32 Winchester special loads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

40nascar

Banned
Recently acquired an Win 94 std carbine ( 20 inch barrel) looking for good accuracy with power loads. I have Speer and Hornady bullets, all other components. I'm looking for known good recipes. I have new Win brass and std. LR primers. Any help would be appreciated. And please don't send me to reloading manuals. They don't tell me group sizes at 100 yds.

Group size depends on You, your rifle, and your reloading techniques.
Standard Winchester 94 carbines aren't normally provided with target sights.
Since your rifle uses a tubular magazine, don't use pointed bullets as they are likely to chain fire in the magazine during recoil and "power loads" are more likely to cause this with any pointed bullet. Use only round nose or flat nose bullets.
Now I am going to suggest you do use those reloading manuals and start with a charge of powder near the middle of the charge range. A ball powder like Win 748 or Win 760 will meter through a powder measure better giving more consistent charges and will contribute to better accuracy. So try a middle of the road charge and then decide if more or less will please you more.
If you would like to talk about this more, PM your phone number to me and what times are better to reach you and I will have a reloading manual or two in hand when I call.

40nascar

Banned
In 30-30's, I've had good results with RL-7 powder. I want to start there first. It burns faster than alot of others, so there shouldn't be any unburned powder leaving the barrel. Also, less powder is needed, so I can get more loads from 1 lb.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
OP " and please don't send me to the reloading manuals."
1st reply " I'm going to suggest you do use the reloading manuals"
I saw that coming a mile away, LOL.
No one ever seems to be helpful and share proven recipes. I guess few here seem to agree with the premise of Ken Waters book on Pet Loads.

Reactions: JCK
40nascar,
Reloading manuals are a data source for reloading cartridges. Group size is a function of your particular rifle and the ammo you shoot. Therefore, it is not possible for a reloading manual to provide group sizes since most likely their groups will be different anyway. Some manuals note which loads within a powder were most accurate in their 'test barrel'.
Decide what your accuracy, use, satisfaction parameters are and then load/test fire some ammo. When your goal is reached, you've succeeded. Keep in mind: 100 year old rifle (that probably wasn't a tack driver when new), open sights, utilitarian design of firing mechanism all contribute to compromising accuracy.

elmo123

Bearcat
I have fired good groups with IMR4895 and IMR4198 with Speer, Hornady 170's and the 165 Flex Tip bullets. Velocities run around 2150 which is what most of the older factory loads were when I chronographed them. I tried 748 but it wasn't as accurate but it might be in your rifle.

JCK

Single-Sixer
Anything that works with a .30/30 will typically work well in the .32.
I would try LVR!
It gives good to superior accuracy and top velocities.
I Ted to prefer slower powders for top .30/30 loads. My favorite has been RL15, but has been essentially "unobtanium" for several years. Hence, LVR. I've used many powders IMR4198 to IMR4320 with good results. Also, Bullseye to RL15 with cast bullets.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Until recently my go to was IMR 4320. That can is all but empty. I've had a number of 32 Specials over the years. The exact charge varied with the gun. The really old Corelokt's were the most accurate bullet so far. My best 4895 load with my current war erra 94 with Hornady bullets was a bit below the max, but I get a good group and somewhere in the five shots, I get a stray, off an inch or so at 50 yards. IMR 4064 has been good for me as well,again, amount varies rifle to rifle. I'm shooting with a Lyman peep sight. Reloader 7 is going to be my next try. I have noticed that at least my current rifle does not digest max loads. You can feel the extraction more. I don't see much accuracy difference in Speer and Hornady, but Speers give me sticky extraction at charges that Hornady doesn't.
Contrary to everything I've read, none of my 32's have done well with cast bullets. If TrailBoss ever becomes available again, I'll try again, since it has worked for casts in most of my other rifles.
Good luck
Bfly

JCK

Single-Sixer
My experience is that especially with Microgroove barrels, the bullets need to be .002-3" larger tan bore diameter. Try using 8mm .323 -.324" bullets and accuracy will improve.
Also a small tuft of Dacron pillow stuffing!
My 18.5" 2003 M1895 .45/70 shoots like this at 50yds with a .460" 400gr bullet over 20.0gr of #2400 with ~1gr of Dacron over the powder.

Attachments

• EBF8617B-0E15-4D21-973F-D6D547CB2B9B.jpeg
    EBF8617B-0E15-4D21-973F-D6D547CB2B9B.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 59

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Thanks, those things usually work. I've done all that. I've been reloading and shooting cast bullets since the sixties in every thing from 22 cal to45 in rifles and handguns and a couple bore rifles with some amazing results. I have loads for my 5.6x50R and 9.3x62 that will keep 5 touching at 50 and close to an inch at 100. I have not tried powder coated yet. Just poor luck so far with my various 32 specials.
Bfly

I recently sold my last 32 Special and all the reloading components. As you now know bullet selection is very limited and you have both of the best hunting bullets. My best loads came with IMR3031 using max loads from an old Lyman manual. Keep in mind that my rifle had a peep sight and I was shooting off a bench at 100 yards where the best I could do was @ 2.5-3" if the light was just right. If you use about 30 grains and work both up and down in 1/2 grain increments I'm sure that you will find your carbine's sweet spot. But, it's not a target rifle. Have fun making smoke.