.32 mag Single Six-opinions sought

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shaylex

Bearcat
Hello all. I've been lurking here for some time and have decided to register to pick your collective brains.

Today I saw a Ruger Single Six chambered in .32 H&R magnum. It was a blued model with adjustable sights. Not sure of the exact barrel length but looked to be right around 6 inches. Some blue worn from the end of barrel, presumably from being carried in a holster. I also noted that one of the screws in the bottom of the gripframe, near the rear of the triggerguard, was slightly boogered. I have found that I like the H&R magnum round and think that this would make a fine small game and plinking gun. Price tagged at $395. I am thinking about picking it up. This would be my first Ruger single action revolver. I do have a Super Redhawk and a couple of autos. Anybody care to offer their thoughts one way or the other? Your opinions welcomed. Thanks in advance.

DGNY

Bearcat
Excellent caliber for your proposed use. Ammo expensive for its size, so reloading a good plan. Price sounds as though you might ask an adjustment for the light damage. I have 2 in 4 5/8". Belt Mountain pin helped accuracy, but each revolver is different.

Good luck!

Regards,

Dyson

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
That is actually a decent price for that gun. Prices on .32 magnums has gone very high in the last few years. The barrel would be 6 1/2". Wouldn't worry about the screw . It would depend on if you handload or not. I love the .32 magnums but handload only. Last box of .32 magnum shells I saw were close to $40 for 50 rounds. If you cast your own bullets and handload it is very cheap to shoot.

2 dogs

Buckeye
One of my most favorite caliber. I have several custom 32's myself. I would go back and get that one QUICK.

G2

Hunter
I think $395 is a fair price for the condition. Boogered screw is easily replaced. It could be either 5.5" or 6.5" either length is good, fact is I think there all good. 4.6", 6.5", 9.5". I also have a 6.5" adj. sight that's getting a little work over. (not pictured)

FUN Guns to shoot.

3ruger32s.jpg

Single-Sixer
$395.00 is a good price right now especially for an adjustable sighted one. I've found mine to be an outstanding gun that just suits me great for size and power. I have to agree with the others on reloading, it's a necessity for this round unless you've got loads of spare cash.

I'd buy it, they won't be getting any cheaper.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
It's a neat little cartridge as long as you handload.

I have a 4 5/8" barreled fixed sight one that looks an awful lot like that last picture in Axehandle's post. It's a VERY fun little gun.

Daryl

contender

Ruger Guru
Don't get it!!!! It ain't worth a darn! Stay away!!!!

:D :D

Ok, now that I've had a little fun,,,, realize that MANY of us around here absolutely enjoy the little 32 mag caliber Single-Six's. I have several myself.

Funny story; (It shows my ignorance,,, somewhat.)
Way back when they brought out the Bisley griped guns, I didn't like them as they weren't traditional "Old Model" Rugers & I felt they weren't any good. Then along came the 32 mag. Again, I figured "Heck, that caliber won't last, it'll be a flash in the pan." attitude. So I thought I'd be "smart" and get one of the 32's in that odd grip type called a Bisley. Well, I did. I decided to put it up as a safe queen, and sell it for big bucks when it was dropped & all. Then a few months later I found a standard Single-Six shooter grade 32 mag. Cheap. I bought that one. I made the mistake of shooting that one. I LIKED it. Well, fast forward several years. I have 3 shooter 32 mags, and a few other safe queens. I wish I had bought MORE of those odd gripped 32's when I was smart enought to think they wouldn't last. They aren't cheap anymore.

Go, run, get that 32 & don't look back.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
I never pass up a chance to praise the .32 H&R Mag in general, and the Ruger Single Six .32 Mag in particular.

Love it. I believe the .32 Mag is the most under appreciated cartridge in America.

coyoterevolverdy3.jpg

Dale53

Blackhawk
My first .32 H&R was a Ruger Single Six. It was the 4 5/8" version. Nice to carry but noticeably harder to shoot than my shooting buddy's 6.5" barrel. I ended up selling mine to a friend who really wanted it.

I ended up with two S&Ws (a 631 4" kit gun, a S&W 16-4 K-32 6") and recently added a Ruger SP101.

I cast my own bullets and have a Group Buy mould from Cast Boolits Forum in a 100 gr Keith that shoots REALLY well. I find that I mostly shoot target and edible small game. For that purpose I use .32 S&W L cases. Hornady makes a fine bulk packed HBWC that shoots very well and works fine on edible small game (rabbits and grouse, et al).

I shoot several thousand rounds of .32's a year and enjoy them immensely. The Ruger Single Six is a very nice handgun for practice AND the field.

Dale53

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
My .32 mags... one in every barrel length and one birdshead grip model.

I very seldom pay the asking price of a used gun. No box, no papers, gun has been shot, screw buggered (true, can be replaced)... I'd offer the dealer $325... but go no higher than $350. But if you want it bad enough to pay full asking price.... its YOUR money! 8)

I recently sold a 5.5" NIB for $550.

My32mags.jpg

kentdep

Single-Sixer
I like the .32 H&R too. I have two. One is a 5 1/2 inch plow handle that is in great condition and the other is a 6 1/2 Bisley. My wife shoots two of the Vaqurito version in Cowboy Action Shooting matches. We load a 100 grain cast bullet over 2.5 grains of Trail Boss powder. It is a great little plinking load for her.

I don't think that the asking price is too bad. I might mention to the sales person the buggered screw and then offer something like $350 out the door. You can get the screws cheap through Brownells. Let us know how you come out.

Jay

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
They don't make them any more and they are getting harder to find. Most of them that go through the for sale on this site seem to have a price tag of around $600. You could always try for less but my guess it wont last long where it is currently priced.

Like the others have said, the 32 H&R really shines when you reload your own ammo. I've yet to start making my own bullets but it's next on my list. It is a neat little gun just made for plinking and small game. I think the 32 got a bum rap because of the 32 auto and 32 S&W rounds.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
JWhitmore44":27e037n8 said:
Like the others have said, the 32 H&R really shines when you reload your own ammo. I've yet to start making my own bullets but it's next on my list. It is a neat little gun just made for plinking and small game. I think the 32 got a bum rap because of the 32 auto and 32 S&W rounds.

Agree!

And, Federal was the only ammo maker to offer ammo for it. That didn't help any either.

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
Go back and BUY IT NOW.... if its not too late
Reload for it and you will love it...

Greg, that is one beautiful picture.. any pic tips ?

FrontSite