32 maggie/ 32/20 Head to Head

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Recently I've been shooting a customized Ruger 30 Carbine using 32/20 Brass & testing several different bullets. Today I mounted a Leupold 4X & retreated to the shooting range for some 18 degree load testing. Using powder coated 113 gr. HP's sized .312" over 10 grs. of 2400 & ignited with a winchester srp it took me 3 shots to get out of the snow & onto the paper at 25 yds. After another 4 shots things were really starting to look interesting.
Here's the next 5 shot group using an MTM pistol rest & very cold fingers.

I didn't chrono this load, it was too cold & no doubt this load can be increased when the weather warms up but for now this load will easily handle all my bunny shooting for the winter along with my 32 maggie. With the added weight of the Blackhawk frame & the scope & mounts this load is like shooting a rim fire.
Now it was getting late so its off for a quickie bunny hunt. I quickly spot one but its blended in with some grass & sagebrush in the background & I'm having a hard time seeing it even with the 4X scope. I pick up my Swarovski binocs & I can see him holding tight, that big black eye is a dead give away on Cottontails. I put the glasses down & pick up the scoped 30/32/20..... Hybrid. Aiming on what I think is the eyeball I gently break the great trigger & he starts kicking snow. A nice 35 yd. shot & my new toy is officially broken in & I've just shot both eyes out of the rabbit.
Five minutes later I'm watching a "hopper" thats what I call a bunny that won't stick, he keeps moving on me. Most of them hold in one spot, sometimes you get a hopper & they move around on you & you have to keep stalking them. All of a sudden I see why. Fifteen yds in front of me an Ermine is stalking the same Cottontail, he see's me & stands up & offhand I take the top of his head off, yippee! You see an Ermine (weasel in the summer) about once every 4-5 years & I've never taken one with a sixgun until now.
They are amazing killers, I've watched twice in my life as one has killed a Cottontail & it doesn't take them long, they are like a Cobra when they attack.
Here's the bunny with both eyes shot out.

Here's my prize of the year, a prime Ermine pelt.

After gathering up my prizes I move on down the snowy road & soon spot another bunny, this one is close so I punch his ticket with my proven 32 maggie & the 100 gr powder coated official rabbit eliminater using 3 grs. of WST, mild but nasty!
I take him back to the truck & its getting late & off in the distance I see another bunny sitting right out in the open at about 60 yds, way to far to try with iron sights but I have my new secret weapon in the truck. I sit down on the seat & use the window for a rest & take a few breaths to steady the cross hairs. I'm having a hard time keeping the scope on the bunny after climbing up the hill in the snow so I have to wait a few seconds to get my heart rate down a bit. OK, things are looking good, easy, easy, crack, that hollow sound from that 113 gr. HP smacking a bunny is a wicked sound, even with muffs on, it really crunched his lunch!
On my way over to retreive him I managed to fall in a crevice in the snow where it had bridged over the lava rocks & I was in a bad way for 10 minutes or so. I couldn't get my bad foot out of the crack, my rubber pac kept trying to pull off. I didn't want to lose my boot in the deep crack. Laying down in the snow I kept working my foot back & forth holding onto my walking stick with my free arm. Finally I got my boot free, it was kind of spooky for a while. I found my bunny & headed for home, 3 bunnies & a very rare Ermine, what a day!

Dick

Jim Puke

Hunter
Good job and glad the mishap turned out well. Keep up the good shootin and BE CAREFUL.

Thanks for posting the bunny safari reports...I do enjoy reading them.

I would like to hear more about the 30/32-20...secret weapon.

contender

Ruger Guru
Dick,,,, first, I'm glad to know you are Ok. I'd hate to hear you got laid up (or worse,) right here at Christmas.

The bunnies? Heck they are in trouble anytime you venture out.
But to get an Ermine is outstanding! I've never had the pleasure of getting one with anything,,, and for you to nail one with a handgun, (not surprised) is great.

That 30/32-20 is coming along nicely. Do some more range testing & fill everyone in!

Great story, hunter!

Do you have to resize the .32-20 brass much when you shoot it in your "hybrid"? What diameter bullets do you use to load the .32-20 you shoot in that .30 Carbine chamber? Or is it still a stock .30 Carbine chamber?

