.327 Federal brass - does it still exist? (and other questions).

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GB60

Bearcat
Hello Ruger Forum members!

Brand new to your forum, though I've been active in shooting and handloading for the past 25 years. I've loved all of my Rugers (past and present). I currently own a GP100 Stainless 5" Barrel in .357 Magnum, which is doing just fine. My Single Seven Bisley .327 Federal Magnum, however, has been reduced to shooting .32 H&R Magnum loads for far too long. I've been trying for months to find a source for .327 Federal brass, but it seems to be as scarce as hen's teeth these days. I've seen a little bit on Gunbroker go for around $1/piece (or much more), but nothing at all from any legit suppliers. Anybody out there have any suggestions? If any of you handloaders out there have a stash, I'd be happy enough to pay up to $50 per 100 for new brass...

And speaking of .327 Federal brass... Anyone had any experience with Hornady brass in this caliber? I'm wondering because this has been my experience so far with the .327 Federal:

Bought Federal factory ammo (loaded hot), got 2 more firings out of it (much milder handloads), then the primer pockets loosened up noticeably, so I dumped them.

Bought new Starline brass, loaded them somewhere between mild and medium hot, got 3 firings out of it, then noticed radial cracks starting to appear just forward of the web portion of the case (indicating incipient case head separation). I realize that the cartridge is rated for a max. pressure of 45,000 psi, but my handloads couldn't have been anywhere near that pressure level, so I was surprised at such a short case life. As a note, I bought the Starlines in 2 separate batches, about 8 months apart, so it's unlikely they were from the same manufacturing lot.

I'm bringing all of this up because I'd like to keep loading this nice little cartridge, but I'm struggling with these issues of short supply and short case life. The only other manufacturer that's come across my radar is Roberson Cartridge Company, who can make .327 Federal cases for a whopping $4.20 per piece, but they're not currently taking any new orders. Even if they were, I'd be looking at 42 cents per piece if I got 10 loadings before case failure. Seems awful spendy for straight-wall pistol cases.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions?

contender

Ruger Guru
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

The best way to get new brass is to place an order with Starline. It may be back ordered,, but you will get put "in line & on the waiting list."

They make stuff according to the current demands AND available material.

And I'd call them about the brass problems you've experienced. They may well have an answer for you.

I've used Federal, Hornady & Starline. Yes,, I've gotten the occasional splits etc,, but no major issues.

AND to add to Contenders post, if you put something on back order at Starline, they won't charge your credit card until it ships. Which is a very nice thing to do.

I just buy factory .327 ammo and reload the cases. I've gotten probably close to 8 or 10 reloads on some of my 327 brass.

G2

Hunter
Suggestion on how to acquire ,,,
If You want to get contacted for some "available" 327 Mag brass, you're going to need to get to 10 posts, or post up your email address, or some way to make contact.

Bought new Starline brass, loaded them somewhere between mild and medium hot, got 3 firings out of it, then noticed radial cracks starting to appear just forward of the web portion of the case (indicating incipient case head separation). I realize that the cartridge is rated for a max. pressure of 45,000 psi, but my handloads couldn't have been anywhere near that pressure level, so I was surprised at such a short case life. As a note, I bought the Starlines in 2 separate batches, about 8 months apart, so it's unlikely they were from the same manufacturing lot.

I'm bringing all of this up because I'd like to keep loading this nice little cartridge, but I'm struggling with these issues of short supply and short case life. The only other manufacturer that's come across my radar is Roberson Cartridge Company, who can make .327 Federal cases for a whopping $4.20 per piece, but they're not currently taking any new orders. Even if they were, I'd be looking at 42 cents per piece if I got 10 loadings before case failure. Seems awful spendy for straight-wall pistol cases.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions?

Can you tell us the load that you're using? I know in my 454 Casull Starline cases, I lost a few of them to using Win 231 in a 45 Colt standard type load. Was looking for a light load to try, and the brass really didn't like it at all. I was treated to a number of cases that had axial splits. My thought is that the fast powders expanded the case faster than the slow powders that I usually used for 454 Casull (Lil'gun and H110/296). It didn't give the cases enough time to stretch so they cracked.

I gave up on the light loads, and haven't had a crack since. So my suggestion is to stick to the slower magnum pistol powders.

GB60

Bearcat
Hey Ruger Guys -

Thank you all for your replies. Just returned from a trip to SE Arizona, so haven't been able to catch up on this thread until today.

Still trying for brass from Starline, but for months their site says "Out of Stock, No Backorders". So I called them, and all they could tell me is that .327 Federal hasn't been discontinued, but no idea when they might be doing another run of them. Just keep trying, I guess.

