327 Blackhawk and .30 Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Last week I went out searching for the 327 Blackhawk. There wasn't one around, so a local dealer ordered one for me. Not sure why it took a week, but it's here! They called me this afternoon. The week gave me time to find some ammunition (which I didn't of course, just over priced 32 S&W longs.)

The only other Blackhawk I have is a .30 Carbine. I got pictures of the cylinder for size comparison. the 327 is heavy, but it feels good. I can't wait to get it out to the range. I love the .30 Carbine, so it should be fun.

cylinders.jpg

P1120657.jpg

SixShot: You know I used to live in Idaho (Boise) for about 5 years. That's where I started shooting. So when you said something like the most fun you can have with your clothes on, I took your word for it. The people in Idaho always seemed to be the most genuine from everywhere we've lived.

P1120658.jpg

My gun seems to have the same grip fit as Jeff Quinn's from GunBlast. The metal is just a bit forward of the wood, but I do like the grips though.

P1120652.jpg

2 dogs:
Sorry about that. I remember showing my wife the threads with pictures about the .327. (she indulges me from time to time...) Thus and so, I'm sure you're right! I'm interested in how the 327 compares to the 30 carbine as well.

Also, I didn't mean to talk bad about the fit and finish of the revolver and grips. I really like the rosewood grips. As far as the finish on the revolver, it is really nice. It's been a while since I've bought a new revolver, but the quality is first rate.

lovemydals

Buckeye
.327 Fed ammo? I have 600 rounds of American Eagle .327 Fed on hand. Whenever I found it, I bought a few boxes each time. I started buying knowing that I would adding a SP101 in .327 Fed to my collection & I wanted to be ready for it's arrival. However, since receiving the SP101, I haven't had time to shoot it. Darn! Plans are in the works for a day of fun.

lmd

sixshot

Buckeye
Cherokee, were you referring to me & Fermin.......or the 2 guns! :cry: Yes it was Fermin that said that, I actually don't say much without my clothes on. :wink:
I don't think there's a lot of difference between the 30 carbine & the 327 as far as speed & recoil is concerned, the biggest difference I see is the 30 carbine is louder & a little more picky to load. The 30 carbine headspaces on the case mouth so case length is a factor, plus the 327 has a rim for easy extraction. I like both but this 8 shot bunny whacker is going to be one of my all time favorites, it & my new Alan Harton masterpiece will go with me everyday this year.

Dick

I see the .327 as the logical modernization of the .30 carbine and .32-20 into a straight-walled, rimmed cartridge that avoids some of the reloading concerns of the earlier rounds, suitable for revolver use and perhaps in a nice 1892-version lever-action rifle.

I hope to work one of these into my accumulation as finances allow.

:)

princeout

Blackhawk
Kevin,
If you reload, call up Freedom Arms. My .327 Federal Magnum brass (with primers!) showed up today. They still had some when I called last week.
Tim

I do reload, but I have 100 rounds of 32 long and 300 rounds of 327 on back order at Cabelas. I figured I'd shoot these first before springing for the empty brass and reloading dies. It'll take me probably two years to shoot these 400 rounds. (I take my time and aim slow...actually I just don't have the time to shoot as often as I'd like)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Nice gun, but that wood-to-metal fit looks like an early Taurus! Or worse?

Maybe Ruger should start selling the grips oversize and hope every buyer knows how to use a belt sander! Sad.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
mohavesam":rqxcdyff said:
Nice gun, but that wood-to-metal fit looks like an early Taurus! Or worse?

Maybe Ruger should start selling the grips oversize and hope every buyer knows how to use a belt sander! Sad.

You'd be suprised by the amount of variation that exists between grip frames that are supposed to be the same. I just got done working with a grip frame that I was nearly able to see light through when my factor grips were installed on it. That one definately took some working to get a pair of grips to fit. The New Vaquero "new" XR3 has been very consistant, except for the stainless grip frames which are oversized in the neck, but they have only been in production for four years.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
sixshot - tooo much information !!! I did mean the Ruger's.

Kevin - have you shot the 30 and 327 side by side yet ? I'm an old 30 C Ruger fan but the 327 sounds interesting.