I'd like to know the specs of shooting .32-20 in a .308 barrels since I'm considering putting a .32-20 barrel on my Contender Carbine, and can't decide which bore diameter to choose. I'd go with the larger bore but the #$%&@!!! trend in Blue states like mine is to require non-lead bullets and there are MUCH larger choices in .308.

sixshot

Buckeye
Guys the 30 carbine is a stock gun that I picked up from a buddy last spring. Like most he was tired of fighting the 30 carbine brass thing of head spacing on the case mouth & having to trim to an exact length & having them stick in the cylinder if everything wasn't just right, etc. He had sent the gun to Gary Reeder a year ago to have an action job, Taylor throating, a free spin pawl, inverted muzzle crown, & Gary's ChromeX blueing, plus it had a V rear sight & a Reeder custom gold bead front sight. Also he had Reeder drill & tap the gun for a scope (new model)
So, a lot of excellent exterior work but the gun was still a stock 30 carbine. A V rear notch is fast but for most of us its very poor for accuracy so I ordered a replacement ramp type front sight a little bit taller.
There was close to $1000 in custom work done to this gun & I bought it EXTREMELY reasonaable, and its all because most people get tired of the headspace thing in 30 carbines. So thats the reason for switching to 32/20 brass. It has a rim & by simply trimming about 1/10" off, I think I went just a bit over 1/10" to get it to fit in my cylinder with a loaded round I was ready to shoot. Factory brass will drop right in empty but not with a bullet seated, you have to trim it!
I've shot .309", .311", .312" (best in my gun) & everyone of them has shot good. You just have to remember to start low & work your way up, just like normal. I also shoot 30 carbine in mine if I have to but with a lot of 32/20 brass & the ease of loading it, why mess with 30 carbine. I have shot some heavier loads but not from a rest & it was very cold so no true results but no doubt I can go much higher than 10 grs of 2400 and still be on safe ground. Also H110 will get tested when the weather warms but looking at the target above you have to ask yourself, do I need more accuracy & also do I need more power if I'm killing rabbits at 60 yds.
My powder coat bullets weigh 113 grs, sized .312" & are GC'ed. The bottle necked 32/20 cases after a couple of firings show just a very slight shoulder after going through the 30 carbine cylinder.
Both of these little guns are loaded down for the intended purpose, they are quiet, no recoil, a lb. of pound lasts all winter & there are rabbit cemetery's all over SE Idaho because of them. I can take both much higher when I need to & when that happens the 32/20 will easily out distance the 32 maggie but I also have an 8 shot 327 Blackhawk if things get serious & they will when we go to Wyoming for Jackrabbits that can weigh as much as a large chicken.
Those will get hammered with the 140 gr. Ferminator HP & a heavy dose of H110, stay tuned. Notice on the bunny where I shot the eyes out, his eye is gone & its sitting on his forehead, look close!

Dick

Thanks, Dick. I guess I'll just have to "fit and try" with the .308 bullets in cases meant for .312 bullets. May need a custom crimp die in the end. But experimenting means I get to SHOOT more....

sixshot

Buckeye
Mike, I'm using Redding 32/20 dies & a Redding taper crimp die & as you can see everything is working great with very little experimenting so far. When I used 30 caliber cast slugs I just powder coated & didn't size them, hope that helps. I'll do more in the spring, including running the different loads over the chronograph.

Dick

sixshot

Buckeye
Yes, the cottontails are very good eating. I like to soak them in some water over night with a little salt added or you can use milk. Then cut them up just like chicken, bread them & fry. Or you can put them on the smoker after putting some rub on them. I've also make rabbit stew, adding some carrots, potatoes, onions, celery & seasoned to taste.

Dick

Sheriff

Single-Sixer
Mike Armstrong said:
Great story, hunter!

Do you have to resize the .32-20 brass much when you shoot it in your "hybrid"? What diameter bullets do you use to load the .32-20 you shoot in that .30 Carbine chamber? Or is it still a stock .30 Carbine chamber?

I'd like to know the specs of shooting .32-20 in a .308 barrels since I'm considering putting a .32-20 barrel on my Contender Carbine, and can't decide which bore diameter to choose. I'd go with the larger bore but the #$%&@!!! trend in Blue states like mine is to require non-lead bullets and there are MUCH larger choices in .308.

Mike, Hornady dies for the .32-20 came with 2 expander 'buttons', .308 and .312. the contender barrels for the .32-20 were .308, most still are. It's not a problem loading .308 bullets in .32 cal cases. Been doing it for my Contender for years.....

Kevin said:
Nice, I've never seen an Ermine, sort of looks like a ferret. I can't image it would taste good, but do you eat the rabbits?
Ermine are weasels in their winter coat if I am not mistaken. Trapped for the beautiful fur, it makes good trimmings on expensive coats.
gramps

Thanks, Sheriff--that makes me confident in getting a .308 barrel for my .32-20. I've always like .32-20s and have several but the "nonlead bullet" situation here made me a little nervous about keeping em fed!

I'll let you guys know how the nonlead bullets work out when I get my barrel back from Match Grade Machine.