.327 Mag Blackhawk Lock-Up

Help Support Ruger Forum:

magpouch

Single-Sixer
So, I'm looking for some info on an issue related to how this revolver locks up after having changed out the hammer to a super-blackhawk hammer. The issue is that if I cock the hammer very slowly when it just catches the full cock notch the cylinder is not quite at full lock. If I pull the hammer back in a manner that is more than just barely to full cock it does lock the cylinder. So it seems to me that the original pawl in combination with this hammer is ever so slightly short.

I was considering trying to "stretch" the pawl by peening with a center punch. I have several new spares, but have never fit one.

Before I attempt my "fix", does anyone have any advice?

Thanks guys!

Jon

contender

Ruger Guru
This is normal.
In fact, if you cock the gun in a normal, smooth motion the weight of the cylinder rotation & all should allow it to lock in place. Going slow doesn't do this.

magpouch

Single-Sixer
So you're saying to leave it alone? :)

It does lock properly when cocked in a normal manner.

Thank you very much.

Jon

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Ideally the cylinder should carry up just as the hammer clicks into full cock position. This timing would apply to Colt style guns. It is prudent to have the cylinder carry up just before the hammer clicks into full cock, not the other way around.

CU

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
This is what you learn if you start cocking revolvers real slow. For the most part if the momentum of the cylinder rotates into the locked position with a normal thumb cock, then all is well. :D

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
The newer Vaquero I just cocked very, very slowly locked the cylinder. As one would wish when firing a fouled, dirty weapon and cylinder has no momentum to speak of, no?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Since you have other pawls, you may find that one of them will give you perfect timing. It's the slight variances that exist in parts tolerances. Just FYI: it's the lower step on the pawl that's affecting your cyl lockup.

#2. MY SHORTCUT FOR REMOVING JUST HAMMER and/or PAWL in New Models:

Recognize, you do not need to hassle with the PESKY LOADING GATE SPRING, pull the trigger pin, OR trigger/transfer bar JUST to remove the hammer and pawl. Once you remove the grip frame, the hammer pin is the only other part you need to remove. After that, just pull the hammer back and all the way down, then depress the hammer plunger in the base of the hammer with a small tipped screwdriver to clear the trigger extension where the transfer bar connects to it. Let the hammer & pawl fall out. Reinstall the hammer and pawl back in the same way they came out. Push the plunger in by pushing it against the trigger extension just like you did with the tip of the small screwdriver, and the hammer will slip by the trigger extension. Piece o' cake.

Occasionally a hammer change that just barely cocks is because it's hitting the back of the slot in the grip frame. I have had to slightly lengthen the slot with a few file strokes.

If either the trigger or hammer pin are snug fits, after they're removed the first time, it's the opportunity to polish them so they're slip fits to put back in and remove the next time.

TIPS FOR INSTALLING GRIP FRAMES:

Always unhook both legs of the trigger spring for reassembly, it's easier to get the spring behind the trigger shelf.

Always leave the cyl out so you can confirm the cyl latch spring/plunger is properly aligned on the latch so it has tension on it by seeing it sticking up thru the frame, before putting in any grip frame screws. Put the cyl pin back in the frame to keep the transfer bar from hanging up on the firing pin when moving the hammer up and down.

The cyl hand spring to the left side of the hammer goes plunger first. Also, you can put a small magnet over the spring to hold it in the hole and just let the grip frame push the magnet out of the way as the grip frame ear slips into position over the hole.

Install all five screws but do not cinch them tight. Align the grip frame edges flush with the cyl frame by tapping with the butt of a plastic handled screw driver. Tighten one trigger guard screw, then front screw and then one ear screw. Then tighten them all. Check for ease of hammer movement to be sure it's not rubbing on grip frame ears.

NOTE: While you have the grip frame off, it's always good to examine the upper end of all the grip frame screws blind screw holes in the main frame (especially stainless guns) for thread shavings that weren't cleaned out from the factory and get crammed in there by the screws.

Also check the two trigger guard screw holes where they are exposed by the milling cut if your grip frame has the two projections that go into the main frame (the New Vaquero and New FT BH guns no longer have these projections and milling cuts). Almost always there will be a huge flat 'roll-over' burr in each hole from the milling cuts that expose the holes. If they are present they generally cause the 1st 1/8" of removing those two screws to take extra effort to unscrew and can cause screws to screw in too tight and/or break off. You'll need to break off the burrs and pick them out with a dental pick or equivalent tool.