32 H&R magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cyberscout19

Single-Sixer
What is a good powder puff load ? I bought Speer 98 grain hollow base wadcutters. I have on hand Bullseye,unique,231,Blue dot and Trail Boss. It will be for a Ruger single six. 4 5/8 " barrel.

Thanks.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
Have you no loading manuals, Sir ?

The SPEER manuals shows a MAX load as being almost twenty percent LESS than what is noted here previously. There is a damn good reason why !

And so it goes...

Big Old Boy

Hunter
As Wil Terry said. All of the info you seek is in a loading manual I would never load anything without one, be safe stay safe.

Rclark

Hunter
I've done some testing with 32H&R ... but not with a hollow based wadcutter. My loads were tested with 78g RN, 100g RN, and 115g RNFP. You'll need to find a manual for your particular bullet... loading with the Single Six (or Seven, or Baby Vaquero) you have quite a range of power to load too if desired. The sky is not falling so to speak if loading warm :) . However the soft hollow based wadcutter should be ran at the low low end of pressure range.

{edited} My Speer #12 shows 2.8 to 3.0 Unique under the 98g HB-WC COL 1.075"

dougader

Hunter
WIL TERRY said:
Have you no loading manuals, Sir ?

The SPEER manuals shows a MAX load as being almost twenty percent LESS than what is noted here previously. There is a damn good reason why !

And so it goes...

RNFP = Round Nose Flat Point, Will. I gave no data for his 98 grain HBWC.

cyberscout19: I was away from my manuals when I posted my data... it is only for the 94 grain rnfp bullet I use from Meister bullets.

Your Speer HBWC takes less powder, and has a soft lead skirt that you don't want to load hot for.

Speer 14 says 231 @ 2.2 grains start load - 2.4 grains max load with their 98 grain HBWC bullet. Cartridge Overall Length ("COL") is listed at 1.075"

Follow the safe handloading practices in your Lyman manual, and please NOTE that the data for 32 H&R mag in your manual is for the 90 grain HBWC as the weight difference can make a big difference in such a relatively small case.

Loading your Speer HBWC with the Lyman data developed for the Hornady bullet is NOT recommended.

contender

Ruger Guru
Wil Terry makes a good point.
A manual is essential. Yet,, all reloaders need more than one manual. The knowledge, & info in each different one is vast & helpful. Reloaders should have a library of manuals to be able to match up the proper components to make safe ammo. Those books are CHEAP compared to potential injuries or damages that can occur if you follow internet advice or any other method that has not been tested & published.

sixshot

Buckeye
The big difference here is the seating depth, not the bullet weight & that's where some people can get in a little trouble if not using a reloading manual. The RNFP or a SWC is crimped in the crimp groove with quite a bit of the bullet seated out of the case. With the full wadcutter, even being the same weight a lot more of the bullet is deep seated which of course creates a lot more pressure with the same powder charge.
Good advice to use 2-3 different reloading manuals & compare powders, seating depths, primers, pressures, etc.

Dick

cyberscout19

Single-Sixer
Thank you gentlemen for the sound advice. I did e-mail Speer and the gave me the info for their bullet.