.327 Comparison Request.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Single-Sixer
I know there has to be one or two of you out there that have all three of the Ruger .327's, please give us a comparison.

The SP-101 has a 3" barrel, the GP a 4" and the Blackhawk a 5.5", any chrono results between the three. Any of the three show a big accuracy edge? Any case sticking issues like the original SP-101 run? Any of the three shoot the .32 H&R round better?

Kicking around the idea of another .327 and trying to make up my mind between an off the shelf version or another custom. Thanks to all.

jazzman

Single-Sixer
Tim, I only have the sp101 at the moment and can only comment on the part about the sticking in the chambers. My serial number is 574-32xxx and it works great, no sticking, easy extraction. It is just a fun gun to shoot. I purchased this gun this Feb. and I believe that the sticky extraction problem has been fixed on these later models. I hope others chime in as I also would like to hear about the gp and blackhawk. I like the 327 so much the blackhawk is on my short list and as soon as I get some of my backordered ammo in I will be bringing the gun home. I am going to try some H&R thru mine next trip to the range as I have plenty of that ammo, but I can't imagine it would be as fun to shoot as the 327.
Good luck with your decision,

Jim

Single-Sixer
Thanks Jazzman,
I actually had Alan Harton make me up a custom .327 on a .32 H&R SP-101 and it was great. I sold it to finance a Single-Six conversion that is in the works. I was really hoping to hear about the GP and the Blackhawk as well. Guess it hasn't been a big seller yet.

nn

Single-Sixer
The GP 100 is more accurate than the SP 101 and the recoil is much less than in the SP.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I waited when the new SP101 came out as I already had the 32 H&R 3" SP101. When I saw the Blackhawk and the GP100, I bought them on sight. :D Both the larger guns are a hoot to shoot with the 100 gr. Federal Softpoint ammo.

Accuracy: Toss up, really. Neither is a tack-driver off the rest but I never was any good at getting groups out of a revolver off bags. I shoot the BlackHawk better probably due to being so familiar with Ruger SA's. The GP is only my 3rd Ruger DA (SP101's in 32 and 22LR).

Zero sticking issues or any other function problems.

Only the BlackHawk has spit over my buddy's chronograph. The 100 gr. SP load was 1573 fps. :shock: Pretty peppy.

32 H&R's : Both shoot them fine, never noticed a difference between the two so far but only 100 or so rounds through each of the 32H&R reloads. The BlackHawk did chrono near 1,000 fps with 3.0gr of Red Dot under a 115gr RNFP. Nice moderate load for this gun. The GP is slick when loaded with 32 Longs. You can really stroke the DA fast as there is zero recoil and the steel plates really sing. :wink:

I'll try to get some more chrono info in the next few weeks.

Thanks,

32Magfan

Single-Sixer
Thank you 32magfan,
Just what I was looking for. I think I'm probably leaning towards the GP-100, but just by a hair.

Weathermaker

Bearcat
The 327 Federal Magnum cartridge caught my interest shortly after it came out. I couldn't find a SP101 anywhere, but was able to find a Charter Patriot locally...so I bought it. The Charter was a good enough handgun...especially for concealed carry.

But when I found out Ruger had released the GP100 in 327, I decided I had to have one. I already had a GP100 6" in 357 and love it. So, I sold the Charter a couple days ago and went out and bought the GP100 327.

Went to the range and here's my take on it: I've shot dozens of handguns...revolvers and semiauto. All calibers. I have to say the GP100 in 327 is a fun gun and a blast to shot. Absolutely now my favorite.

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
I have the BH and the GP in the 327 Federal Mag. I have yet to shoot them. So, I can't comment on accuracy, recoil etc. First, let me say that I LOVE both of these guns. I like the capacity and the other 32 caliber rounds that these guns can also fire.

If I had to make a choice, between these two guns, based on initial feel and on fit-and-finish alone then I would give the edge to the Blackhawk. It has awesome looking wood grips, it takes one more round than the GP and the fit-and-finish on MY Blackhawk is better than what MY GP possesses. YMMV.

I guess I'm going to have to pick up a 327 SP-101, now. A guy can't just have two out of three available guns now can he?