Laserbait, thanks for sharing your experience. Somehow, that hadn't occurred to me, about the problem stemming from going for light loads, which is exactly what I was doing. Right out of the box, I put 100 rounds through it, all Black Hills with 100 gr XTPs at an advertised 1500 fps. Very flattened primers, and very sticky extraction, plus more recoil than I enjoy for extended shooting sessions. So, after carefully honing up the chambers, which were a bit rough from the factory, I started experimenting with reduced-power loads. I eventually found what seemed to be the perfect load for that gun, using 5.0-5.4 gr of VV N340 under 100 gr XTPs - no primer flattening, easy extraction, and notably smaller groups than I'd been seeing with any other loading I'd tried. N340 is nearly halfway between 231 and 110/296 on the burn rate chart, but a little closer to 231. Along the road of experimentation, however, I did some trials with faster powders, 231 or faster. What you're saying about your experience with the .454 makes good sense. Like the .454, the .427 case was designed for high-velocity loads using slower magnum pistol powders. Whenever I manage to get hold of some more brass, I'll be trying out some less-than-maximum loads using VV N110 or N105, or some W296. Thanks for the advice!

G2

Hunter
I worried about flattened primers in my first 327M gun,,,
To acquire some brass I bought a box of American Eagle 100gr JSP. This stuff is 1500 fps as per the printed data on the box and it's HOT, LOAD & Snappy. Primers are flat, very flat.

GB60; Your now up to 2 posts and when you hit 10 you will be able to PM, 😉

Reactions: JCK

GB60

Bearcat
That was my experience, too. Thus, the search for a "sweet spot". Guess I went a little low on the velocities, plus using faster powders, which likely led to the split cases. Next time out, I'll be going for lighter (but not too light) loads using slower powders, and try to find that sweet spot where the primers aren't flattened and the extraction is easy.
By the way, I do enjoy shooting .32 H&R Magnum loads in my gun, but never have experienced the accuracy I got with the .327 Fed. load I mentioned earlier. Also I wonder, if I shoot a whole lot of .32 H&R, if I might be creating some erosion at the front of the chambers, leading to problems with deforming .327 cases further down the line. The gun is now at about 2500 rounds, probably 1/2 and 1/2 on the 2 calibers. I thought about getting a Single-Six in .32 H&R, but I love the 5 1/2" barrel length, plus I'm lusting after a Blackhawk Bisley in .357 Mag. or .41 Mag., or possibly .44 Special. If only I had the $$ for everything I wanted ...

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
GB 60, I fear you may be in for a wait on 327 brass from Starline. When Federal first released the 327 I bought Blackhawk 327 Eight Shooter and had a Model 66 S&W converted to 327. At that time I was able to buy a couple of boxes of factory ammo to shoot up and get some brass as well as ordering a hundred empty cases from Freedom Arms which they had provided from Federal, meanwhile, I got on Starline's waiting list. When they made their first run, I bought a thousand but thinking I then had a lifetime supply. I've allowed my soft heart to be persuaded to sell 300 over the years and lost a few to misadventure and I'm trying to get a #3 Carbine converted to 327, so I've become miserly with those I have left.

I've seen a few boxes of Federal's high performance (20 rounds/box) which are right pricey and American Eagle brand boxes of 50 which are actually fairly reasonable in this day and age. I would suggest you get a few of those if you can find them, then get on Starline's waiting list ASAP. And good luck!

Froggie🐸

In thinking about this thread, it does make me wonder about the fate of 327 Federal Magnum ammunition. The other day at the Cabelas I noticed they had the 30 Super Carry in stock, but zilch on the 327. So then this morning, I go to various websites looking for either factory ammo or just 327 brass. None that I could find.

Here's an extension on this issue. I know you can shoot 32 S&W Long in the 327. Do I need different dies? Or can I just adjust the 327 dies? Would I need different lead bullets? I guess you can probably tell, I haven't studied up on the 32 S&W Long. Only to see that you can order some on back order at Starline Brass. (I'm going to do that right now...) See ya. :)

contender

Ruger Guru
You can load .32 Long, .32 H&R Mag, and .327 on .327 dies as far as I know. I've done it with my dies.

I learned LONG ago,, that if a new caliber comes out,, and you enjoy it,, acquire a lot of brass for that caliber,, "just in case," and of course,, handload. (Contender who has plenty of .327 brass! :D )

I just noticed the post about getting a couple reloads out of Federal cases before 'the primer pockets began to loosen'. Something isn't right about that. Either the brass is way too 'soft'--Federal may have produced some low spec brass in the haste of putting ammo on the shelf or those loads aren't as mild as you think.

I am needing some .327 brass for a Single Seven I got recently. There is none to be found. At least not reasonably. I do have some .32 H&R that I bought quite a while ago for a Single Six in that caliber that I still haven't fired. I also recently scored about 500 rounds of .32 S&W Long, which is going in the wrong direction but at least I can load something up.

I have a contact at Starline who I've talked to a little and he told me that things are improving and they are starting to catch up on the common calibers. He's cautiously hopeful they can get to things like .327 by the end of the year.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
In thinking about this thread, it does make me wonder about the fate of 327 Federal Magnum ammunition. The other day at the Cabelas I noticed they had the 30 Super Carry in stock, but zilch on the 327. So then this morning, I go to various websites looking for either factory ammo or just 327 brass. None that I could find.

Here's an extension on this issue. I know you can shoot 32 S&W Long in the 327. Do I need different dies? Or can I just adjust the 327 dies? Would I need different lead bullets? I guess you can probably tell, I haven't studied up on the 32 S&W Long. Only to see that you can order some on back order at Starline Brass. (I'm going to do that right now...) See ya. :)
You can use the same dies.

Latest posts