering a diet of 125 gr JHPs over a dose of Unique. The 4" M19 that I carried to the police academy shot them fine.

I would have carried my .44 Special to the academy, but that would have meant me having to load 500+ loads of ammo and the department furnished the .38 WCs at no cost.

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
A father and son who are nationally competitive shoot .38 Short Colts in their Rugers at our CAS club. I know for a fact they practice live-fire a lot, rarely clean their chambers and load a longer round without problem anytime they encounter a knock-down target. Their powder is Trail Boss. They say they can fire hundreds of rounds in Short Colt brass and then chamber a longer case, no sweat!

Before their switch to Trail Boss, they maintain they would have trouble chambering a longer case after only a few rounds of Short Colt loaded with W 231 were sent downrange. If they did manage to chamber the round, they invariably encountered difficulty in extracting the case.

The bullet in the two SC loads is the same as is the crimp and OAL. The velocities are very close.

Can there be that much variation in the amounts of residue left at the case mouths by short rounds in .357 chambers?

Is the residue left by the two powders of a drastically different nature?

Is there something else I'm missing?

Rich