327 SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JustsayMo

Single-Sixer
My recent discovery and appreciation of 32 caliber revolvers has caused me to bring another one home... This time it was an SP101 in 327 Federal.

007-2_zpsd5be28dd.jpg

I was already a fan of the SP101 as the 357 version is a frequent companion. Another bonus was that this one came with a bunch of ammo too... So that meant a trip to the range was in order.

014_zpsd3fea42c.jpg

I started out using some 32 H&R loads that work well in my Single Six using the RCBS 32-98 SWC.

The often cited 3.2grain W231 (Hodgdon's starting load) gets 928 fps average in the 5.5" Single Six and drops down to 815 fps in the 3" SP101. It shot well considering it was the first shots out of a new gun.

Alliant's MAX published load of Unique averaged 997 fps, was VERY accurate and prints about 1" above point of aim at 7 yards. The Single Six spits these out a 1190 fps and my Marlin 1894 get 1365 fps.

Hodgdon's MAX published load for Lil'Gun averaged 1145 fps and showed promising accuracy. The Single Six averages 1287fps and the 1894 averages 1724 fps with this load. Accuracy is good but the velocity is inconsistent with wide extreme spreads. That was true at the starting levels too.

I rarely buy or shoot factory ammo. Since this ammo came with it I was curious what it would do.

The first was some Black Hills 85 gr JHP in 32 H&R Mag. It proved to be the most accurate of the day and averaged 939 fps. The group was about 2" High and a little right of point of aim.

011-1_zpsab17e55f.jpg

The Georgia Arms 100gr JHP in 32 H&R averaged 1174 fps and was impressively accurate as well. The primers were pretty flat with this load.

009-1_zpsc0936c03.jpg

There was also a package of 32 S&W Long made by Georgia Arms. It too shot well averaging 878 fps. The primers were somewhat flattened in this load too.

The last load I tested was some American Eagle 327 Federal Magnum 85g JSP. They averaged 1323fps and were impressively accurate. The recoil was noticeable and the muzzle flash was visible in daylight. It was quite comfortable to shoot in the SP101. I found it interesting that the Single Six 32 H&R comes close to reaching that velocity with the Lil'Gun load with a heavier bullet - 100 gr as cast, 1287 fps.

008-1_zps1c230216.jpg

I've got the same gun. It is enjoyable to shoot. I don't have a chronograph but your numbers sound good. I also have the 327 in the 8 s'not blackhawk. I have noticed there is a lot less recoil in that gun. Longer barrel and heavier are the reason I suppose.

Okie69

Bearcat
I bought the 101 in 327 when they first hit the dealers. I am a big fan of the 32's, two single sixes and the 101. I have experienced a good deal of leading with the 101, while shooting 327's and 32 mag. The two single sixes have not near the leading problem shooting the same 32 mag loads. The 101 is quite accurate at 25 yards, shooting a 4'' group off hand. I have shot it thousands of rounds and the trigger is very smooth with double action, I did have to replace the lighter hammer spring with the original after it began to have light strikes. The 101 is still one of my favorite guns.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Just had my SP-101 in .327 out today... nice day, fairly warm in Michigan. I had not tried out any .32 S&W in it yet so those were first.
I was shooting at an old 55 gal drum from about 20 yards away and was able to hit it easily using an offhand hold. Those .32 S&W rounds (lead round nose) hardly recoiled at all and just put big dents in the drum. Accurate but not impressive power wise. Next up were the 100gr .327 Fed Mag JSP loads. These loads recoil more but are still quite manageable. Now I was blowing dime sized holes through both sides of the drum. The drum was backlit by the sun so it was quite fun seeing the sunlit holes appear. The muzzle blast of the .327 loads was also much more impressive than the .32 S&W. Most people are quite amazed by the performance of the .327 round after their initial thought that .32 caliber is a pipsqueak round.

I don't think I will buy any more .32 S&W ammo as the power is quite low but .32 H&R Mag or .327 is on the shopping list!

I hope that Ruger does not give up on the .327 Fed Mag caliber. It's a lot of fun to shoot!

Cordite

Dregg

Single-Sixer
My local g/s has a used SP-101 32 H&R for sale for $375. I don't know much about the 32 H&R round so I passed on it. I was hoping it was a .22 !!

KEN TN

Bearcat
I have the Laser grips on my 327 SP101 and love it. A little heavy for every day carry but a fine piece for hiking in Colorado. I do not get far into the Mountains so not many bears at this elevation.

Enjoy that 327.

Ken

41manor44

Single-Sixer
Glad to hear that you picked up a 327. I enjoy shooting mine as well as the GP in 327. Good accurate caliber. If I find one in the Blackhawk I'm afraid it will be coming home with me. Fun little caliber plus I reload for it so no problem with ammo. Enjoy yours.

I also have a GP in .327 and the more I shoot it the more I like it. I had a scope on it this fall and hit a squirrel from 30 yards wit it. My "pocket rocket" is a 2" Smith 632 Pro Series in .327. It's also a fine shooter.

I was just looking at TKCustom's website, thinking about sending them my cylinders for a little trim and some moon clips. I also just bought a pancake holster from MTR for the GP and have a set of Eagle smooth Secret Service grips on the way to make it a little more CC friendly.

I really like this cartridge. It's quickly gaining on the .45's(Colt,ACP&Schofield) for my highest affection.

C.S.