32 H&R Frame Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rainman

Blackhawk
Did all of the 32 H&R Single Six "Vaquerito" (SSM-4F-I) come with steel gripframes and steel ejector rod housings? My other Single Six 32s with adjustable sights have alloy frames.

Does the "I" in the SSM-4F-I mean it was shipped with fake ivory grips?

Dan

BlkHawk73

Hunter
The "I" does designate it was shipped with the polymer ivory grips. Both of my fixed sight .32's have steel grip frames but then again, they're bird head models.

CraigC

Hawkeye
All the fixed sight .32 Single Sixes were all steel. All the adjustable sight models wore aluminum grip frames and ejector housings.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Digging up this old topic rather than starting a new one, because the title is perfect, even if it doesn't answer my question:

I believe this to be true, I just want to verify: Are the .32 H&R mag Vaqueritos built on a Single Six sized frame?

Is there any chance Ruger could produce, or a gunsmith could convert one to .327, or even .38 Special? Or is there now enough strength and/or metal in the cylinder? 5 shot?

Thanks in advance,

-- Sam

W.E.G.

Bearcat
Yosemite Sam said:
Is there any chance Ruger could produce, or a gunsmith could convert one to .327, or even .38 Special? Or is there now enough strength and/or metal in the cylinder? 5 shot?

OAL of the .327 Federal cartridge is 1.470

My .32 mag Single-Six cylinder measures 1.404
Maybe if you got rid of the part of the barrel that extends between the frame and the cylinder.
I guess you could even enlarge the opening in the frame.

Does the .327 Federal do anything important that the .32 magnum does not already do?
I would expect shooting full-house .327 Federal loads on the Single-Six frame would probably wreck the frame in fairly short order.

Moreover, doesn't the .327 Federal need a lot of barrel to take full advantage of the extra case capacity?
By then, you might as well just have a long-barreled Blackhawk.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
That would sort of put a crimp in the plan, so to speak, no? Hadn't thought of length.

Thanks for the info, and confirming the Single Six frame bit.

-- Sam

In answer to the question, yes you can have a single six 32 Mag converted to 327. It requires a new longer cylinder and to shorten the barrel protrusion that extends into the cylinder window. John Gallager did this for me on a 32 Mag bisley.
IMG_0173.jpg

gak

Buckeye
All of the "usual" top Ruger customizers are offering the .327 conversion, as was stated about Gallagher, each providing a new cylinder for the job and "adjusting" the barrel extension/gap accordingly--but no frame mods necessary. This also is why we're seeing H&R cylinders showing up on Gunbroker, etc.
As soon as I can afford, all my .32 Vaqueritos is destined for such a conversion. Ruger ought to be offering this service for a nominal fee! A no brainer especially if they're not planning on "doing the right thing" with a .327 Single Six of their own. The service would "require" a new caliber roll mark/refinish, so that may cause the accountants to kick the market back to the aftermarket customizers, but it's a nice thought!

CraigC

Hawkeye
W.E.G. said:
Does the .327 Federal do anything important that the .32 magnum does not already do?
I would think, it tends to sling its lead 400-500fps faster than the H&R. It's a true magnum and runs at double the H&R's pressure. So yeah, it's definitely doing something besides making noise. ;)

W.E.G.

Bearcat
I guess if the barrel is long enough, you get those kinds of numbers in the comparison.

I'm not seeing it in a barrel in the 5-inch range.
Maybe I'm using the wrong powder for my study.

32mag.jpg

327fed.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
It's common sense, for a given barrel length, if you increase powder capacity AND double operating pressure, you're gonna gain a lot of velocity. So obviously a longer barrel will yield higher velocities than a shorter one but that does not mean that a 4 5/8" .327 won't shoot 400fps faster than a 4 5/8" .32H&R. Highest velocities are always realized with slow burning powders, regardless of barrel length.

You are using the wrong powder and maximum pressure is 45,000psi, not 33,000.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Yosemite Sam said:
I believe this to be true, I just want to verify: Are the .32 H&R mag Vaqueritos built on a Single Six sized frame?

Sam, Answer to your first question; the .32 Mag Vaqueritos were built on the Single-Six size cylinder frame. But used a shorter steel grip frame.

2nd question; a few years back I saw an article by John Taffin in, IIRC, American Handgunner, I don't remember who the gunsmith was but am pretty sure it was Alan Harton, who had used a Single-Six frame and built a 5-shot .38 Special on it. Also, a 5-shot .41 Special. IIRC, he had to machine new cylinders but they were very close in size to the Ruger cylinders for the Single-Six.

Wish I still had that issue of AH!

gak

Buckeye
It is a popular myth that all .32 Vaqueritos are built with a shorter gripframe since many of them were so constructed for the ladies/youth (and others of small paw) market. However, a good many--thankfully--were also built with the standard (.22/.22M-but steel-) Single Six gripframe using "regular", ie large, XR3 Red grip panels per the large Vaquero and Blackhawk frames. I've had several plowhandle .32 Vaquerito SS's that were made this way, built throughout the Vaquerito's production period, often found as several of mine were, confusingly right alongside their shorter companions in the store's gun case. More often than not, the salesman had no clue the difference...or he wasn't saying. You, the buyer, had to beware and be the educated one going into the transaction....and still do!

Five-shot .38 SS conversions are another service most of the top Rugersmiths provide, Harton being one of the Magnificent half-dozen or so that do.

CraigC

Hawkeye
cas said:
CraigC said:
All the adjustable sight models wore aluminum grip frames...

Unless it's a Bisley of course. ;)
True!

Yep, as gak posted, the early fixed sight .32's had steel XR3-RED grip frames, not the short version.

The New Models can be opened up to a five-shot .38Spl but the .41Spl must be built on an Old Model.