32 MAG SHOOTING OFF TO SIDE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WARD

Single-Sixer
A friend came to me with a 4.75" 32 Mag he bought several years ago with birds head grip, blue and cc finish. He said he shot it a bit after he bought it but couldn't hit anything with it so he put it in the back of the safe and left it. He took it out recently and still couldn't hit anything with it so we went to the range and we both tried from a sandbag rest and found the gun is shooting at least six inches to the right at 25 yards.

If you look down on the top of the gun you can see that the barrel and frame do not appear to be in proper alignment. The barrel seems to be pointing off to the right with respect to the frame. Rather disappointing.

What do you do with something like this?

Thanks
Ward

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Normally you turn the barrel a little bit. If the gun is shooting to the right, you need to loosen the barrel, which will make the sight move to the right.

If you say it is already pointing too far to the right, then that is a problem. I would guess you need to send it back to Ruger.

flatgate

Hawkeye
BIgMuddy":1tbm6bl9 said:
I would guess you need to send it back to Ruger.

Call Service in Newport, NH and politely describe the trouble and nicely ask for a "prepaid" shipping carton.

I SURE WISH RUGER WOULD TEST THE GUNS PRIOR TO SHIPPING!

Proof/function firing at a bullet trap just ain't cuttin' it........

flatgate

ronipike

Bearcat
the same thing happened to a friend of mine with his Blackhawk hunter. Sent it in and 8 weeks later it came back fixed.

WARD

Single-Sixer
I've received acknowledgement from Ruger that they received it - they were quick on this. I sent the gun on 10/01, they received it on 10/02 and I received the note today 10/08.

Ward

WARD

Single-Sixer
I received the gun back today - the packing slip reads:

barrel repaired
ejector rod repaired
repair, safety function check and test firing have been completed.
release for shipping.

Thats all they said. That's three weeks to the day from when I sent it to them. It is hard to tell what they've done but the turnaround is sure great! I hope to be able to get it to the range this weekend and see if the point of impact has improved.

Ward

WARD

Single-Sixer
Since there seems to be some interest (545 views) in this thread, I will continue posting....

I got a chance to shoot the gun yesterday, not at the range with sandbags but off the hood in the field shooting at some softball size dirt chunks at about 50 yards. The windage was pretty much spot on and I am very happy. Holding a rather proud front sight I was able to break up several of the dirt chunks. This is going to be a fun little Ruger!

For the life of me, I can't figure out what they did to the gun to get it to shoot where it should..... But I am glad they did it!

Thanks Ruger for a good job and in very quick time!

Ward

PS - since I showed such interest in this revolver, it has been agreed that it is now going to stay at my home!

Merlinspop

Bearcat
Ward - Good to hear that it was fixed, even if it remains a mystery exactly what was fixed and how. Does your friend happen to have other firearms you can show interest in? ;-)

WARD

Single-Sixer
I have to say that I consider myself very fortunate to have friends like that.... But then its not just a one way street either.

Ward

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Just a guess, sounds like the re-aligned the barrel hence the barrel repaired and ejector rod housing repaired (ejector rod housing was probably twisted from being torqued down with barrel unaligned).