32 WCF re loads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have two 32 WCF revolvers; a Ruger NMBH and a USFA. Have been re loading for both and noticed that the USFA has much tighter chambers than the Ruger. To get a loaded round to chamber in the USFA requires re-sizeng with die right on the shell holder and a very light crimp. Ruger is not so fussy.
Anyway, in resolving those issues, I miked the throats on the cylinders. Both .308. Have been re loading with Laser Cast 115 gr. bullets sized .313. Any issues with the .005 larger bullet? Doesn't seem to be on firing etc., but just curious what you all think.

Barrel groove dia. should be .312 on both, you need to slug them to find out.

If groove dia's are right then I would have the throats opened to .314 and shoot the .313 or even .314 dia. cast

DGW1949

Hunter
mhblaw":fqsmy53j said:
I have two 32 WCF revolvers; a Ruger NMBH and a USFA. Have been re loading for both and noticed that the USFA has much tighter chambers than the Ruger. To get a loaded round to chamber in the USFA requires re-sizeng with die right on the shell holder and a very light crimp. Ruger is not so fussy.
Anyway, in resolving those issues, I miked the throats on the cylinders. Both .308. Have been re loading with Laser Cast 115 gr. bullets sized .313. Any issues with the .005 larger bullet? Doesn't seem to be on firing etc., but just curious what you all think.

I'm no expert on the 32-20 but.....
Prior to posting this I checked the throats on my pre-war S&W and found all them to be a uniform .312....which I thought seemed about right for that particular caliber.
Why both of your guns are at .308 is anybody's guess.....but it's real-plain that if you're shooting .313 bullets through them, that your chamber throat is sizing them down to .308 as they pass through. What that means as to the perfomance you're getting, I dunno.....but I do know that if it were me, I'd be carefull about using high-end (+P type) loads on account of possable pressure spikes.
And actualy, I'm a bit surpized that you aint got leading issues.

As far as resizing...what you're dealing with is essentualy a bottle-necked rifle cartridge that has a tapered body. I'd expect to full-length re-size such a cartridge, and especialy if my reloads were intended for more than one gun.

We aint touched on bore size yet. You might want to check that too. If it's close to .308, simply resizing your present bullet might be all the "fix" you need. On the other hand, if it's close to .311-.312, you might want to consider reaming your throats to a proper size instead.

That's all I know about that.
Hope it helped.

DGW

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I load lots of 32-20, two Marlin 1889 rifles are .310 bores, Ruger NM 32-20 is .312, my custom Rugers (2) have 308 bores. I shoot 311 bullets in the rifles, 311-314 in the Ruger NM, and 309-310 in the Ruger customs. These are all cast bullets. I would say, slug your barrel to determine true bore size and size bullets accordingly. Run some test loads to see how the different sizes shoot. Have the chamber throats opened up if necessary.

LightningMan

Bearcat
I'm supprised because I have a pair of USFA's in 32-20 and have no problem shooting .312 or .313 bullets. If I were you I would check with USFA and ask what they are supposed to be. Sounds to me like the cutter got dull and the throats are a little on the small side. LM

mhblaw

Blackhawk
A friend has some of those "whatcha callits" that come in various sizes at .001 difference for each. All three cylinders will take a .311 and not a .312. So it would appear that shooting .313 or .312 cast bullets will work. Thanks for the advice.